PDA

View Full Version : Holston 1/5/08 Report

ChemEAngler
01-06-2008, 07:18 PM
Got out to the Holston yesterday at 11:00 around Nances Ferry. Parking lot only had two vehicles in it, a much welcome contrast to the Clinch parking lots I have seen recently. This was my first trip to Nances Ferry, so I started off fishing blindly. A very thick BWO hatch started coming off as soon as I got in the water and lasted about 45 minutes. Picked up a couple in the 12" range on a biot soft hackle BWO emerger. Had more luck throughout the day on a variety of flies, all nymphs and emergers. It is always nice to get out, and when you catch some fish especially in the middle of winter it is an added bonus. No pics from the trip, my new camera is in transit and should be here sometime this week.

Travis

patillac
01-07-2008, 05:47 PM
Nice, Chem! Iv'e got to get to the Holston one of these days. I haven't been since the summer and have never fish Nances Ferry. What camera did you decide on?

ChemEAngler
01-07-2008, 06:16 PM
Patillac,
I chose to go with the Olympus Stylus 740. I liked the type of water around Nance's Ferry. I found some areas that I would love to fish in the spring when a caddis hatch is coming off. I hooked into one that broke me off and I saw a couple of large bows rising during the BWO hatch. Definitely worth another trip. Let me know if you want to meet up and give it a try sometime.

Travis