PDA

View Full Version : Fishing In Two Wks And Need Some Help

PINT2301
12-19-2007, 07:29 AM
:confused: I HAVE NEVER POSTED ON THIS SITE BUT WATCH IT PRETY CLOSE. A FRIEND AND I WILL BE COMING TO KNOXVILLE IN TWO WEEKS AND ARE LOOKING TO DO SOME TROUT FISHING. WOULD LIKE TO GO TO THE SMOKIES BUT I HAVE NOTICED THAT THE TROUT IN THE MOUNTAINS HAVE SLOWED QUITE A BIT. I AM WONDERING IF ANYONE COULD TELL ME WHERE TO GO TO CATCH SOME FISH WETHER IT BE IN THE MOUNTIANS OR STREAMS AROUND GATLINBURG/KNOXVILLE. WE REALLY DONT WANT TO TRAVEL OVER AN HOUR OR SO. HE WILL BE USING A SPINNING ROD BECAUSE HE HAS NEVER TOUCH A FLY ROD BEFORE SO IF ANYONE KNOWS WHAT WOULD BE BEST ON A SPINNING SET UP. ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED AND GOD BLESS!

Gerry Romer
12-19-2007, 12:51 PM
For both spinning and fly, with your limited time, your best bet will probably be the Clinch - either right at the dam or between the weir dam and the dam at Norris.

For a fly fisherman it will probably be pretty tough. Flies would be tiny zebras (18 -26) drifted alone or dropped under an indicator or possibly a tiny olive pheasant tail (16 - 20) dropped under a para Adams or yarn indicator.

For a spin fisherman it might be better. The usual suspects would be corn and red salmon eggs. I heard recently that they're hitting pretty well on wax worms above the weir dam.

Good luck. Let us know how you do.

Gerry

Troutman
12-19-2007, 01:12 PM
If your wanting G-burg delayed harvest (catch & release only) fishing, heres some info.
http://www.sangraal.com/greatsmoky/Backwoods/fishinggatlinburg.htm

flies: BH nymphs, egg patterns, the stockers aren't picky!

spin fishing: trout magnets, little spinners
I would not use corn, salmon eggs because there is more of a chance of gut hooking fish.

Like Gerry said, the Clinch is the closest tailwater and you can keep fish there within posted regs.

cardfly
12-20-2007, 01:09 PM
Well,

I have a couple of buddies bugging me to come down in December and fish. What does everyone think about it? We are looking at the 29th.

Let's say it in the 50's and not raining. Could we do anygood?

Thanks.

Gerry Romer
12-20-2007, 09:25 PM
I, myself, will likely be fishing the Caney on the 26th and 27th... maybe the 30th too. From your location, I would think you'd want to hit the Cumberland. The Smokies are gonna be pretty tough until about late February...although you might be okay trying the Little River right in Townsend.

Gerry

cardfly
12-21-2007, 09:14 PM
Well, my buddies have heard be go on about fishing in the smokies and they are really fired up to come down there and fish.

Having only caught one trout so far, I guess it really doesn't matter about the conditions. :smile: I'll keep looking at the weather forecast and hope it looks good.

By the way, I think LRO rents out waders and boots but I'm not sure. Anyone know for sure?

Merry Christmas to everyone.

Paula Begley
12-22-2007, 08:33 AM
David

I am sorry, but we don't rent waders and boots any longer.

Paula