PDA

View Full Version : which rod

Flying Trout
01-25-2008, 03:14 PM
OK, I have 2 5wts, 1 4wt, and an 8wt. I want to buy a 2wt or 3wt. Which one should I buy? I think that my son would be able to use the 2wt. The two weight would offer me a more drastic change in what I have. I just want to know what you guys would do. I'm at least going to buy a reel before the end of the month.

donwinn
01-25-2008, 03:29 PM
Flying Trout,

I have a 2wt and a 3wt. They are both nice rods, but I think the 3wt is much more versatile. I would go with it.

Gerry Romer
01-25-2008, 03:45 PM
... I'm at least going to buy a reel before the end of the month.

Sounds like somebody some LRO gift cards for Christmas :biggrin:

If you're looking for a dedicated mountain rod that your son could also use on a variety of waters, I'd go with a 7 1/2' 3 wt. rod and match it up with an Orvis BBS II reel... better hurry before you don't have any pockets left ;)

Gerry

irfishing
01-25-2008, 05:02 PM
Suggest consideration of a 7 or 7 1/2 foot, 3wt rod.
For the reel, check the new Orvis BBS I.
I have this reel on a 7foot, 3wt rod and it is great.

Fishermansfly
01-25-2008, 05:21 PM
Trout Bum (New Series) 3 wt....I'll let the rod speak for itself and I'll shut up now!

gverholek
01-26-2008, 04:56 PM
I have an FlyLogic FLO 803-3 for sale for $100 (retail $275). It was my go-to rod for the GSMNP until I snagged a Sage on sale at a fly show. Quite frankly, they cast equally well. The only difference was $$, and the Sage is a 4pc. If you're interested, let me know.

ttas67
01-26-2008, 05:32 PM
Don't forget, LRO is offering free wonderline with any BBS reel. that's a really good deal!

I'd go w/ a 3wt as well. 2wt's are fun, but the 3 is much more versatile.

txbrown
01-26-2008, 08:50 PM
I have a 2 wt and I love fishing dries with it but the 3 wt I have is more versatile for nymphs.

As for the BBS reels, I have a IV and a II and would recommend them for the price. With the line offer it is a very good deal.

monktrout
01-26-2008, 09:33 PM
I have two 3wts. A7ft Diamondback for mtn streams. A 8ft9in Sage VPS Light for tailwater midgin' and dries. I have a Hardy old school featherweight reel. I understand the newer ones are not made in England. We will have to wait and see if these new ones will be 20 year reels.

Flying Trout
01-27-2008, 06:14 PM
I'm going to buy a bbs I this week since the line is free. I believe after the posts I have read I will go with a three weight. Thanks for all the help, now all I have to do is decide which one within what I am willing to spend.

Gerry Romer
01-27-2008, 11:52 PM
...now all I have to do is decide which one within what I am willing to spend.

Don't overlook the TFO rods - great value for the $$.

Gerry

swipper 74
01-28-2008, 10:15 AM
Even though I haven't had the chance to fish it yet, I love the feel of the new Sage Launch 3wt I just received from LRO. It may be a little longer than you want at 8' 6", but paired up with the BBS II and free wonderline, it looks and feels great casting in the yard! I also considered a TFO Finesse, but for $40 more I got a Lifetime unconditional warranty (minus S&H) and a rod tube. I can't wait to get out and fish this rod! Just my $0.02. I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever rod you get!

PeteCz
01-28-2008, 07:32 PM
Here's my $.02. Go with the TFO Pro in either 7'6" or 8'6". You can be out the door for around $170 (w/rod & a tube). The rods are great casting, easy to hike with (4pcs) and most importantly, they have a no-fault warranty.

From the TFO website:
NO-FAULT WARRANTY
Our No-Fault Warranty is for the life of the original registered owner. Send your registration card with each purchase to activate your warranty. Simply return a damaged rod with $25 for shipping & handling, and we will repair or replace your rod.

Blanks sections (as appropriate) will be replaced and returned with related hardware and finishings from broken sections. This warranty is limited to our blank, on custom TFO rods.

My fishing buddy "accidentally" stepped on mine this past year and broke it in three places. On the hike out, I somehow managed to lose one of the sections. Paula sent it back to TFO for me and they replaced it all in less than 2 weeks, no questions asked. They are an excellent company and I will buy many more rods from them. (I hope my wife didn't read that).

My 3wt casts like a dream. If you haven't done so already, go to LRO and have them line the 3wt rod with some 4wt line. When dinking flies in the park, I've found the extra line wt makes for nicer casting on the shorter casts. But try it before you buy it...YMMV

Flying Trout
01-29-2008, 08:08 PM
I went with the TFO pro 7'6". I went ahead and bought the BBS I lined with 3wt line and BBS II lined with 4wt. I was not planning on the 4wt line and extra reel but with the sale could not pass up. I just have to wait on the reels to arrive and I'll be set.

Thanks for all of your help guys. I'm sure LRO appreciated it. Thanks for helping me out at closing time today.