PDA

View Full Version : Request to the praying type.

Rockyraccoon
12-09-2007, 01:22 AM
Hey folks,

I'd like to ask to be included in your prayers if you don't mind.

After 14 years of being a dedicated Marlboro professional...I'm doing my best to lay them down.

I've tried many times in the past, and have always failed miserably. Well, after a few days I'd fail anyway.

As of today I've got two and a half weeks under my belt without having a smoke. Up until last week I still had a pack laying around, but I destroyed them last week when I got to looking at the pack with my tongue hanging out of my mouth.

I've been leaning on the nicorette gum a little here lately but seem to be doing ok with it....but occasionally the urges are strong.

Anyway, your thoughts and prayers would be much appreciated as I'm finding out that I can use all the help I can get.

Thx folks.

ttas67
12-09-2007, 01:29 AM
prayer sent.

buckeyetrouter
12-09-2007, 08:45 AM
hey Rocky......I'm sure you know that there are many folks on this board who have accepted Jesus Christ as thier Lord and Savior so you should get many prayers. Anyways, Abby and I will put you in our prayers while you beat this........I won't wish you luck, I will congradulate you for when it does happen........

God Bless
buckeyetrouter

Paula Begley
12-09-2007, 08:53 AM
Rocky

Consider it done.

Paula

donwinn
12-09-2007, 09:32 AM
Rocky,

My father-in-law quit after about 25 years of smoking. He said the desire never really went fully away. So you have to get tough and get help from above as you are asking for. I knew a guy who tried everything. He finally just put them down and got a coffee stir that he chewed on all the time. He made it. This should give you at least 10 more years of fishing.

I will send up a prayer right now.

David Knapp
12-09-2007, 10:50 AM
I'll definitely keep you in my prayers...

Philippians 4:13

boxman
12-09-2007, 10:52 AM
Rocky,
The last one I smoked was December 31,1989. I still have urges occasionally but quitting them remains one of the things I am most proud of. Two of my high school buddies ended up being physicians and they really helped steer me away from them, but ultimately it is your own decision that matters most.
When I quit they were .90 per pack and I used the money I saved to buy myself a gift each month (usually fishing related)-with the current prices, you should be able to save a chunk of money every 30 days.

Though I thought I could never stay off them, I have, and feel very strongly about never starting back. If you want to vent sometimes or just need someone to talk to about them, send me an e-mail, or better yet, come up to the soho or watauga and we'll do some fishing.

Boxman

ijsouth
12-09-2007, 01:58 PM
Certainly, prayers on the way...I was an on/off smoker for about 10 years; I finally gave them up for good over 4 years ago - it's tough, but it sounds like you're already through the hardest part. I found that, once you got through the first 72 hours or so, it got a lot better. Eventually, the cravings will subside.

Every once in a great while, I get a craving, but it usually doesn't last long. Just think of all the money you'll save, that you can spend on flies, rods, etc.

irfishing
12-09-2007, 02:30 PM
Rocky,
Congratulations. You will make it this time.
Prayers are a strong source of strength. Another one is one the way.
Elton

nvr2L8
12-09-2007, 05:28 PM
So appropriate to have this post in this part of the board. It's not just about sharing fishing stories, suggestions on where to fish, gear, etc. It's also about folks with a kindred spirit stepping up with support, empathy and prayers for a family member in a struggle like this.

Rocky, your fly fishing family is solidly behind you. Congratulations for taking this on and ultimately beating it. It will happen.

Flyfishjeep
12-09-2007, 07:48 PM
Rocky,
I applaud you for taking such a big step, asking friends for prayer.
We all stand behind you and we will keep you in our prayers.

wmwalker
12-09-2007, 09:20 PM
Rocky
Way to go and I know you have beaten that habit. My prayers have gone up and you are a non smoker. Praise the Lord!:smile: Now you will have a longer life time to fish and all that money you are saving can buy more fishing stuff. :smile:
Wyatt

ccmmcc
12-10-2007, 08:43 AM
I have been a non smoker for about 1 year. I have struggled with it many times over the years. I found that this time I really wanted to quit and it was much easier. I agree with ijsouth, the cravings really decrease over time. Whenever I get the urge, I always take some really deep breaths and savor my ability to breath deeply and slowly without coughing and gagging! I also try to remember, "This too shall pass."

jeffnles1
12-10-2007, 02:21 PM
Asking the Lord for help and others for prayers is the best first step you can take. You can count on a prayer from me.

