PDA

View Full Version : Go Figure

doghaircaddis
12-15-2007, 08:34 PM
Fished the local tailwater today. On my way back to the car I came across a man sitting on a 5 gallon bucket, fishing. I asked, "how you doin', any luck". Man said he got one on corn...then, with a big grin, proceeded to lift up the 8" bow that was on his stringer. This guy had 2 lines in the water. Now, here's the best part...he says "watch this" and takes a third rod that has a spoon on it and walks upriver about 15 feet, throws a cast out near a partially submerged limb, and tells me that I need to watch him catch a crappie.

Flat Fly n
12-15-2007, 10:31 PM
His mother married her brother, but didn't hurt him none.....obviously!

Those guys don't bother me...it's the cullers...those that have 7 trout on, keep fishing and IF one is 1/4" larger than the smallest one..well then they proceed to take the smallest one of and just drop it...dead. But hey, they got their limit. Can't go home to the little woman and not have his limit.

Fishermansfly
12-15-2007, 10:55 PM
Dog, I'm going on a limb here and not looking at your profile to find your location....Without looking I'm voting on your local tailwater being the Clinch! Ha ha at least it met the 7'' minimum!!

Brett

doghaircaddis
12-15-2007, 11:41 PM
Brett, it was the Caney.

And just to make it clear, I don't have anything against corn fisherman. Each to his own. I just had to share this one.

Realtyman
12-16-2007, 03:26 PM
In all these years living near that river, and I never even knew that there were crappie in there. Center Hill= yes. Cordell Hull= yes. Cumberland below Cordell Hull= yes. Caney= never heard of it.

I have nothing against the bait/spin fishermen as I used to be one:eek:

monktrout
12-16-2007, 08:29 PM
A lot of us got corn in our DNA.

Flat Fly n
12-17-2007, 07:49 AM
Monktrout,
U'un must be from that thar udder side of tha mountain, cause I larnd how to fish with a flypole and sallmon eggs, not corn, daubbed into tha creks of southwest Virginny....BTW took me a year before I larned your supposed to cast that thar flypole..Had to switch to flies, cause the eggs keep flying off!

Grumpy
12-17-2007, 07:51 AM
In all these years living near that river, and I never even knew that there were crappie in there. Center Hill= yes. Cordell Hull= yes. Cumberland below Cordell Hull= yes. Caney= never heard of it.

I have nothing against the bait/spin fishermen as I used to be one:eek:

RM

A few years back while we were skipjack fishing below the dam during generation, i caught the biggest crappie of my life, lost it right at the boat.
Iused to spend many a night fishing for them under lights & fishing stake beds during the days & never caught one as big.
Yep, there's striper, skippies, catfish, perch, sauger & walleye up there as well:eek:

Grumpy

ChemEAngler
12-17-2007, 10:17 AM
When I was last at the Caney, I was drifting a nice run right below the dam. I had landed a couple decent trout but there was one spot where I had hooked up and lost a couple of hard fighters. I kept working it just knowing it was a quality brown. Finally I got a good hookset on it and landed one of the largest bluegills I have seen. That little bugger put up a fight too when he turned sideways in the current. I have been surprised on other ocassions when trout fishing too. Hooked into a decent size carp on the Clinch one time, and even hooked a small pike once down near hwy 61 bridge (that didn't last long with 7x).

Travis

donwinn
12-17-2007, 07:26 PM
I don't have anything against using bait. I first fished with bait, as I am sure most of us did. However, I have seen things that really bothered me. In Arkansas once I saw this guy who was constantly looking over his shoulder to see who was coming behind him. Why? He had two stringers of fish. One was a stringer with his limit. The other was loaded with trout. If a game warden came, I am sure he was just going to untie the larger stinger and let if float down the river. Once at the Elk, I saw three bait fishermen drop about four fish each from their stringer because they caught slightly bigger fish. So, around 12 fish were killed for no reason. I hope fly fishermen have more respect for the resource. I'm sure there are some bad fly fishermen, but I think overall fly fishermen do it for sport and want to protect the future of the sport they love. I sure do.

nailman_83
12-19-2007, 01:46 PM
http://www.fishingtn.com/showthread.php?t=2149

I think you all should read this thread.

