PDA

View Full Version : fishing near Tennessee Tech

Tater
01-29-2008, 01:39 PM
I am a senior this year and I am thinking about attending Tennessee Tech in the fall of 08. I am hoping to major in fisheries science. I know that the campus is about 20 min from the Caney. I was wondering if there was any other water ways that are fishable near the campus, warm or cold water. I know the obey is somewhere over there. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

David Knapp
01-29-2008, 01:55 PM
There are lots of warmwater streams around there but I can't really help you with any specifics as I always go to the Caney. That river should keep you plenty busy as far as fishin' is concerned except when they run a lot of water (unless you'll have a boat). If you're willing to drive up to Crossville, there are some decent streams (Daddy's Creek, Obed River, Clear Creek, among others) for bass, panfish, etc...

ttas67
01-29-2008, 04:12 PM
TTU is an excellent school. UT and ETSU offer better fishing options though...:smile:

Flying Trout
01-29-2008, 08:03 PM
I went to Tech not so long ago. You have the Caney which is close or you could go to Dale Hollow or Center Hill. I know that there are some other wading options near. I'll get back to you once I look at the map. We used to go down to Rock Island State park and swim below the dam. I have no idea what kind of fishing there is there. Like I said I'll get back to you.

snaildarter
01-30-2008, 12:31 AM
I went to Tech some time ago as well. There is a lot of fine smallmouth small stream fishing not too far from there. Some of the landowners are EXTREMELY ornery, especially in Jackson County, so it would be best if you fished near the obvious public access points, like bridges. Having said that, I fished perhaps a hundred times near there, and only once really got into it with a landowner. You'll fit in best if you have a big wad of tobacco in your mouth and speak with a slow southern drawl.

Places to check out:

- Spring Creek, has coosa bass in it, which you may never have the opportunity to catch anywhere else
- Blackburn Fork (bass)
- Roaring River (bass)
- West Fork of the Obey (bass)
- Calfkiller has trout stockings in cold weather and bass too

If you are willing to drive further, you got

- Caney Fork below Center Hill (lotsa trout and bass)
- Caney Fork above Center Hill (bass and muskies)
- Obey below Dale Hollow (trout)
- Lotsa streams and rivers around Big South Fork and Obed/Emory systems

Of course there are lakes too, but I usually stuck with streams.

Acid mine drainage has made miles of the East Fork of the Obey completely dead, so you may as well avoid that one completely.

Tech is a great school. Enjoy your time there, but make sure you walk out with a degree. Many (most?) don't. Unfortunately, you will never get the respect you deserve in life without that degree.

Dr. Cook, in the Fisheries department, is who you want to hook up with. He occasionally teaches aquatic insect classes for LRO. He is a great guy, and probably won't mind giving you some fishing tips too.

monktrout
01-30-2008, 12:09 PM
Tater, As a Tech graduate I think you have made a good choice for college. I graduated 35 years ago and still have fond memories of Cookeville. You have gotten some good information from this forum. Nothing much I can add, except to stay in school. It is a good place.

Flying Trout
01-30-2008, 05:31 PM
Snaildarter you did a great job telling Tater the spots. Have a great time Tater.

Tater
01-30-2008, 06:30 PM
Thanks everyone. there seems to be a lot of fishing places near Tech.