PDA

View Full Version : Hiwassee 1-12

2weightfavorite
01-12-2008, 09:03 PM
Fished the Hiwassee at the bridge in reliance today. Started around 8, which looking back now was a tab bit on the early side. I started fishing all the deeper runs and riffles just up from the bridge, all with very little success. Around 10:30 or so i had worked up about 150 yards or so and switched to asize 18 bwo nymph. Immidiately i started picking up bows along the seems of some of the swift deep runs. But then thats when "it" happened. I saw one rising fish. So i switched to a size 22 bwo dry, and from around 11 until 2:30 i proceeded to yank fish after fish out of the river. I'd see some rising, I'd blind cast between riseres, it seemed like they were everywhere. Anyway, if you guys get a chance on another sunny day, head on down to reliance with some olive drys. Let me know if you're headed that way, may have to tag along if u dont mind.

David Knapp
01-13-2008, 12:13 AM
Thanks for the report! I haven't fished the HI for several weeks now and will probably try to hit it at least occasionally this semester. Shoot me an email if you want to fish sometime...

castleft
01-13-2008, 12:55 AM
I have been fishing Hiwassee last 3 week ends. Been fishing up toward Foxes Cabin and Towee shoals. I have had success with 22 BWO and if not hitting up top very well, lots of success on 18 and 20 zebra midges. Not much success with anything else and I have worked them all. It has been consistent for the last month. I plan on fishing before the rains tomorrow.