While it wasn't tobacco, the Lord took an adiction from me. One thing I can say is that you need to stop trying it all by yourself and turn it over to Him. Like the line from the children's song says "I am week, but He is strong".

Brother, hang in there, talk with the Lord on the tough days. If you're ever having a day where you just need someone to pray for you, my email is
jeffnles1 at insightbb dot com.

Jeff

Rockyraccoon
12-10-2007, 08:40 PM
Thank you folks so much!

I made it through today without a single urge. :)

The strength of prayers is really amazing.

Payne102
12-10-2007, 10:50 PM
Hang in there Rocky. You don't remember I'm sure but we floated the Hiwassee with Dane and my two brothers in law last year. I want to quit as well and we talked about that on the float trip. You have my prayers and when you get a chance say one for me to at least take that first step.

Dave

Gerry Romer
12-11-2007, 12:07 AM
A trip to the ER for a mini-stroke about 2 1/2 years ago was all the motivation I needed to quit a 40+ year habit.

Physiologically speaking, it only takes 72 hours for your body to overcome the addictive element of tobacco. Psychologically, I don't think you ever really get past it.

For me, there will always be those "associations" that jump up and try to bite me. I no longer have the physical need, but sometimes the time/place/situation serves up a trigger that brings back memories of smoking and I think (almost wistfully) how nice it would be to have just one more. You know... morning coffee and a cigarette... pizza, beer and a cigarette... Jim Beam Black on the rocks and a cigarette...

Ironically, the most frequent time/place/situation is up on the Middle Prong at the end of a long day of fishing. Right before wading back out to head back to the truck, I have this craving to sit back on a boulder, watch the water for a while, and light one up.

That's when I remember, "Oh, yeah... that's right, I quit!";)

Best of luck! You've got my prayers and hopes!

Gerry Romer

donwinn
12-11-2007, 11:31 AM
:smile: :smile: :smile: Isn't it great to know that people you have never met can care enough to pray and offer encouragement. It makes you realize that "life is good".

Sage
12-14-2007, 05:04 PM
Rocky,

I'd be honored to lift up your request. I laid down the Copenhagen in a lodge in Montana October 7th '05 and with HIS help, haven't picked it up again. I applaud your conviction and your response. Good luck my friend.

P.S. I met you on the Hiwassee this year with Pella. Dane was with us also.

Rockyraccoon
12-15-2007, 12:16 AM
Hey there Sage, How have you been? I remember the trip this past summer well. The isonychias were popping for us and we'd hit a several risers in a row when the thunder started sounding off in the hills. Jim's response was "roll'em up" ! :)

Guys, You don't know how much I appreciate your prayers.

I guess I'm getting fairly close to a month and so far I've not stumbled at all. I've had a few tough moments but I've not broken.

Over the past few days I've overcome some of my toughest obstacles in the habit of smoking. See, I think a smoking habit is two part. First is the nicotine addiction, and the second is the hand to mouth situation addiction. Both are very tough to break. While the nicorette (almost off it now too) has helped with the nicotine draw, I'm still fighting the situational draw. Anyway, the past few days have seen some of my toughest situations....

1. Driving to and from the river. These drives range from an hour to over three and I use knock out many smokes en route. While I had a few moments of desire....I managed to fight them off.

2. Lunch break on the river. After lunch was served to the clients, I always kicked back and had a smoke.....usually one before lunch and then another once I busted the plates and scrapes.

3. Clients who smoke. In my occupation, when I have clients who smoke....I always let them (It's amazing how much a tobacco habit fits in with a fishing habit) because the whole point of taking a guided trip is to enjoy it. ANd if you can't enjoy it your way, then your just not having the good time you'd hoped for. Well, when I had clients who smoke, I usually just joined in. Today I had a client who smoked like a 55' Falcon (same brand as I use to smoke at that).....and I handled it like a champ.

I know I'm not out of the woods yet because the urges are still strong on occasions. Yet with all the prayers and the strength from the man upstairs....I feel like I'm going to make it up that mountain that seemed so tall at one time.

