PDA

View Full Version : Meigs Creek trail

Redfish62
01-29-2008, 04:35 PM
Recently I hiked with my daughter from the sinks up Meigs creek trail. It is beautiful and the stream looks great. But I have not fished it myself or heard any one mention it. Has any one fished it? Any info would be appreciated.

Regards,
Calvin T. O'Hern

sammcdonald
01-29-2008, 07:14 PM
17 water crossings before lumber ridge trail.....gotta be a fish in there somewhere....plus, i've been in it at about crossing 14

Redfish62
01-30-2008, 08:56 AM
Sam,

Thank you,

WRN
01-30-2008, 08:38 PM
I have walked and fished this stream a few times and with all the crossings you can spend the long part of a day in there. It has Specs and they like swabs that have been at sea for ninety days will jump on most anything. You can make many mistakes and they still jump on most any bushy fly if the temperature is right. Not a lot of people back in there this time of year so be prepared and be safe.

nvr2L8
01-30-2008, 09:33 PM
So many streams, so little time! :eek: Another one to add to the list for this summer. Maybe I can hit Meigs and Laurel Branch in one trip.

pedipop
02-07-2008, 09:19 PM
Since reading the initial message in this thread, I have attempted to locate Meigs Creek Trail. I have searched my resources of maps, books, etc. Would someone help? It sounds special.
Thanks,
Pedipop

nvr2L8
02-07-2008, 09:33 PM
Pedipop,

The Sinks are located on the East Prong of Little River about 60% of the way between the Y (juncture of East and West Prongs of Little River) and Metcalf Bottoms off Little River Road. The Meigs Creek Trail begins at the Sinks and goes south of the LRR. Meigs Creek actually dumps into Little River about a mile or so below the Sinks so you have to travel a bit on the MC Trail from the Sinks to hit Meigs Creek.

Hope this helps.

pedipop
02-07-2008, 09:39 PM
Charlie B
Thanks much. I think I've got it.
Pedipop

sammcdonald
02-07-2008, 10:00 PM
there is an old manway which leads bck to meigs falls..........actaully follows an old grade. unmaintained and really pretty hairy.

Rog 1
02-08-2008, 10:16 AM
Has anyone tried to get into this water from the lower end at the falls....guess the question is is there a way around or over the falls to get to the creek above it....there is another little stream that empties into LR below Elkmont that comes off the ridge and after searching for it could not find an acceptable was for these old legs to climb above where it came in....forget the legs I just a little smarter now than when I was younger and more daring.

sammcdonald
02-08-2008, 12:14 PM
rog,
that is mannis creek.....don't think i'd like to climb that.
meigs falls has access around the falls to the creek above. however, the access to meigs creek will be easier up the regular trail and then back down the manway

nvr2L8
02-08-2008, 12:47 PM
I climbed up around the falls to the creek above one day last summer and it was a pretty tough go. Once I got up there, there wasn't much creek to see (drought and all). Look forward to trying it again this year with a little more water in it but I will definitely go in on the Meigs Creek Trail rather than up the falls next time.

Rog 1
02-08-2008, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the input....this is what I like so much about this board....sam, you are right...had forgotten the name....the creek itself was actually hard to find and when the river is up it is hard to access.....think you would have to be part billy goat to get above the falls there....

nvr2L8
02-08-2008, 06:01 PM
I was in the park last weekend and saw what must have been Mannis Creek for the first time. With the water up, the falls were beautiful coming down the side of the mountain. Have been by there many, many times and never had seen it. I took a picture of the falls so that I could ask somebody what creek it was - thanks for the info, Sam. Do you know if there is much of a creek up above the falls or if there is another way into it other than scaling the ridge?

sammcdonald
02-08-2008, 07:45 PM
there is a pic of mannis on the scenic board. to get to the creek above, you gotta bush whack from meigs mountain trail......can't recommend that route....at least i think it's meigs and then off trail.......that creek isn't that long....