PDA

View Full Version : Little River townsend

flyfishingphoneman
11-30-2007, 08:07 PM
Having fished the smokies for many years I have always passed up the water through town. Being cold I would like to try different waters that maybe a little warmer. After seeing the fishing report today and reading that TWRA stocked some large trout I got to thinking. Why don't I try fishing the little river through town. So here is my question. Where are some good spots to enter and exit through town with out being on private property and making the land owners mad. Lord knows enough people do this through out the summer I do not want to add to the frustration in the fall. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin_Thomas
12-08-2007, 10:53 PM
I tried the stockers through town today and hooked up with a really nice one on a red copper john. Had a hard time landing him because of the location and finally broke him off after a really good fight. Anybody willing to share some tactics for wade fishing through Townsend?

Kevin

milligan trout degree
12-08-2007, 11:08 PM
I'd like to get some information on fishing through town also. Are campgrounds pretty particular about access? I assume they are. I plan on fishing through town early friday morning before moving up into the park as it warms during the day.

flyfishingphoneman, how was the fishing when you were there? fish down deep with nymphs? Fish active?

Kevin_Thomas
12-09-2007, 10:46 AM
I don't know about the campgrounds... I should have checked the water temp, because they weren't very active. I just wanted to fish a little and came close to landing a very nice fish. I did get close enough at one point to see that it had some nice color. I'm actually not too upset that I didn't land it. It was just nice to feel a good fish on the reel. I normally have to drive to the SoHo for that.

David Knapp
12-09-2007, 10:34 PM
Kevin, glad to hear you've been doing some fishing... I'm dreaming up some fishing around Christmas time on the SoHo (and other places:rolleyes:), hopefully for some big fish. Shoot me an email if you're interested...

About the stockers in Townsend, I know a lot of people like to use SJ worms. Small streamers might be a good bet as well...

CinciVol
12-10-2007, 08:34 AM
Kevin,

This is crazy, but I fished the Little River in Townsend yesterday (I cheated and was spin-fishing) and caught a nice 16-inch 'bow that had a red Copper John still hooked in his jaw. It had to be the same fish that you hooked. He must have been quite a fight on a fly rod and at least you can take comfort that you had a nice, solid hook-set! I stole the fly, so I owe you one! That was the biggest fish I caught all day, but I landed about 5 more and had hits from TONS of fish.

I stopped in the shop prior to heading out and Byron was right, the (relatively) high and stained water really made the fish very aggressive. I would have tried streamer fishing but I'm pretty lousy at it so I was using a small Rapala minnow, but I'm sure a Clouser would do well if you knew what you were doing.

milligan trout degree
12-10-2007, 09:39 AM
I'm glad to hear you did pretty well Cincivol, hopefully the temps will stay up some through this weekend. Are there any legal access points along the little river outside the park? I'm only familiar with the river as it runs between LRO and the park.

CinciVol
12-10-2007, 10:26 AM
Milligan,

Not sure what the rules are on posting exact access locations are on this message board, but I would try parking at the bridge right's of way downstream of LRO in Townsend and I think you are ok legally.

I started out the day fishing way downstream at Walland (where the foothills parkway crosses the river) and it is apparently too warm for trout or they don't stock them there. I did catch a 12" smallmouth though (very unexpected!)

My advice, of course, would be to stop in at LRO since it's right near the river and they'll steer you to the best spots on the river!

milligan trout degree
12-10-2007, 11:21 AM
Appreciate it Cinci. I'm not looking for anyones honey hole, I'm just looking for a place to enter the water without getting shot at. I plan on stopping by LRO early friday morning before I fish anyhow.

Kevin_Thomas
12-10-2007, 02:41 PM
David... I'd love to head to the SoHo/Watauga anytime...

Cinci... That would be pretty crazy if that were the same fish...

Milligan... I may take Friday off and fish too. Hope I run into you!

Troutman
12-11-2007, 09:49 PM
Got in a few hours myself today. I caught a bunch of bows from 14" -16" and one long skinny one that was 17". They don't have much coloration but very strong fighters. A few on nymphs, Princes and a special caddis fly that my friend Chad ties. The rest on the old reliable stocker trout fly, the black bugger.
A beautiful day to wrap up a great year of fishing.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/gltroutman/erinsfolder009.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/gltroutman/erinsfolder007-1.jpg

Merry Christmas from the Troutman!!
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/gltroutman/erinsfolder006.jpg

ChemEAngler
12-11-2007, 10:04 PM
Troutman,
Thanks for the report and pics. I am glad to hear that there are still some decent sized bows being caught. Your post is really causing a dilemma for me. I had plans to travel to another water, but seeing those pics is making me rethink my plans.

Travis

TroutAssasin
12-12-2007, 12:08 AM
troutman,
Sounds you had a pretty good day. Thanks for the report. I may have to head down that way on the break.

TA

milligan trout degree
12-12-2007, 01:29 AM
I just got really excited as I'm sitting in my dorm room tying black and olive wooly buggers for my little river trip on friday. I plan to fish the stocked portion of the little river from dawn to lunch, and then move into the park either on the middle prong or on the little river through elkmont since I've never fished that water. Anybody have any votes on which I should hit up. I know the middle prong and lynn camp pretty well and have no clue about the little river through elkmont. I'm excited about chasing some brooders through town though.