Thank you guys so much for including me in your thoughts and prayers. I don't know how to thank you all other than letting you know how much it's meaning to me and my family. :)

nvr2L8
12-15-2007, 09:49 AM
Rocky,

Congratulations on your success so far. Prayers will keep going up on your behalf.

txbrown
12-15-2007, 11:34 AM
Congratulations. Prayers on their way.
Phil 4:13

Gatorbaiter
12-19-2007, 01:24 PM
good luck - I've been smoke free for three years now -- I found the Commit Lozenges to be more effective than the Nicorette gum - there are both 4mg and 2mg available

Bran
12-19-2007, 05:18 PM
Rocky,
Got on this one late but glad to hear of your success! Good job and prayer sent.

fishNlady
12-20-2007, 01:16 PM
I stopped smoking 18 years ago. It was much easier than I thought it would be. My prayers are with you.

irfishing
12-22-2007, 04:52 PM
Rocky,
I believe it has been about a month since you made the decision to quit.
What a great Christmas gift to your family as well as to you.
Pat yourself on the back knowing that you are conquering the habit. There may still be some tough times, but you can do it.
You are still on the payer list.
Elton

drkorn
12-22-2007, 11:16 PM
prayers have been sent........

Gerry Romer
12-28-2007, 12:23 PM
Happy Birthday, Rocky!

Hope you're still on top of things and in control. We're still pulling for ya!! :biggrin:

Gerry

Rockyraccoon
12-28-2007, 01:51 PM
Hey folks,

I believe Mr Marlboro is a thing of my past. Another obstacle has been overcome...and that's hanging with the guys.

Down in my families Garage, all the guys smoke....however, I managed several hours the other day and never even considered it.

Yesterday I hung out with a few friends, and when they would head outside to smoke, I tagged a long to be social, but the urge to bum one never hit. We also played with the hackey sack for about an hour....and I never got winded at all.

Thank you all so much for your prayers and thoughts.

Um, just a FYI. Since quiting, Night time coughing is gone, no more wheezing, not getting winded with activity and I've already saved $264 :)

THx for the birthday shout Gerry.

donwinn
12-28-2007, 06:59 PM
Rocky,

Glad you have beat the dragon! Keep it up. Enjoy the freedom and health.

God bless,

wmwalker
12-28-2007, 07:09 PM
Rocky
Way to go and I know you have beaten that habit. My prayers have gone up and you are a non smoker. Praise the Lord!:smile: Now you will have a longer life time to fish and all that money you are saving can buy more fishing stuff. :smile:
Wyatt
As I said here I know you are a non somker:smile:

FormerMarine
12-30-2007, 09:31 AM
Hey Rocky,

How did you manage to do it, it seems so insurmountable to be able to quit...I want to but I have a pretty good idea what I am in for physically and psychologically....When I tried to quit years ago I remember the anxiety being horrible and there was almost physical pain....

nvr2L8
12-30-2007, 09:39 AM
Mark,

Say the word and you see from this thread that there are a host of fly fisherman who will pray you through it. All you have to do is shout out.

Rockyraccoon
12-30-2007, 11:28 AM
Hey there Former Marine.

First let me say thank you for your service. It's much appreciated.

As mentioned, I think the prayer and support I received from the LRO board patrons as well as the support from other fishing boards was a big part of my success.

I might add that when I first laid my pack down, I had come down with a chest cold and didn't want a smoke anyway. I took it as a great opportunity to get off of them. So I kindly had a good head start. Now while you can't plan to have a cold, you can however set a date and make mental preparations. One of our good clients is also one of the leading heart surgeons in the south and he had been working with me. His plan was for me to set a date when I could change my routines a little, I had planned on doing it on new years, because I typically begin my slow season in January. Thx to the cold I was able to stop a month or so earlier.

I used Nicorette gum to curve the urges. I started out with the 4mg and maybe 3 or 4 pieces a day. (they recommend more but I just chewed the same piece longer than needed). Now I'm on 2 mg.

Don't be afraid to ask for help. Family and friends can be a big help. I will include you in my prayers. Best of luck man.

Gerry Romer
12-31-2007, 12:17 AM
From the Jan/Feb Issue of Fly Rod & Reel Magazine.

"In an interview in the September 2007 issue of Esquire Magazine, country music legend Steve Earle mentioned the role fly-fishing played in his decision to quit smoking:
'I actually did more damage to my lungs smoking crack (than cigarettes). But I had to quit. I fish in some of the most extreme places in the world. Trout don't live in ugly places, and most of them are above 5,000 feet. I fish for trout with a fly rod and you need lungs for that.' "

How appropriate is that thought??!!

