View Full Version : Hiwassee 1-12

01-12-2008, 09:03 PM
Fished the Hiwassee at the bridge in reliance today. Started around 8, which looking back now was a tab bit on the early side. I started fishing all the deeper runs and riffles just up from the bridge, all with very little success. Around 10:30 or so i had worked up about 150 yards or so and switched to asize 18 bwo nymph. Immidiately i started picking up bows along the seems of some of the swift deep runs. But then thats when "it" happened. I saw one rising fish. So i switched to a size 22 bwo dry, and from around 11 until 2:30 i proceeded to yank fish after fish out of the river. I'd see some rising, I'd blind cast between riseres, it seemed like they were everywhere. Anyway, if you guys get a chance on another sunny day, head on down to reliance with some olive drys. Let me know if you're headed that way, may have to tag along if u dont mind.

David Knapp
01-13-2008, 12:13 AM
Thanks for the report! I haven't fished the HI for several weeks now and will probably try to hit it at least occasionally this semester. Shoot me an email if you want to fish sometime...

01-13-2008, 12:55 AM
I have been fishing Hiwassee last 3 week ends. Been fishing up toward Foxes Cabin and Towee shoals. I have had success with 22 BWO and if not hitting up top very well, lots of success on 18 and 20 zebra midges. Not much success with anything else and I have worked them all. It has been consistent for the last month. I plan on fishing before the rains tomorrow.