PDA

View Full Version : Oregon Fly Fishing

Groundhawg
02-06-2008, 09:51 AM
I am going to Portland Oregon the first of May on a business trip and would appreciate any suggestions for outfitters or fishing waters in the area. I have never had the opportunity to doing any fly fishing in the Northwest and would like to take advantage of the opportunity while I am out in that area.

Groundhawg

donwinn
02-06-2008, 02:47 PM
Groundhawg,

I have fished in Oregon twice. I fished with and without a guide. The first time there I got hooked up with Mike McCoy. He is not affiliated with any fly shop. He is just a good guy. So, the second time I went I call Mike again. He has moved recently so I'm not sure where he would be able to guide you, but he can put you in contact with someone if he is not convenient. His e-mail is provided below. By the way, we fished several rivers on the last trip. Although it has some big fish, I would stay away from the Metolius. Just my opinion.

mikemccoy@dcwisp.net

Groundhawg
02-06-2008, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the info.

Oregon's fish and wildlife web page doesn't give me much help. A quick search on Google gave a few guides, but not as many as I expected.

Scott

Westslope
03-09-2008, 08:31 PM
Groundhawg,
I grew up in Portland, OR. A number of options exist, but at that time of year, the Deschutes River is hard to beat, especially near the town of Maupin (2-3 hours from Portland). It is one of the most famous rivers in Oregon, for a native strain of rainbows known as "Redsides" for their brilliant coloration, and a tendency for acrobatics and hard-fighting qualities. Summer-run steelhead also reside here, both wild and hatchery runs, although they peak in the fall. Personally, I would suggest going after the Redsides, trout that average 12-16" and more than a few reach 18-20" (landing these is sometimes another matter); a 14 or 15" trout will often take you into your backing.
The Deschutes is a big river, and can seem intimidating at times,
but if you just concentrate on fishing near shore, you should be able to find trout feeding (a number of insect hatches this time of year, several types of mayflies and caddis, and some of the large salmon flies and golden stones may be starting up as well). One major fishing hint: focus on the eddies near shore, approach carefully, some of the largest trout often hold very close to the banks. Wading can be tricky with heavy flows and sudden dropoffs, and the stream bed is made up of uneven volcanic rock. But the fish are there, and the river and countryside (semi-arid desert) are beautiful.
Quite a few outfitters guide on this river, I haven't been guided here myself, but the Deschutes Canyon Fly Shop in Maupin has good people from what I've seen, and another fellow, John Judy, has a good reputation and has guided on the Deschutes for years. If you google either of these, you should be able to get some information. Given the size and scope of the river, a guide might be a good idea. And if you have other questions, feel free to ask, I've fished here myself a fair amount over the years...A wonderful fly fishing river, not to be missed!

Iain