Gerry

limbsnagger
01-22-2008, 12:23 PM
Yo rocky! I hope you've done well getting off the smokes. I remeber us talking about that back in November on the Cumberland. Thanks for a great trip by the way and that Clackacraft realy did spoil me. I'm a respiratory therapist, well, I'm a fly fishermen who works as a respiratory therapist but I can put you on to something I've had great success with my patients at the hospital and myself. First let me say that if the route you've taken is working for you then don't change a thing. Different strokes for different folks and such. However, I've a friend, also a respiratory therapist who smoked for 40 years, who has been off them for 6 months now using a new med called Chantix. I realize this sounds like a commercial but I don't get paid to sell the stuff or even a free fishing trip out of it. I'm all for doing it with out perscription meds. if at all possible. However, some of us are such hard core smokers it takes a little help. The drug is simply removes that craveing or urge to light up. Sounds like "snake oil" but it's worked for alot of good folks. Definetly always talk to your Dr. first. I definetly want you to keep getting me down the river for years to come. Your in our prayers & thanks for posting those pics. on you web site. I just got my new computer up and going so I was not able to email mine to you. But my gandad had a great time looking at that pic on the web. Of course he's teling everybody it was 40 inch trout. At least he lies in my favore.

Chad Parker RRT,CPFT

Chad Parker,RRT CPFT

Rockyraccoon
01-22-2008, 09:24 PM
Hey Chad,

Nice to hear from you. Listen to the bonehead I did. I gave you a card with a bogus email address on it. Looking back, I suppose just about every card I handed out last year had my old email address on it. I have no clue how it happened. Unfortunately, as a fishing guide, stuff like that seems to happen from time to time. LOL

Anyway, Great to hear from you.

I've not had a smoke since I laid them down during the middle of November. However, last night I did have a weird dream....I remember (in my dream) I had smoked two cigarettes and 15 minutes later somebody offered me one and I had a long hard debate in my head whether I should take it or not. I thought that I had just had two so what would it hurt. (end of dream) . I woke up as that long, sexy, stuffed with love, filter tipped piece of gold was against my lower lip.

I have no clue what that dream means. It was the first of it's kind. For the most part....I've kindly put a butt whipping on the smokes and feel like I'm making a victory lap.

I owe it all to a 4 day chest cold that got me started, a whole lot of support from friends and family, Strength from upstairs, and a piece of Nicorett from time to time.

I actually have a Rx for chantix. However, I was told by my acting Doctor, to wait for a change in schedule or lifestyle before I started. We settled on the first of the year. Luckily I jumped the gun and had a huge lead by the first of the month. Got 2 months under my belt along with some situations that made a marlboro look like heaven.

Anyway, I'll be happy to shoot you the pics from November. It was a fantastic trip and that's probably going to be the most color rich fish I ever see. It was gorgeous.

Shoot me your email.address. tnrockyraccoon@comcast.net is my correct email. I think the card I gave you was @bellsouth.net and no good.

irfishing
02-20-2008, 06:16 PM
Rocky,
It has been about 3 months since you made the big decision to quit smoking and a month since your last post. How about an update to keep this thread going.
Perhaps your experience will be an inspiration to others who may be contemplating following your example.
Elton

Rockyraccoon
02-21-2008, 09:56 AM
No problem,

I suppose in a day or so I will be up to 3 months without a smoke.

Last weekend, I survived another tough situation where a smoke really had a good sound to it. A group of 15 fishermen from the ETFFF made a group trip to the Nant. With spirits and fishing lies flowing, and campfires glowing, a smoke seemed like a natural thing to do......however, I held firm all weekend and continued on my smokeless journey.

All of my friends who have beaten up the marlboro man have said that those urges and desires never really go away. They just get shorter.

Anyway, thanks for asking, and if there is anybody else out there needing support to lay their smokes down......please don't be afraid to look for support here.

highpockets
02-21-2008, 10:35 AM
good luck, praying for ya

BuckeyeRick
02-21-2008, 10:37 AM
I tried many times and lost. Last year I went with Pfizer's Chantix and it worked like a charm. I have no stake in Pfizer and actually hate giving them props, but it worked. Good luck.

