PDA

View Full Version : 1 Day & 1 Stream in the Park?

MtnMike
01-23-2008, 11:44 AM
I have fished a good number of streams in the Park, But it seems that I have an ongoing obsession with Abrams creek in the spring and Cataloochee in the fall. So, as I am making plans for 2008 I'm just wondering if you could only fish once in the park where would you go and when? I certainly hope to go more than once, but I'm just curious where other folks who may have spent more time on different streams would go if they had 1 day to fish 1 stream in 2008.

Thanks for any input,
Mike

David Knapp
01-23-2008, 11:53 AM
If I only had one day, I would hit a stream that I know very well. Probably somewhere on LR or Abrams and mostly likely in early May. Great question and I'm interested in seeing other people's responses...

Troutman
01-23-2008, 12:03 PM
Mid and upper section of Deep Creek when the rhododendron is in full bloom along the river in April, May.

Rog 1
01-23-2008, 12:08 PM
Late May to early June....put me on the middle to upper section of Fish Camp Prong

mtnman2888
01-23-2008, 02:10 PM
I'm going to have to second the backcountry of deep creek, although i would choose to go in october to have a shot and some of those huge browns.

Craig

nvr2L8
01-23-2008, 10:52 PM
I still have a lot of streams to try out in the park, but last year I kept going back to West Prong Little Pigeon. No matter how many times I fished it, I never got tired of it. You get a mixture of bows and brookies, series of spills, big pools, a large section of flat water and enough rocks to hop to keep your heart pumping. I've spent several 6-8 hour days on that stream alone. Most of the times that I spent there were from mid summer to early fall and, best part of all, never left without catching.

ttas67
01-24-2008, 07:59 AM
another vote for deep creek, spring or fall. close ,very close second would go to abrams, then cataloochee.

russ
01-24-2008, 09:27 AM
Deep Creek in late spring/ early summer. Way back in the back country. Of course 1 day wouldn't be enough but if I could only fish 1 stream this year that would be it.
Next choice would be Abrams.

mtnman2888
01-24-2008, 10:43 AM
I know this is kind of straying from the topic, but i would say my second choice would be way up high on hazel near proctor and some of the other feeder streams. Now, i've never been there (although i plan to this year) but just the fact of being in that historic area away from everyone else and because you know most everyone fishes the lower section. I have a feeling there is some good brookie fishing up there........time will tell.

Craig

MtnMike
01-24-2008, 11:07 AM
Craig,

I've fished most of the major streams in the park except Hazel, right now it is at the top of my list and I am suprised that it hasn't been mentioned more often. A friend of mine wants to come in from the top and work his way down so that he can see that upper water, we're afraid that if we start at the bottom we'll probably never get as high as Proctor Creek, that is quiet a ways from any campsite and I'm worried that if we start at the top we may never make it down to the campsite if we do any fishing at all. I have some questions about Hazel and just how crowded it might be, I usually try to avoid the crowds, but would really want to stay at #83 and designate one full day to Bone Valley. I usually plan a trip for May, and every year I consider Hazel, but end up somewhere else, I think I'm going to Hazel this year, now I just need to settle on a week.

Troutman
01-24-2008, 11:36 AM
I know of at least one outfitter that has a group trip planned for Hazel Creek from May 1-4 2008. They have a large group every year, but the upper sections probably won't see very many of them. Plan accordingly and take lots of picts for us.

mtnman2888
01-24-2008, 02:09 PM
MtnMike,

You seem to have the same aspirations and plans as my camping partner and i have. We have discussed coming in from the top and walking down and just have another car at the bottom, so we don't have to walk uphill. I don't know this for sure (i've only been to hazel once), but i believe the majority of the fishing pressure is in the lower 2 miles or river. In my opinion, the extreme upper portions of hazel probably receive less pressure than most any other stream in the smokies. I would think that most people that try hazel can't pass up the lower famed sections and try for big fish. I believe that it's a good hike from the top of clingman's dome to the first campsite, something like 8 or 9 miles (but at least it would be all downhill!). I could be wrong, but i really don't think the upper sections see too many people.

If anyone on here is fished that section of hazel i would love to hear about it. I'm going to try and plan a trip this summer, so i will definitely fill y'all in on that when i return.

Craig

MtnMike
01-24-2008, 02:55 PM
Troutman,
Thanks for letting me know about the outfitter trip. I usually take my Spring trip on a Thursday through the weekend. But I have pretty much decided that if I do Hazel it will be Monday thru Friday just hoping that there will be less traffic on the weekend. But, I would sure like to know if there are going to be any large groups there at the same time.
I have some more questions, but instead of turning this into a Hazel Creek thread, I think I will start one for that in the backcountry board.

flydoc
01-24-2008, 03:03 PM
My vote is for the Little Pigeon above Chimney Tops (through the gorge). Probably not the place for big fish and maybe not even numbers, but the scenery and solitude is unmatched for me. Rugged territory, so bring a buddy (that won't disturb the solitude!).

Craig, tried to catch up with you on another post. Willing to give out any info on the cabin you were at in VA? Sound like a place I could go with the wife and little one for a getaway.

Can't wait til Spring!

-Nick
mailforanderson@gmail.com

ijsouth
01-24-2008, 10:47 PM
If I was limited to one day, and I really wanted to catch fish, I couldn't pass up what has become my "home waters" in the park - Cosby. Now, I would know that I wouldn't have much of a chance at a "tape-measure" fish, but for scenery and a lot of eager brookies, that would be my choice.

Now, as for an adventure...I explored the Little Cataloochee area back in November. I didn't get much of a chance to fish it, but we're definitely going to try it this Spring...a 10 mile drive on a gravel road to reach it, then there's no trail up the stream...sounds wonderfully isolated.