PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Helios 904

Grumpy
12-11-2007, 09:17 AM
I broke the rod in right Sunday, laid it on the tailgate & the butt section rolled off & dinged the butt cap:mad:
Lined with a Wulff TT, heavy beadhead nymph & a big ol Grumpicator, i procedeed to fish falling water in the wind, 40' is about it all the rod wanted, i have to get used to the mid-flex, i've fished tip-flex rods so long, gotta slow down some.
Despite the wind & operator error, the rod feels good, switched to a midge once the water fell, the rod was a little more responsive, switched to a soft hackle once it dropped even more & the rod really came to life, it is real sensitive, i set the hook everytime the line straightened on the swing:redface: haven't felt that on my tip flex rods.
Bottom line, nymphs/weight, the rod will be good up to 40', midges dries, soft hackles, i was casting up to 60' at one point with ease & it feels good with a fish on, even all those 4" rainbows the hatchery managed to dump;) at the dam.
I think we'll get along just fine if i can get the casting arm to work with me a little bit, seems to have a mind of it's own:rolleyes:

Grumpy

Paula Begley
12-11-2007, 11:28 AM
OH NO! :frown:

Your butt has a ding? Eeep! :eek:

Thanks for the report.

Paula

Gerry Romer
12-11-2007, 02:53 PM
I'm actually more frightened of the fact that he wears a cap on his butt!

Gerry

Byron Begley
12-11-2007, 06:34 PM
You would wear a cap on yours too if it was sectional like Grumpy's is.

Byron

mtnman2888
12-11-2007, 09:54 PM
Haha this thread has definitely taken an interesting turn. I'm glad that you are impressed with the rod grumpy, i can't wait to take mine out for a spin.

Craig

Grumpy
12-12-2007, 09:49 AM
WELL, i put a lot of thought into that post woohohohohhoooo(crying) & here comes this bunch worrying bout my butt(dripping tears):cool:
I'm not even gonna tell about the BIIXMX or the new Axiom(boohoo,still crying)

:biggrin: Grumpy

Paula Begley
12-12-2007, 10:32 AM
Aww...Grumpy. I was seriously sorry you got a ding on your butt section.

;)

Thanks for your in depth and thoughtful post about your rod.

Paula

Byron Begley
12-12-2007, 12:14 PM
Grumpy,

I'm sorry. I forgot how sensitive you are. You gave an excellent report on your new rod. You are the BEST! Please tell us about the new Winston and the Axiom. I did get to cast the new Winstons. Pretty sweet. But I don't know what an Axiom is. Please fill us in. Did you check out the Korkers? I was impressed.

Sincerely your good friend forever,

Byron

Grumpy
12-12-2007, 07:04 PM
Thanks Byron, those other folks hurt my onliest feeling that i had at the time:biggrin:
The Axiom is the newest offering from TFO, 5 through 10 weights & they are cannons, deep blue with gold stripping guides, deep blue graphite reelseat on the 5 weight with those rubberized cork rings on each end.
The 6 through 10 have metal reelseats with fighting butts, the 5 weight is $249, 6 weight $279 & the rest are $299, i thought they would come with a tube, keeping with tradition, TFO still sells them separately.
The MX's are Winstons fast(for Winston) action rods, there are faster rods out there, per norm, the green sticks have feeling though, the 5 i played with has the metal reelseat, they are 5-10 weights as you know & the 9 weight was a pure cannon, they don't weigh much either.
I think the Winnie folks will like these, i'm trying to figure a way to sneak that 9 weight home:eek:

Grumpy

txbrown
01-26-2008, 09:17 PM
Grumpy and Mtman2888,

After casting the 5 wt Helios last weekend I am now considering a yard sell of several rods and reels to finance the Helios. Any insight that either of you would offer regarding the rod and choosing a 4 vs 5 wgt would be greatly appreciated.

I recently found the tip of my 8 wt broken and Orvis replaced it with an upgrade rod, as they no longer make the PM-10 version. This has lessened my fear of breakage. Thanks.

Ed

Grumpy
01-27-2008, 10:22 PM
hehehe, i'm selling a Zero Gravity to get the new 5 weight in a Tip Flex. I've cast 100's of rods over the years from every maker there is just about, the Helios is expensive, i believe it is money well spent.
After all, it's about the same price as 10 fill ups in the Hemi, i know i'll get a lot more out of the rod:biggrin:
I fished the 4 weight today, rather breezy, the 5 will handle those conditions better & it weighs less than a lot of 4 weights out there:eek:

Grumpy

txbrown
01-28-2008, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the reply. That is quite a recommendation. The trick will now be getting my rods and reels sold. Do you think the tip will be forgiving enough for 6x-7x tippet on the 5wt tip flex?

Ed

Grumpy
01-29-2008, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the reply. That is quite a recommendation. The trick will now be getting my rods and reels sold. Do you think the tip will be forgiving enough for 6x-7x tippet on the 5wt tip flex?

Ed

My rod, new gold LA reel came in yesterday, what a great looking combination:biggrin:
The Zero Gravity i have for sale is a 10.5 tip flex, i've only fished 6X on it since i bought it, it's a lot stiffer than the new 9.5 Helios or the 9.5 T3 that i have. I've fished 7X on the T3 a many a day with no problem, unless i caused it:frown:
The Helios does have a fast tip, yet it feels sensitive while casting, i'll have to wait til the weekend to give you a fishing report with it, arrgghhh.

Grumpy

mtnman2888
01-29-2008, 10:35 AM
I'll agree with grumpy on the feel of the helios. It is stiff enough that i threw two nymphs with a couple pieces of split shot with absolutely no problem, but yet it still has a very soft feel to it. I know those two things don't really go together but somehow it does.

Craig

Grumpy
01-29-2008, 02:14 PM
I know those two things don't really go together but somehow it does.

Craig

scary isn't it:eek: :biggrin:

Grumpy

txbrown
01-29-2008, 08:22 PM
Guys,

I really appreciate your input. My dear wife just looks at me and shakes her head when she sees the dreamy look in my eye while I check out the Orvis page. :redface: I did love the way the 5wt felt when I tried it.

My 13 yr old, is testing my 4wt and my 5wgt this weekend to determine if he wants to move up and donate his Browning to the cause. :rolleyes: Somehow I lose ground in that trade but he is my fishing buddy and definitely at a skill level to move up.

If the weather looks good this weekend we may take the camper Edgar Evins and "drown a few worms" :biggrin: .

Ed

Grumpy
01-30-2008, 07:55 AM
Ed

There will be no lost ground on that trade, you'll come out way ahead with memories & good times, i'd say you're getting the best deal:biggrin:

Grumpy

txbrown
01-30-2008, 11:01 PM
I wouldn't have it any other way. ;)