PDA

View Full Version : Elk River 1-28-08

roberts618
01-29-2008, 09:38 AM
I was on the Elk below TF Dam yesterday. Mostly senior fly fishermen getting out of the house for a few relaxing hours on the stream. Everyone I talked to was friendly and helpful. The water temp was 50 degrees but it felt like 40 degrees in my waders and boots.

I was able to catch two RB trout - both about 10 inches using a Copper John / Hares Ear rig and another using a green Wooly Bugger.

The midges were hatching profusely in the bush along the stream-side but I did not see that many actually over the water.

I left about 4 pm when it felt like my feet needed thawing out.

highpockets
01-29-2008, 11:05 AM
AHHHHHHHH The weather has finally warmed and I'm getting on a plane for Colorado WITHOUT fishing gear and I live 15 minutes from the TF **** where you said you caught a few. AHHHHH

Hey, anybody need anything from Colorado Springs way?? Gonna hit the fly shops and see what they've got!

metalman709
01-30-2008, 07:09 PM
hey highpockets, i was pondering taking a trip up to the elk and camping one weekend but i'm having trouble finding a place to camp. i wanted to camp right on the river if at all possible, ( not at the park on the lakeside) do you know any spots that you might suggest?

irfishing
01-30-2008, 09:36 PM
roberts618,
Thanks for the update on the Elk. If the temperature hits that predicted for Monday, I may give it a try. I have been fishing the Duck river since it is a lot closer to home.

metalman709,
Not sure it is legal, but there have been campers at the Farris Creek access point. Suggest you contact Tim's Flies & Lies fly shop in Lynchburg for information on possible camping sites. Good luck fishing.

metalman709
01-30-2008, 10:23 PM
thanks irfishing, your suggestions were more than i had even if they don't turn up anything.

MT365
01-31-2008, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the Elk report. I'm planning on heading down there Monday. Did you try any zebra midges while you were there?

metalman709 - I've fished the Elk quite a bit and I'm not sure of any legal campsites but there is a canoe company in Kelso, TN that offers overnight canoe trips on the Elk, putting in at the TF dam. I've never used them but have been thinking of planning a trip this spring. They should be able to help you out with some camping locations.
http://www.elkrivercanoes.com/trips.htm

Elk riverrat
02-01-2008, 11:07 PM
Ben the owner of the canoe rental is my neighbor, good guy.

Personally, I'd float and find me a nice secluded place and camp. The river is 600' from my front porch, I find fire rings all throughout the summer, as long as they don't leave trash, and steal my naked, I'm glad they got out and enjoyed God's green earth.

SHRGuide
02-02-2008, 07:19 PM
Guys,

I just moved back east to Huntsville,AL . I was guiding at a ranch in Jackson Hole, Wy. I am originally from Huntsville and fished the elk alot when I lived here. What is the fishing like in the winter? Are there any big hold over fish??? (big browns?)

Andy

monktrout
02-07-2008, 11:43 PM
Had a nice day below the dam on the Elk. Started off slow. finally took some fish on a BH brassie 16. Smaller size may have helped. Fish in the 9-12"range. Not crowded. Another angler did well on sz 20 zebra midges. One fellow walked 1/2mile beyond the bend and did well on partridge and yellow soft hackles. Hopefully the Clinch tomorrow

ajh10567
02-10-2008, 07:46 PM
This may seem like a dumb question, but I have no idea where the elk river is located. Could someone help me out?

DKing271
02-11-2008, 12:05 AM
This may seem like a dumb question, but I have no idea where the elk river is located. Could someone help me out?

The Elk River is below Tim's Ford Dam, located between Winchester and Lynchburg TN. Fished it 2/10 with limited success.