PDA

View Full Version : Pigeon Forge Batlinburg Fishing

castleft
12-03-2007, 10:19 PM
I am planning trip to Gatlinburg. I had heard they have restricted harvest fishing. Any advice on fly fishing river from lower gatlinburg down to Pigeon Forge. How is It? And what flies work best in that area this time of yr. Any Advice appreciated.

Green Weenie
12-04-2007, 12:16 PM
LOL! 'Batlinburg' indeed!

wmwalker
12-04-2007, 02:55 PM
I fished that area the week of Thanksgiving and the water was low and did not do good.:frown: But it might have just been me.:confused: But I did fish down in Peigon Forge area in front of the River Edge RV location between the first bridge just as you enter in PF from GB. Caught Three Nice RB's in the pools.:biggrin: Here is a picture of one that my Son inlaw caught
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc269/wmwalker_2007/MTN/GSMNP2007015.jpg

JNTN
12-04-2007, 10:13 PM
I love to fish the stretch between the two towns. Supriseingly little pressure and some very nice fish, some quite large (20"+). there is also some nice smallmouth in there. In winter months my favorite "go to's" were always a Tellico or a olive w.b. hellgramite immitations work well also.

Flyfishjeep
12-04-2007, 10:53 PM
WMwalker- You caught those fish because of the camo clothing =) The rest of us now know that camo is the way to go when stalking trout.

Waterborn
12-05-2007, 02:37 PM
I love to fish the stretch between the two towns.

That area is known as the "spur" and normally you'd find some smallies and redeye through there as there's really only trout in it in the winter months when they stock for the delayed harvest in Gburg...some make it down stream into PF. Also the colder water in the winter allows some from the child section there at the kids park to drift dowstream as well.
As I understand it the DH during the winter is the brood stock from area hatcheries...hence the occasional pigs. But they'll get poached out as the season wears on...
Plain ol' PT will do the trick on them - they're not to bright and plenty hungry...and fun to tangle with when in town or have no other water available.

wmwalker
12-05-2007, 06:49 PM
Flyfishjeep
Now I know why my son in-law caught the fish:biggrin: and I didn't:frown: