PDA

View Full Version : Holston River

YoungBuck1
01-24-2008, 05:14 PM
I'm heading out to the Holston River tomorrow for the first time in a while. I fish mainly clinch, smokies, soho, watauga, and caney. I'm not too familiar with the clinch though. I was thinking about taking the canoe or kayak down it. Anyone know any good put ins? Is there any particular place I should fish? Anything to use? Just looking for some info from someone thats more familiar with the area. Thanks!

milligan trout degree
01-24-2008, 07:29 PM
You can put in right at cherokee dam, but I'm pretty sure you have to devote a full day to float to the next public take out. If you're wading from the dam, you can walk downstream to some shoals. Its a pretty good walk down, and the water is kinda of murky so be careful. Glasses help. I'd definately have some zebra midges. black, olive, neon green, and white. If they're not hitting dark midges, switch to light. Go for long drifts. there is some slow water there, so you have to be patient. I've had some real good days there. You can always count on some serious midge hatching.

nvr2L8
01-24-2008, 08:47 PM
I'm going to be traveling from Johnson City to Wilkesboro, NC via Boone one morning the last week in April. Is there somewhere along that route that I can stop from a quick fix?

milligan trout degree
01-25-2008, 12:25 AM
if you going from johnson city through boone, you're gonna parrallel the watuaga for about five miles or so through elizabethton. once you get on 321 in hampton, you'll go past watauga lake where i've heard about some good reports of 30 fish days. browns, bows, and lake trout. the guy i talked to said he was fishing one of the first accesses as you see the lake from the highway. you'll also go past laurel fork in hampton which is a stocked stream below the falls and a wild brown trout stream above the falls. on 321 you'll go past elk river also, but i dont know so much about it. i'm also pretty sure you'll be near the delayed harvest area of the watauga river above the lake. also when you get into boone, there are a lot of wild streams in the area, but i can't help you much more than that. I've never fished in boone.

ben

nvr2L8
01-25-2008, 09:02 AM
Much appreciated.

flywill
01-25-2008, 05:21 PM
Nancy's Ferry is an option to put in a canoe, or do some wade fishing. I have had very good success there. Fishing pressure is high during peak season, but not now. You can get there by turning down Indian Springs Road off 11 as it passes through Blaine, then just keep watching for the brown boat ramp signs. Good luck and have fun!

ajh10567
02-10-2008, 07:59 PM
I have been up to the Clinch a couple of times, but i don't have a canoe or kayak so I have to wade. What are the best spots on the Holston to wade?

appalachian angler
02-10-2008, 08:10 PM
The easiest place to wade is directly above the boat launch at Nances Ferry. You can find some wading up by the dam when the water is off. Nances sees a good stocking of catchable browns and rainbows in November I believe. They should be around all winter.

aa