PDA

View Full Version : SoHo Tommorrow !?

CinciVol
01-18-2008, 05:39 PM
Against all better judgement, I'm heading up to the South Holston tomorrow for some cold, windy, snowy fishing. I've got three friends driving down from Cinci and all of them have young kids at home, so it's this weekend or six months from now...

Anyone else silly enough to be heading that way? If you see four eskimos slinging rods downstream of the weir, that's probably us.

I throw out a full report next week. Now I just have to figure out how to take good pictures in the snow...

Hugh Hartsell
01-18-2008, 06:15 PM
CinCi,
I just took a look at the hour by hour forecast for Bristol this weekend and it looks like it will be snowing by 6:00AM Sat. morning, and all through the day. The winds are forecast to be light and if that holds true, you may have one of the finest days to fish that you could ask for. Fish normally feed very heavy when it is snowing. Sunday looks quite a bit different though. You may have a rough day if you intend to stay through the weekend. That wind is going to be tough and the temperature will be brutal. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Hugh

CinciVol
01-25-2008, 06:44 PM
This post is a bit late but I've been busy (too busy to post a fishing report, pretty sad..). Anyway, I did head up to the SoHo last Saturday with friends and the weather was actually fairly mild, probably about 30 degrees and cloudy, light winds and a couple of flurries.

The fishng was ok, not great by SoHo standards. Between the four of us we caught about 5 fish and turned about 20 in a relatively slow day of fishing. The trout were rising to what I think were very small midges or black flies for most of the day. I did see a couple of BWO's at the end of the day. Trout were rising consistently from about 1 pm on but we never could quite figure out what they wanted and the water was really low (we were fishing down from the weir).

All in all, a great trip though, and my brother caught 4 of those 5 trout (his first trout on the fly) so I was really happy to see that.

Hugh, thanks for the flies, we'll holler at you for another order in April when we head back up to try some of the springtime action!

milligan trout degree
01-26-2008, 12:27 AM
black thread midge. anywhere from size 20 to as small as you want to tie on. its nothing but black thread on a hook without a bead, but it's saved quite a few trips on the soho when the fish are sipping the bugs you can't see which always seems to be the case below the wier. when you're there next time, flip over a rock and look for small black wormlike critters. im not entomologists, but i'm prett sure thats black fly larva and the thread midge i've been tying and using mimics them pretty well. I've caught fish after fish on this fly while my friend and other fisherman are hardly having any luck around me. I always fish it below a dropper. sulphur or bwo dry if i see the bugs, caddis if i dont because it floats so well, and occasionly catches the hungry fish.

next time you're there and its going slow and the fish are sipping some invisible bug, try this fly.

you can also use very small midge dries or adult black fly dries, but i can't see these flies more than 25 ft away so i look for another option before going that route.

ben

Leinart
01-27-2008, 06:10 PM
MTD,
Thanks for the blk fly info. I'm currently tying a version on a TMC 100 #24 with a .015 backbone of lead covered w/ GSP 100 black floss...
wish me luck!

best ones!
dan