PDA

View Full Version : Parsons Branch

buzzmcmanus
01-21-2008, 05:56 PM
Has anyone ever fished the section of Parsons Branch where it flows outside the Park and into the Foothills WMA then Caulderwood Lake? I'm always intriqued by these little hard to reach places that don't see much foot traffic. I've hunted near here, but that was pre-flyfishing days and know that you would have to be half mountain goat to access this section. I'm just curious if anyone has any previous experience with this section?

flydoc
01-21-2008, 07:36 PM
Tried to fish it last summer, but it was nearly bone dry. Would be interested in trying again once it warms up a bit.

buzzmcmanus
01-22-2008, 01:50 PM
Is there a place to park at the end of Parsons Branch Road? I'll be going 129.

flydoc
01-22-2008, 10:05 PM
There's a pulloff right there.

seagull
01-23-2008, 06:21 AM
I would advise driving up Parsons Branch Rd the wrong way about 50 yds, and there is a pull off on the right, and your vehicle can't be seen from 129. Leaving your vehicle in view of 129 may have unpleasant consequences. I used to fish that section all the time. You can actually wade out into the middle of the cove in Calderwood because of all the gravel that has been washed out of the creek. Cast a small streamer toward the banks and hold on. But don't fish that section during hunting season, hunters and brown waders don't mix

buzzmcmanus
01-23-2008, 09:12 AM
flydoc, seagull, thanks for the info. I may just check it out this weekend.

FishNHunt
02-03-2008, 08:02 PM
I have fished this section from the lake to the road. It's very pretty with some nice falls. I have caught several nice smallies where it enters the lake. Something interesting about Calderwood is that their are some really nice Brookies in it. The biggest I've seen was just shy of 15 inches. No monster but still a big fish.I would surpose they would run up these rivers as well. In 1 night of fishing I have caught bows, browns, brookies, and lakers from Calderwood. Of course I was drowning night crawlers and corn..........back before I became edgumaceted. lol