PDA

View Full Version : Clouser Minnow

indianafly
01-27-2008, 08:53 PM
Hello,
I was hoping to get some help. I'm very new to fly tying and fairly new to fly fishing. I've been trying to tie a clouser minnow but I can't get the buck tail to come out with the tips even. Is there something I can do? I've tried to use my hair stacker but when I tap it on my desk the hair only sits there and doesn't move. So when I'm done tying the hair has a tappered look. Thanks for any help.

irfishing
01-27-2008, 09:36 PM
Assuming the hair stacker isn't packed full of hair it sounds like it may have a static charge which keeps the hair from falling to the bottom. Have you tried wiping it with a damp cloth or something made for eliminating surface static charge.

Anyone with other thoughts?

Flyfishjeep
01-28-2008, 01:04 PM
You can try a little bit harder of a tap, or see if your stacker is too small for the hair you using it for. Make sure to pull out all the undercoat from the hair your wanting to use. Sometimes that can be to thick and hold up your hair. Good Luck and let us know if you can't get it.

Rockyraccoon
01-28-2008, 02:39 PM
As mentioned,

Clean the guard hairs out well. I like to use a stiff toothbrush to brush the hair with before putting it in the stacker.

Troutman
01-28-2008, 03:47 PM
I don't want the tips to be even on my clousers. A tapered body to the tail is what you want. If you stack the tips, it will make the fly look like a paintbrush. Make sure you trim the hair off the hide very close and use half of what you think you need.

The only time I stack hair tips is for dry flies like elk hair caddis , stimis and such where you need even tips to balance the fly.

monktrout
01-28-2008, 05:09 PM
I agree with Troutman. I don't stack the calf hair.