PDA

View Full Version : Holston below Cherokee

Kevin_Thomas
12-29-2007, 10:43 PM
I've been to the Holston below Cherokee a few times in the last few weeks with Glenn Allgood that works on Saturdays at LRO. The fishing has been OK taking a few on small caddis, BWO's, and zebra midges. But, I just feel like I'm missing something. Maybe emergers? I don't know, but I'm sure that I'm missing something. Any ideas? I'm going tomorrow afternoon and would love to try some different things just to see.

Another question... On Thursday I saw a lot of FF's enter the water at the quarry. Anyone know if thats OK or who to contact to ask permission.

Thanks!
Kevin

doghaircaddis
12-30-2007, 01:08 AM
Maybe try some soft hackles or small PT's. They have been working pretty well on the tailwater over here. Good to hear from you.

Kevin_Thomas
12-30-2007, 09:48 AM
I have some softhackles that I'll try. I'm trying to line up a trip to Nashville where I can try the Caney sometime. When that finally happens, I'll let you know. Hope things are going well for you!

fishNlady
12-30-2007, 09:55 AM
I've wondered if there was access from the quarry too. If it is ok that would be great. Be interesting to find out.

Kevin_Thomas
12-30-2007, 08:33 PM
Fished the Holston with Trevor today. We both got plenty of action, but the softhackle tip was the ticket. As soon as I switched things really heated up. I landed one bow that was at least 16" and fat. It was a blast. Trevor did well on a variety of flies. Had a great time a landed a lot of fish. I really like the Holston. It has a good variety of runs and provides a great place to practice different techniques.

Happy New Year!
Kevin

patillac
12-30-2007, 09:03 PM
Nice job Kevin and Trevor. I fished the Holston a bunch the first half of this year. I caught almost all fish on PT's from 18-12. The occational fish hit a tan Caddis. That river frustrated me at times: it would absolutely boil for like three hours with no strikes. Drove me nuts, but I never tried a softhackle.

I always parked at the quarry. There are a few real nice spots from the spillover at the bend on up toward the dam. It was one of those things that a guy I knew had fished there for a few years, and lived right up the road, etc. I was skeptical to tell anyone because they were so nice to me, I didn't want to swarm them, but if the red gate is open, drive on back and ask someone if you can fish. Theres two brothers that run the show out there (I believe one guy is named Duff) and they are super cool. Make sure you find someone though, because if they don't see your truck when they lock up, you're screwed till Monday. A good bet is going on a weekday afternoon because they will probably be there and you wont have to worry about the gate being locked. Keep in mind I haven't been there since July, but that was the story then. Be good to those guys and they'll hook you up.

Kevin_Thomas
12-30-2007, 11:29 PM
That's awesome! I really enjoy that stretch of water. It reminds me of fishing out west for some reason. If I could get some takes on big hoppers I could save some frequent flyer miles... I'll check with those guys next time I get out there during the week.

ttas67
12-31-2007, 02:37 AM
yeah, thanks for the tip patillac...

I had a great day. it started out with some down home food from some country kitchen. I caught two on a #10 para adams, and one one a chartreuse wooly bugger (its all I had). others on a midge dropper. kevin showed me up, everytime I turned around, he had a fat trout in hand. thanks for inviting me kevin.

CinciVol
12-31-2007, 09:26 AM
I met Appalachain Angler in the parking lot at Nances Ferry on 12-29 at about 9 am and he showed me around the river and some nice runs. Thanks App.

We both caught a couple of fish early on olive midges (v. small) and slowly worked our way up the river when App started getting some bites on his strike indicator (!). We both switched to a dry/nymph dropper and were getting a lot more bites. I used a rather large ECH because I could see it better and had lots of hits on it, it appears that the stockers down on that part of the river aren't too choosy yet. At about 1 pm, a light hatch of sulphurs started coming off (it was close to 60 degrees out and sunny!) and the trout were really taking a small beadhead wet-hackle pheasant-tail. I probably caught 10 fish in 3-4 hours and missed many, many more fish. Lost touch with App but I thik he had a good day as well.

I made it up as far as the big shoal about 1/2 mile above the lot, just before a long stretch of flat water. I think there are a lot of trout stacked up there and they were hungry.

All fish were rainbows, ranging from 8-12 inches. Some very fat!

fishNlady
12-31-2007, 02:23 PM
I think we may have ran into you on the Holston yesterday, Kevin. My husband and I talked with you as we were leaving. I think we may have spoken to Trevor as well as he was walking up the bank by where we were fishing. Nice meeting you.

pattilac, we had one of those skunked days yesterday. The water was boiling all around us the whole time we were there but no strikes. Kevin told us about the soft hackles he used. That explained it. We used everything BUT softhackles yesterday. LOL

Oh well we're still new at this and learn something new everytime we go fishing. Thats part of the fun too...learning new things.

Happy New Year to all!

ttas67
12-31-2007, 02:46 PM
yeah, that was me you talked to as I was making that looonngg walk up, nice to meet you.

Kevin_Thomas
12-31-2007, 04:20 PM
The walk out did seem long yesterday for some reason. The rocks never dried up because of the overcast and made it very slippery. Next time its like that I may just take the trail out instead.

Rockyraccoon
12-31-2007, 06:08 PM
Oh well we're still new at this and learn something new everytime we go fishing. Thats part of the fun too...learning new things.

That's one of the beauties of fly fishing. If you really pay attention, you'll always learn something new every time out. Even if you've been at if for years you can still learn something that you may have missed in the previous years.

It really keeps the sport fresh in my opinion.