PDA

View Full Version : My best Holston Trout today...

Leinart
12-02-2007, 10:26 PM
I wade fished the Holston solo today and managed to land a 17+ inch Rainbow on a size 20 trico polywing spinner! That is my biggest catch on the Holston to date and maybe my biggest Tennessee Trout ever.
I did not see any other fishermen around me at all. Did any of you hit the Holston today??
best ones!
dan

ChemEAngler
12-02-2007, 10:59 PM
Dan,
Sounds like you had a good day. What were the fishing conditions like today? Did you see a caddis hatch of any significance, or was it more or less random? I have only made it over to the Holston once before, but would like to try it out again soon.

Travis

mtnman2888
12-03-2007, 07:42 AM
Congrats on the fish! I've only made it up there once but i'm thinking of making it a habit to head up there this winter. The only problem is it's about a 3 hour drive for me, sure wish it was shorter.

Craig

Leinart
12-03-2007, 10:05 AM
Measured water temperature was 55F; air temp was high enough that I fished in shirtsleeves and no jacket. The skies were overcast, and the water was low with undetectable hourly pulses. Wind was calm except for the massive influx of blackbirds that repeatedly passed over the river causing the surface of the water to dimple as if the rains had set in- the rains had not!! (Wink!). Assorted insects were active, but no hatches that I would call major. There were minimal rising fish with the irregular "Ker SPLASH!!" of something big. Re: hatches. Keep in mind that although I attended the LRO stream entomology class this year I still am no expert in the insect ID category. There were some size 40 white "dots" flying around, also, some (I suspect) size 18 Sulphers, and a few critters that reminded me of Grannom.
I fished from 2:15 til 4:55. The fish had nothing to do with me til 4:00 an after.
NOTE: This was the first time I fished with a cell phone on me. It came in handy on the Holston when I was confronted with a No Trespassing/No fishing sign. The sign had phone numbers on it and I used my cell to get a one time free pass across private property from the owner.
best ones!
dan

fishNlady
12-03-2007, 11:06 AM
We fished the Holston from 10 am til around 2 pm and they were rising pretty good from about 11 til the time we left the water around 2 pm. I got 5 all in the 12 to 15 inch range and my husband hooked one bigger but lost him when he went to net him and he jumped and the hook came out of his mouth. He may have been around 16 or 17 inches. All of them were caught on a #14 Caddis. I saw all those "white dots" too. What were they? Caddis maybe? I don't know my bugs very well either. I think there were some blue wings flying around too, yesterday. I remember a guy showing me some of them one time before.

Where were you at? We were about 1/2 mile below the dam. I didn't see anybody on the river either until we left and there was a guy fishing off the boat ramp with worms. He caught a couple rainbows in that same size range and a catfish while we were chatting with him before we left. The Holston is one of my favorite fishing spots. We usually float down in a canoe until we find a good spot to stop and wade awhile. Did you see the eagles yesterday? I tried to get a picture of them for my computer wallpaper but they never came close enough to get a good photo.

Leinart
12-03-2007, 12:41 PM
I've been on Google Earth trying to get an answer to that question. Seems I was fishing that 1/4 mile stretch of the Holston (and it seems the *only* stretch) that is parallel to Clark Road. Also, I suspect I was about 6 river miles below the dam.
Reminder: At least part of that area is private property.
df

David Knapp
12-03-2007, 05:58 PM
Dan,

Sounds like you had a good time! Good job on the nice fish! The Holston is the one tailwater I have yet to try. Its so hard to plan a trip there when I could drive another hour and a half or so and be on the SoHo. I suppose I'll eventually have to try it out though...

David

wynnsman
12-03-2007, 08:38 PM
Hey all I fished there saturday caught all mine on copper beaded wd-40 midge. I usually fish near the wiers. Couldnt make it sunday glad you had a good day by yourself, very crowded sat..

monktrout
12-04-2007, 10:17 AM
Only fished the Holston once. I know access is limited. Without giving up the family honey hole, could someone mention the public access. Thanks

TroutAssasin
12-07-2007, 12:00 AM
I fished the holston wed morning up at the dam. I only managed to land 3 fish. All on a bh prince #16. One was about 12 inches and put up a heck of a fight because i hooked him in the back. The other 2 were in the 9 to 10 inch range. I, too, noticed those small white dots on the water. Overall it was a very slow day, only had about half a dozen hits. It was also very difficult to fish with the wind, and no sun. I was very dissapointed with my performance on the holston following my last fishing trip on the clinch. I managed to land over a dozen on the clinch last weekend in only a couple of hours.

wynnsman
12-08-2007, 11:56 AM
Hey monktrout do a search of the river on a map and look for rockhold road theres a few places to pull off on that road but you need to go through Bluff City to get there. Also look for Big Springs road too. Plenty of pull offs there too. And you cant go wrong by fishing right below the dam on Osceola Island. Hope this helps.

Gerry Romer
12-08-2007, 02:34 PM
Hey monktrout do a search of the river on a map and look for rockhold road theres a few places to pull off on that road but you need to go through Bluff City to get there. Also look for Big Springs road too. Plenty of pull offs there too. And you cant go wrong by fishing right below the dam on Osceola Island. Hope this helps.

I believe he's asking about public access on the Holston, not the South Holston.

I know if you run a message board search on the Holston, you'll get quite a few hits on it and many of those posts discuss public access. I was discussing this thread with another board member the other day and we had to pull out my DeLORME to find a number of spots mentioned.

I haven't fished the Holston myself, but he's quite familiar with it. In fact he's recommended that I try it a number of times. He mentioned the Tampico area, the Indian Cave area, and the Nances Ferry area. If you've got, or can get your hands on, a DeLORME Atlas, these areas are easy to find. Of course, finding them on a map and finding actual, for real, parking areas once you get there are two entirely separate things.

Good luck... and check out the archive or search for prior listings - lots of helpful info there.

Gerry