PDA

View Full Version : Holston Brown Trout??

rlbarnes
12-30-2007, 10:09 PM
The Holston River below Cherokee seems like a great place for a brown trout to grow big and fat, but I've yet to hear of one. I know the rainbow that holdover are nice and healthy. And I know a few browns are being stocked, though not in the #'s as rainbows. I just keep expecting to catch, see, or at least hear of a big brown being caught. Over the past several years I've fished the riffles below Indian Cave many times and I've yet to catch a single brown in that stretch. Up stream a mile or more, I have caught a few in the 10" or so size range, but nothing in the teens. I am curious if anyone knows more about the success of the brown trout stocking program below Cherokee (ie:survival and growth rates, stocking #'s, distribution, etc).

Kevin_Thomas
12-30-2007, 11:33 PM
Just started fishing the Holston, and I haven't caught a Brown yet. Not sure about the holdovers...

fishNlady
12-31-2007, 02:28 PM
I've not caught any browns there but I have seen a few. Not nearly as many as the rainbows but there are a few in there. As for holdovers I know there is at least 1 big guy there. We saw one back in the summer that looked like around 20-25 inches.