JimmyC
02-26-2008, 03:36 PM
Hope you're doing well sans cigarettes! I wish I could put down the skoal, man, it's so tough, especially on the river. I think I've been classically conditioned! Good luck! Resist! Resist!

rainBBow
05-30-2008, 08:49 AM
I have seen this post for some time know and purposely avoide it. I am 46 and have been smoking since I was in my early twenties.Today is day 20 of cold turkey no cigarettes, no more dip, no patch, just sugarless gum, and alot of prayers from myself,family and church family. Any additional prayers are welcomed. It is getting much easier but it can still be very difficult.
Good luck to all of you trying to quit.

ijsouth
05-30-2008, 09:56 AM
Hang in there...I quit, cold turkey, 5 years ago. Occasionally I get a craving, but it only lasts for a few seconds. You won't miss them. I was fortunate, in that I wasn't that heavy of a smoker - averaged around 10 a day.

ALflygirl
05-30-2008, 02:52 PM
Hey rainbbow....
Hang in there. You're doing a good thing. Prayers coming your way!

irfishing
05-30-2008, 05:19 PM
rainBBow,
Glad to hear it has already been 20 days. Most of the hardest part, after making the decision to kick the habit, is almost behind you. Keep going and don't look back.
Prayers are with you

No Hackle
05-31-2008, 09:43 AM
hey man good luck. I may not be able to cast that great, but I can sure pray your guts out. Christ can do anything if we just stay out of his way and dont limit him with our doubt. You can do through Him. In Christ, No Hackle.

Rockyraccoon
05-31-2008, 07:46 PM
That's awesome rainBBow (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/member.php?u=3234). Prayers sent as well.

I've got over six months under my belt now. And folks were right,you will still have cravings every now and then.....but they don't last long.

I'm currently enjoying all the extra money laying around that hasn't went into the Phillip Morris bank account.

Just be strong and have faith.....that along with a bunch of prayers from my friends got me through it. And I was a heavy smoker......could've went pro at it if I wanted to. :smile:

mmorgan135
06-09-2008, 01:26 AM
My Dad has finally quit smoking after 20 years. It took some drastic measures to get it in his head that he needed to stop.

The weekend of 4-5-08 my dad and I took a hiking trip up Big Frog Mnt in Ocoee. My dad has always been in pretty good physical shape, could always work around the house and on projects just as hard as I could, but this hiking trip really hurt him pretty hard. At one point I was really concerned that he might not be able to walk off the mountain.

But long story short, he made it off the mountain and had a doctors appointment that following Monday. The doctor thought that he heard something strange in his neck on the left side and had him see another doctor that following Thursday. It turns out that he had almost 90% blockage of his carotid artery, and was having surgery that next Tuesday.

That is the first time I have ever seen my Dad in the hospital like that in the ICU and was really hard on me. He has made a full recovery and started work this past week. I have had to make the trip to Cleveland and Knoxville 3-4 times a week to help take care of things around the house and cabin because he wasnt able to work.

This experience has shown him how bad the choices he was making was affecting him but also hurting his family as well. I can honestly say that the thought of smoking now to my dad scares him. I dont know what I would do without him because he is honestly my best friend, and I am just so thankful that we caught this before it was almost too late.

Good luck to anyone that is trying to make their lifes better for themselves but also their family who cares about them.

rainBBow
08-08-2008, 01:16 PM
Just an update, I have quit counting days. Its been almost 4 months cold turkey. Thanks for the prayers and encouragement.

ALflygirl
08-10-2008, 06:26 PM
rainbbow...
congratulations! you've done a good thing!!

Rockyraccoon
11-24-2009, 11:48 AM
Today I celebrate two years of being smoke free.

I still feel fortunate to have had the help of the fly fishing community and their prayers to help propel me past smoking. Gods strength is amazing.

Three months ago I finally laid down my nicotine gum as well. Nicorette was a big help to me, but it was also just as addictive as smokes. But it did help and I'm glad to have had it. I am however, happy to be off of it as well.

Thanks again for your prayers and I encourage anybody who has a monkey on their back to look no further than those around you.....as their thoughts and prayers can help.

nvr2L8
11-24-2009, 06:25 PM
Congrats, Rocky. A lot of prayers went up on your behalf to make this a reality.

fourx
11-26-2009, 11:41 AM
Prayer to The Lord works!

I'd sure like to kick this Copenhagen. If I worked indoors I think I would of kicked it by now but I run a farm (and fish alot) and just can't imagine not having it.
But, when I do quit, I'm doing it with Christ's help.

4X