PDA

View Full Version : new member soddy daisy tn.

troutcrazy
01-22-2008, 05:32 AM
first and formost im glad to be here to talk to you fellows,i live in soddy daisy tn. that is about 10 miles out of chattanooga.i usually fish the hiwassee when i want to camp with my fishing buddies (reliance bait and tackle will let u camp behind thier store for 23.00 a night,they also rent a nice little cabin for90.00 a night ) ...i camp there often..also im getting into fly fishing i see so many fisherman doing it and it looks fun but i didnt know if it would be for me..while spin fishing on the caney i came across a guide,that i started talking to about fly fishing,he talked a little to me about it and the next thing i knew i had his fly rod in my hand and he was trying (and i mean trying )to help me cast it (it was so embarassing).but after 15 or 20 min. i started feeling a little comfortable with the rod.....and as soon as i got home i was on the internet ordering a fly combo from cabelas ...lol.....ive got a new hobby now ....does anyone have any advise on what a begginer should do besides stand out in the back yard catching grass fish.?.thanks

monktrout
01-22-2008, 09:06 AM
Troutcrazy, Welcome to the board and welcome to fly fishing. If you got it bad that's good. There ain't no goin' back. Stay with it. In the beginning it can be frustrating trying to learn knots, weights, lines, etc. But it comes. The people on this site are happy to help with your questions. We were all beginners at one time. You are not too far from the Elk and Duck which offer other trout possibilities. There are plenty of warm water opportunities around Soddy-Daisy, as you probably know. If you haven't already bought your equipment, the fly fishers on this site can offer advice. You don't need to spend a lot of money to get started. I'm in the neighborhood.

David Knapp
01-22-2008, 10:18 AM
Welcome aboard! Practice is about the best thing you can be doing but if you're practicing wrong, it will develop all kinds of problems. If possible, I would recommend getting some instruction such as at one of LROs beginner schools or even hiring a guide for a half day or day. It will shorten the learning curve tremendously and make fly fishing much more enjoyable...

limbsnagger
01-22-2008, 01:10 PM
I second platau anglers advice. Getting some instruction from folks who have cast a fly a while is the best route. Certainly the classes at LRO will be money well spent. Those guys are all certified by the Joan Wulff instructor shcool which is excellent. They also have guest "star" clinics that are completely free. Usually Lefty Kreh, a name you'll here much of once you get into this if you've not already, and Joe Humphrey, also very famous and head of Penn. States fly fishing program, come once a year. I think Joe usually comes in the spring and Lefty later in the summer. The only catch at these things is you have to be willing to volunteer to stand in front of every one and make an example of your self but having done this 2 years in row myself with Lefty I can tell you there simply not a better way to learn to cast correctly quickly. I was mostly self taught with some video instruction thown in prior to going to the clinics and it took me a long time to learn what probably would have taken far less time if I'd gotten one on one instruction earlier. However, let me just say that fly fishing is a "cranial sport" , I'm quoting Byron on this one, and no matter how long you do this there is always more to learn. Personally, I like that aspect of fly fishing and hope you will to. This is a sport that gets more rewarding the more you do it.
Everyone on this board is usually willing to give advice and it's always good sound advice thus far. Good luck!

Chad

rainshaker
01-22-2008, 02:46 PM
...Stay with it. In the beginning it can be frustrating trying to learn knots, weights, lines, etc. But it comes. The people on this site are happy to help with your questions. We were all beginners at one time.

Welcome!... from one Chattanooga native to another

Also for me, just starting out, knots, lines, leaders, and tippet was the most frustrating part to learn. I would suggest practice tying 3 basic knots if you haven't already.

Double surgeons knot
perfection loop
improved clinch knot

Also, as mentioned, you'll gain loads of info at any of Lefty's casting clinics. I think I learned more in one half hour than any amount of time spent practicing in the yard.

Flyfishjeep
01-22-2008, 03:36 PM
Welcome aboard. As you can see already people are eager to share their knowledge. Enjoy!!

highpockets
01-22-2008, 03:54 PM
New here myself and yes I "grass fish" whenever I can using some old 5wt WF line. Don't just cast around though, pick out a leaf, figure the current to it and determine where you'd drop the fly to make it drift into the leaf's mouth!!!!

Welcome to the board!!!

troutcrazy
01-24-2008, 05:15 AM
i just want to thank everyone for being so helpful and giveing such good advise..where are these clinics at and when?......i contacted a guide this evening for instruction...and i hope it goes well ...if anyone doesnt mind a tagalong if you are going to the hiwasse or the caney feel free to shoot me an email,because i am going to need all the help i can get ....lol..my email add is joenichols75@yahoo.com....thanks guys!

PoorlyTiedFly
01-24-2008, 09:35 AM
Welcome aboard! There is a lot to learn here and tons of great advice.