David Knapp
12-19-2007, 03:18 PM
Nailman_83, thanks for the link! I agree that everyone should read that thread... Personally, I don't necessarily agree with keeping a bunch of fish but then, I don't eat them and I definitely don't try to tell others what to do. In fact, I'm always friendly with anyone I meet on the stream and ask how their doing, how's the fishing...etc.... I've met some nice spin fisherman over the years and been crowded by a few. I've also been crowded by fly fisherman and have seen some rude ones on the stream. In fact, the most annoyed I've ever been on the water was because of other fly fisherman that I considered rude and this has happened more than once on streams around the country.

I do have to agree with the original post by doghaircaddis though, the mentality that every single fish goes on the stringer regardless of size and quality does strike me as a little bit funny...:biggrin:

donwinn
12-19-2007, 04:53 PM
Nailman

I have no problem with people keeping fish. I very rarely keep fish, but everyone has that right. The guy is right. He does pay to have those fish put in the river - no argument. My only problem is that most of the time, when I see people breaking the rules, they are not fly fishermen. Don't get me wrong. I have seen guys in Arkansas carrying a fly rod with a stringer of fish beyond the limit. I hate that! I also despise arrogance! I have seen plenty of that on streams from fly fishermen as well. So, I hope I am not a hypocrite.

Thanks for keeping us in middle of the river.

doghaircaddis
12-19-2007, 09:52 PM
Good read Nailman.

I am always friendly to everyone I come across on the river. Even when I see things that I don't necessarily like or agree with. I'm not gonna lie, it REALLY hurts to see some of those stringers. But, really, who has a right to say anything to an angler who is following the law?

...Then again, what sort of fishery would the Caney or any other water be if every angler kept every legal fish they caught?

I guess that is the debate. It's easy to see why passionate C&R fisherman react the way they sometimes do and why those who keep stringers of fish get upset when they feel chastised for merely fishing within their legal rights.

Anyway, Grumpy, so there are crappie up by the dam? I've seen carp, largemouth and bluegill...usually in the summer where streams empty into the Caney. Seemed bizarre when that guy mentioned crappie. His confidence level was about 110% that he was going to catch one on that cast.

Grumpy
12-19-2007, 11:34 PM
sounds like a guilty concise to me:rolleyes:

Grumpy

irfishing
12-20-2007, 12:07 PM
I like others have seen people who cull their stringer while fishing the Elk; however, the last time I went fishing was a new experience. There was a "man" who when he caught a fish would just throw it to his dog. When the dog was through playing with it the fish was thrown back into the water.
Don't know how long this went on as it was either leave or say something I would probably regret later.

nailman_83
12-20-2007, 12:13 PM
I disagree with most of what was said in that thread. I just thought you all should see the other perspective.

Grumpy
12-21-2007, 09:12 AM
I like others have seen people who cull their stringer while fishing the Elk; however, the last time I went fishing was a new experience. There was a "man" who when he caught a fish would just throw it to his dog. When the dog was through playing with it the fish was thrown back into the water.
Don't know how long this went on as it was either leave or say something I would probably regret later.

That's where i usually get into trouble, i'd be willing to bet those fish won't survive the dog handling/saliva. I don't think a trout stamp gives you the right to treat a fish like that.
I've been told i can't whup or shoot someone like that cause it's against the law:eek: is there a difference between a fish & human, we need to step up for the fish, they have no voice;)
Yes, i've been told i need Sensitivity training, went to a meeting & they used me as an example of what not to do, i feel as though i graduated:biggrin:

Grumpy

Paula Begley
12-21-2007, 10:55 AM
Awww, Grumpy...you? Not sensitive? We all know that's not true. :rolleyes:

We've seen you boo hoo several times here. :biggrin:

Paula

Grumpy
12-21-2007, 11:27 AM
Awww, Grumpy...you? Not sensitive? We all know that's not true. :rolleyes:

We've seen you boo hoo several times here. :biggrin:

Paula

I learnt that from the class, still ain't got me nowhere in life:biggrin:

Grumpy

txbrown
12-23-2007, 04:27 PM
better watch out, better not cry...... you never know what "elf" might like spinning. I do know this one was using artificial lures and throwing 'em back.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh4/txbrown/IMG_0351.jpg

I did see him later having returned from the 'dark side' to the light. I am not sure what caused his enlightening, maybe it was the smell of a skunk in the air. :rolleyes:

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh4/txbrown/IMG_0347.jpg