PDA

View Full Version : New Member

kayakfish
01-12-2008, 08:50 PM
Boy Oh Boy I really like this forum, you guys have got everything going on here. I'm new to the fly fishing thing, but have been tying for about 6 months for my husband. we are planning a trip in mid April to Gatlinburg with some friends and would love to meet up with some of you to show us the ropes. My husband is a Disabled Veteren of the U.S. Marine Corp, a fake knee will keep him from traveling in unstable waters but we are up for the fishing if you all have any suggestions. Thanks

Paula Begley
01-12-2008, 10:39 PM
Welcome, kayakfish! You certainly picked a great forum to get info...it's loaded with excellent fishermen who readily share.

Thanks to your hub for his service...and we will find you places he can fish with an unstable knee.

Paula

stephen thrift
01-13-2008, 01:19 PM
Hi Kayakfish,
In Gatlinburg, have your husband cross the bridge in front of Christus Gardens. There is a stone wall on the right side. He can cast toward the bridge and let the river carry it in close toward the tree line. Good fish but usually picky. Also try the water in front of the Haunted Mansion on River Rd. and in front of the Aquarium. There is also some easy access along the Sugarland trail at the park end of town.
Good luck and Sigma phi.
Steve
P.S. Don't forget you need a Gatlinburg permit in addition to your license.

Flyfishjeep
01-13-2008, 03:36 PM
Welcome Kayakfish, When you stop into LRO on your trip they will give you a map that shows some places for your family to fish. They are great people to talk with and someone will always be able to answer your questions.

kayakfish
01-13-2008, 03:56 PM
Thanks to all you, adn do you mean the creek running infront of the big aquarium, we loved that place the last time we were there but didnt know we could fish there? Wow you guys are so helpfull, we trully appreciate all your help and any and all places are deeply appreciated.
If you guys have any other helpfull hints please feel free to email me and the hubby at kayakfish@earthlink.net or kayakangler@earthlink.net . Tight lines to everyone, I also tie flies so if anyone needs or wants flies tied email the pattern or what kind and size and we can work something out. i have a cricket pattern that has become quite popular on some of the other forums, it looks and acts reel, as it started as a realistic and got fished, and caught largemouth, bream, catfish, smallmouth, crappie, and walleye.

buckeyetrouter
01-13-2008, 04:13 PM
Hi......if you go into the Elkmont area, just immediately before the rangers qtrs is a pull off and small parking area....if you take that towards the river and to the left there are a few spots right on the river (sandy bank) that your hubby can fish.....there is a small embankment but negotiable....We are going to be there Jan 19, Feb 9 and Mothers Day weekend otherwise I would offer to assist.....

God Bless and Good Fishing
buckeyetrouter

kayakfish
01-13-2008, 08:37 PM
Thanks buckeye, it's going to be the week of the 20th of April, so anyone wanting to do a fish along we are up for it . Thanks again. Maybe some other time we can get together and do a fly fishing get away.

David Knapp
01-13-2008, 10:22 PM
Welcome aboard! Metcalf Bottoms on Little River is a good place to try with some relatively easy wading. The hatches can be very good there as well...

Troutman
01-14-2008, 09:00 PM
If your bringing Kayaks with you, I can give you some places to warmwater fly fish while your here as another option. Smallies and redbreast sunnies.
BTW: Welcome to the board, lots of Vets on here.

kayakfish
01-15-2008, 04:50 PM
Hey yeah we could pull the yaks behind us on the Rack N Roll trailer, we have Adventure Hobies, will they be okay for clearance in these waters you are talking about? Or should we bring the smaller yaks without the fins?

Troutman
01-15-2008, 11:23 PM
I would not use the Hobies on the local freestone rivers but you could over on Chilhowee Lake about 20-30 min. from Townsend across the Foothills Parkway. It a really nice paddle up to the mouth of Abrams creek with a lot of great redbreast fishing along the way.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/gltroutman/G-BurgDH036-1.jpg