PDA

View Full Version : Arkansas

monktrout
01-25-2008, 09:21 AM
I plan to fish in Arkansas the first week in April. Hope to get a guide that will show me the fishing possibilites. Not interested in a float. If you have been on the White, Norfork, etc. your ideas would be appreciated. I plan to be in the Mountain Home area. Places to stay, eat, lodges, fly shops, guides all would be helpful. It will be my first trip to fish Ark. Thanks, Monktrout

flydoc
01-25-2008, 10:47 AM
I used to live in Memphis, so I've spent a lot of time in Arkansas. If I was to go back I would definitely want to hit the Little Red. My favorite of the major tailwaters. You can easily wade at Cow Shoals and Swinging Bridge. Check out Ozark Anglers (www.ozarkangler.com) for fishing reports, great maps, patterns, etc.

White and Norfork are good, too. My recollection was that it was a little harder to wade there.

Be VERY careful about guides on any of those waters. Definitely a lot of "Bubbas" who will fish the whole time. I'll never forget my first guided trip. I was just learning to flyfish and thought getting a guide would help, although I could barely afford it. He motored us to a good shoal, jumped out of the boat and started fishing with a banjo minnow (literally) before I could even rig up. He caught tons of fish, I caught none. He even had the nerve to ask me to take pictures of him with his fish and mail them to him! Ozark Anglers won't steer you wrong. All of the "trout dock" lodges will likely leave you disappointed.

I've stayed at the Budget Inn and Quality Inn. Clean, no frills. Lots of nice little diners in town.

FLYMANBILL
02-12-2008, 08:16 PM
FOR THOSE WHO VISIT ARKANSAS TO FISH THE WHITE AND NORFORK , CHECK OUT mOUNTAIN RIVER FLY SHOP AT COTTER . ALSO BLUE RIBBON FLY SHOP AT mT HOME. BOTH CAN RECOMMEND GUIDES.

monktrout
02-12-2008, 09:17 PM
Flymanbill, Thanks for the info on Ark. Do you know if the first of April is a good time for wade fishing the White or Norfork? I was wondering how heavy the generation is at that time. One float trip is all I want. Any other advice is appreciated. Would you stay on the White or the Norfork? I think Rim Shoals lodge is on the White.

FLYMANBILL
02-12-2008, 10:07 PM
i stay at cotter at a campground . Wife and I pull a 26 ft trailer and stay at white river campground. Several motels in Mt. home and a couple of lodges in or near cotter. I like the White and the Norfork is close enough to fish both. I wade both and the fly shops can give the generation schedules. If you know the schedule you can wade until the water starts to rise then move down river ahead of the surge. I go down in mid march for the Sow bug Roundup, a fly fishing show. the browns are just off the redds and hungry. Try rim shoels for trophy trout in lbs.

monktrout
02-13-2008, 08:33 AM
Flymanbill, Thanks for the info. on the White. I was looking at a lodge on Rim Shoals. Decent price for a small cabin and good access.

MBWCC
02-13-2008, 11:12 AM
John Gulley, Orvis "Guide of the Year" 1998, lives near Norfork, AR, guides both the Norfork and the White River.

http://www.flyguide.com

Wade Blevins
02-13-2008, 01:18 PM
I must say I have not found any FLY FISHING guides in arkansas that resemble the remark made earlier. Rim Shoals will be excellent fishing in April as well as the Norfork. Should be early caddis and crane flies. Midges in slow water. Eggs that are weighted or on jig heads work great and various streamers on the downstream and across presentation. Fox squirrle nymphs and y2k bugs are tried and true. Easy to have 200 fish days on the White. Gary and Paula Flippin at Rim Shoals are great people and they will help you find the right people to fish with. The shop in Gassville and Blue Ribbon Fly Shop in Mtn. Home (Dale Fulton's) are both excellent fly shops with extremely knowledgeable people. Wildcat, 3 chutes and Rim Shoals will provide excellent wade fishing if no generators are running. On the Norfork I would recommend starting at the handicap access and walking up to what used to be McClellans trophy area. about 1 3/4 miles upstream but worth the walk. Let me know if I can be of help. PM me if you would like more info. Best Regards,
Waders

rodhook
02-13-2008, 02:22 PM
Berry Brothers Guide Service
Cotter, Arkansas
John Berry - 870 435-2169
WWW.berrybrothersguides.com - berrybrothers@infodash.com
Dave Wotton tel/fax: 870-453-2195 E-Mail davyfly@ozarkmountains.com
Rim Shoals Lodge & Fly Shop www.rimshoals.com 870-435-6144

Duane Hada www.duanehada.com 870-449-4955
geniration schedule 870-435-5311

I would try to schedule with : Berry or Wotton

Good Luck

monktrout
02-13-2008, 05:00 PM
Rodhook , Wade, MBWCC, Thanks for all the great information everyone. I will get with you later about some more ideas. Thanks, Monk