PDA

View Full Version : Most important piece of equipment?

Grumpy
12-08-2007, 09:02 AM
What is your most important piece of equipment, the one you'd never hit the water without, is it a gearbag, rod/reel, waders/shoes or sunglasses?
There's been some great discussions this week on equipment, i was just wondering what you would not leave home without?

BTW, there can be no wrong answers!

Grumpy

Fly Ties GA
12-08-2007, 09:13 AM
When fishing is area like the Smokies I would have to say my wading staff. I just do not know how I would get by without it in rocky areas. I forgot to bring it one time fishing in Wisconsin and I felt completely helpless.

How about you Grumpy?

Good topic.

Bob

boxman
12-08-2007, 11:52 AM
My folding reading glasses have become increasingly important as I get older. I keep them handy for tying on midges, knotting 7x tippet, and trimming hackles on flies to get the best presentations. I never leave home without them.
boxman

tennswede
12-08-2007, 04:55 PM
First Aid Kit

buckeyetrouter
12-08-2007, 06:22 PM
hmmmmmm......been thinking about it a bit and would have to say everytime I head to the Smokies and LRO my most important pc of equipment is a tiny pc of plastic roughly 2"x3" and has my name and a VISA logo on it.....seems to get a good work out at LRO each and every time.....just used to get a CFO II Trout Bum reel ( it is an awsome reel ) ...........

buckeyetrouter

snaildarter
12-08-2007, 06:48 PM
An item that is small, cheap, extremely important, and one you may never use, is a loud whistle. If you get lost or injured or stuck, you may be glad you have it. Every time I read about someone who died only a hundred yards from a trail, I'm glad I've got one.

A few Benadryl is good too, even if you think you are not allergic to stings. I have been stung by numerous insects, and never had a problem. Then, while scrambling down a hill to a remote stream, I slid through a nest of yellowjackets, and 4 got me. I had a very bad reaction, and no possibility of medical care. I was able to stay awake, but just barely, by sitting in the 60 degree water of the stream. Some Benadryl would have been awfully nice about 30 minutes into that episode.

I also like always having a small flashlight, since I too often wind up coming back in the dark.

nvr2L8
12-09-2007, 12:26 AM
Really like the idea of the whistle. Would really make my wife feel better about my fishing alone.

I would have to choose my felt soled wading boots as the piece of equipment that I would never be on the stream without. These are essential not only from a safety standpoint, but just allowing me to be able to enjoy fishing without worrying constantly about slipping and falling. I enjoy most fishing streams where I'm navigating the rocks up the stream and that's tough to enjoy if you're slipping and sliding everywhere. All of this is particularly important since I don't bounce quite as well as I used to.:redface:

Vern
12-09-2007, 12:31 AM
fly threader. I wqas spending toooooooooo much time theading 6x tippit, even trifocals didn't help. but a threader made me feel young again.

Rockyraccoon
12-09-2007, 01:13 AM
Cool thread.

To me, it seems the most important piece of gear for my trip is always the one I forget.

I do an exceptional job of always having everything with me that I need or could need while guiding. A lot of stuff never gets used or even looked at.....but it's there if I need it.

Now when I actually get a chance to wet a line myself, I feel like a **** wreck and always feel like I left something behind.

ccmmcc
12-09-2007, 11:06 AM
I would have to say that I wouldn't go fishing without a...... ROD! :biggrin:

TroutAssasin
12-09-2007, 12:03 PM
Great topic, but I would have to say my most important piece of equipment is my fly rod and my flies. When it comes down to it everything else aids your effort to catch fish. Granted all the extras help in one way or another, but without your rod and your box of flies, catching fish with your hands is kind of hard.

PeteCz
12-09-2007, 12:37 PM
Mine would be my backpack. I switched from a vest about a year ago. I purchased a small cheap backpack at Target for $19 (although I would prefer a Fishpond for Christmas...) and I keep the following items in it:
- Small First Aid Kit
- Whistle
- Water filtration kit
- Packable rain jacket
- 2 granola bars (replace as needed...)
- Fishing license
- Reel
- Two small floating boxes of flies
- 4x, 5x and 6x tippet spools
- Forceps
- Nippers
- Gink
- Backup polarized sunglasses
- Trail Illustrated map and compass
- Thermometer

I then clip my 4pc flyrod to the backpack and put my boots/waders right next to the backpack.

By aggregating everything I have less of a shot of forgetting anything. I also keep it all in the back of my explorer (I clip my boots and waders to the luggage rack when they are drying). This system has served me very well this year. I have yet to forget anything at home, and just as importantly, I have not forgotten anything 45 minutes and two miles away from the car! Also, if I'm fishing near to the car, I simply clip the stuff I need to my pants/waders/shorts and leave the backpack in the car.

I always stock up with a water bottle and a few granola bars on the way to fishing.

But to answer the question: Beyond the obvious Rod/Reel/Flies/Boots I would probably say sunglasses. I have a hard enough time seeing fish with them, I don't think I could see anything without them.

A close second would be the water and granola bars.

doghaircaddis
12-09-2007, 01:50 PM
Polarized sunglasses for me. They keep headaches away on bright days and are essential for spotting fish.

irfishing
12-09-2007, 02:14 PM
For me it is the license.
All the other things are worthless when a TWRA officer shows up.
Also, the revenue helps support our sport.

UofMontanaAlum
12-09-2007, 08:30 PM
For me it is the license.
All the other things are worthless when a TWRA officer shows up.
Also, the revenue helps support our sport.

If I could pick one thing to bring to the Clinch River with me every weekend it would be a TWRA officer.

doghaircaddis
12-09-2007, 10:26 PM
If I could pick one thing to bring to the Clinch River with me every weekend it would be a TWRA officer.

Hah, no joke. I've never seen an officer on the Clinch.

irfishing
12-10-2007, 11:38 PM
This may be getting a little off the intent of this thread; however here goes.

Not sure the rhyme or reason as to where/when they check; however, last week while fishing on the Duck river a TWRA officer asked me to come to the bank and let him see my license. Gladly obliged and thank him for checking.

Just wish they made a habit of checking more. I have observed more than one person which I doubt had the proper license. (Maybe that is what he thought about me. LOL)

Does anyone know if TWRA has a place to send comments/recommendations for more active checking of people trout fishing (probably all fishing).