PDA

View Full Version : hello

chazmatic
01-14-2008, 03:51 AM
greeting and salutations.
i'm new to fly fishing and thought it would be a good idea to check out the forums for tips and tricks from the pros. i have been a spin caster my whole life. i found a mint orvis "western bass" 8'9" 2pc #8 at a garage sale for $20 and decided to give it a try. i have always been fascinated with the grace and style of the fly cast. i live in salem county, nj about 5 min from the dellaware so i figure i'm in a good spot to practice.

i'm looking forward to chatting with you all about fishing and other related subjects.

Paula Begley
01-14-2008, 09:24 AM
Welcome, chaz! We are happy to have you here. Enjoy your stay and we look forward to hearing about how the Delaware fishes this spring.

Paula

stephen thrift
01-14-2008, 09:24 AM
Welcome to the world of fly fishing. The number one piece of advice I can give is patience and practice. I grew up as a salt water fisherman so when I started fly fishing I wanted to sling the fly with all my might. One or two classes and a lot of reading really helps. I took a class once and was told that a true fly fisherman practices every day even if you are not on the water. Use a ruler to practice the correct arm motion for 10-20 minutes a day and practice your techniques in the yard as much as possible. The guys at LRO are great and can offer you tons of advise.
Take your time and have fun,
Steve

David Knapp
01-14-2008, 11:21 AM
Welcome to the board!

chazmatic
01-14-2008, 12:13 PM
thanks guys. i can't wait to fish the dellaware. i haven't fished it since i was a kid. i just moved here a few months ago from sussex county. the past 15 years i've only fished lakes and small brooks (not counting Oswego salmon fishing, i didn't catch a thing in 5 days), and i'm excited to see what i pull out of the river. i'm not too sure what's in there this time of year so if anyone has any advice on tackle it would be appreciated.

Flyfishjeep
01-14-2008, 02:54 PM
Welcome aboard,
You might start a thread in the area relating to out of state waters. Not everyone will look in here at the posts, so that might be a good way to get some info from others.
Just to warn you that once you catch your first fish on a fly rod you will be addicted for life and there are not any support groups to help you get out.
Enjoy the board

irfishing
01-14-2008, 02:59 PM
Glad to have you on the board.
Keep us posted on the fishing in your neck of the woods.

007miata
01-16-2008, 11:53 PM
Welcome from another newbie to this board. It has a LOT of good info on it. I'm really enjoying reading it just to get caught up with what's going on.