PDA

View Full Version : Getting out today?

Troutman
01-06-2008, 09:39 AM
I'm heading over to the Holston for a few hours this afternoon, anybody else wetting a line today?

Flying Trout
01-06-2008, 10:55 AM
Good luck, I went to the Clinch yesterday and it was a nice day to be on the water. I had left that water alone for 2 years and am still not sure I like it very much. I do need to try the Holston one day.

fishNlady
01-06-2008, 06:56 PM
We should have gone to the Holston today. We decided to go to the Clinch instead. Lot's of people fishing and we got skunked on top of that. I kinda wish we had gone to the Holston instead.

Troutman
01-06-2008, 10:48 PM
I was a pretty good day on the Holston. Lots and lots of stocked rainbows, no browns as usual. I arrived about 12pm and there were only 3 fishermen on the shoal and they all left within 15 minutes so I had the place to myself for the next 5 hours. We'll , it was me and the fish and several deer that decided to wade across downstream of me. The fish were feeding on midges just below the surface and I must not have had the right size on , because I couldn't buy a strike on nymphs or midges. I'm not real fond of that type of fishing anyways, so I pulled out the old reliable streamer and starting hooking up almost every cast. I love the feel when a fish grabs a streamer, its much better than watching a strike indicator IMO. All of the bows were anywhere from 10-14", very little coloration but feisty none the less. I took these picts for my journal but no others. The first fish on this rod, an old refurbished H-I
Tonka prince 7ft 5wt.
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/gltroutman/tailwaterfish001.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/gltroutman/tailwaterfish002.jpg
Anyways , I had a good time on my first trip of the year. I got to try out my bamboo rod and it cast and feels great fighting fish. I rid myself for a few weeks of the cabin fever and I didn't fall down in the river!

Grumpy
01-06-2008, 11:50 PM
We had a great day floating the Caney, mostlyall bows with a couple of nice browns thrown in, they were biting good today:biggrin:

Grumpy

UofMontanaAlum
01-07-2008, 12:04 AM
Spent a few hours on the Clinch today. I had 2 and my fishin' buddy, Dra_Line, had 4. Not a bad day considering everyone else around us couldn't hook into anything.

David Knapp
01-07-2008, 12:27 AM
We had a great day floating the Caney, mostlyall bows with a couple of nice browns thrown in, they were biting good today:biggrin:

Grumpy

And I had to be driving back to school....:frown: Glad ya'll had a nice day, hopefully I'll be heading home again in a few weeks and will be able to fish the river again then...:cool:

Troutman, what size streamer were you using? I need to fish streamers more often... Nice pics btw...

Troutman
01-07-2008, 11:44 AM
PA, I generally tie all my "trout" streamers on a #6 long shank streamer hook. Smallie flies get the Gama. Stingers up to size #4. I was using a plain black lead wrapped Woolly Bugger yesterday. I think its probably the best all around fly for stockers. It seems to always work no matter where you go.

irfishing
01-07-2008, 10:54 PM
The fishing was good today on the Duck River here in Middle Tennessee.
The water temperature where I was fishing was 50 degrees and the fish were active and willing. Brought 15 to hand and had a few LDRs. Dark woolybugger was the fly of choice.
Going to try the Elk tomorrow since the forecast is for more great weather.
Hard to imagine it is January!

Deedub
01-09-2008, 01:45 PM
Did you go up by the dam there in Normandy? I've had a lot of luck up there and it's not much of a tailwater, but like you said...it can produce some decent fish.

I was going to try and get away for a few hours Saturday while the weather is still pretty fair.

Any tips would be great. I've always had luck up there with the olive wooly..but if you've got suggestions...feel free.

Thanks for the report.

irfishing
01-09-2008, 11:01 PM
Deedub,
I don't think TWRA has stocked yet in the area just down stream from the dam. So the fishing for trout probably wouldn't be worth the effort.
Does anyone know for sure?

I have been fishing just below Cortner Mill. Most success on dark woolbuggers. However, a soft hackle and muddler minnow worked today. So give anything subsurface a try.
Enjoy this great weather and good luck.