PDA

View Full Version : Opening Day

irfishing
02-08-2008, 11:39 AM
Byron,
Great fishing report, as usual, this morning.
Having an opening day event sounds like a good idea.
Another opportunity/excuse to get together, have fun then fish.
Hope it happens.
If there are others who like the idea, let Byron know.

Gerry Romer
02-08-2008, 12:43 PM
Hey Byron --

Wouldn't it be great if Troutfest could coordinate their annual event with your idea of an April 1st Opening Day?! After all, their whole thing is really a celebration of our native trout.

Gerry

Byron Begley
02-08-2008, 01:30 PM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the comments. I think Troutfest will keep the same date. Joe wouldn't change that date for anything. I'm thinking "Opening Day" should be something we all plan together. The City of Townsend and the Smoky Mountain Convention and Visitors Bureau might want to be involved or maybe not. It could just be LRO and friends. You can probably google Roscoe New York opening day. I'll try it in a minute. Up there they all talk about the legendary two headed trout. I can't remember the details but I think the trout evolved from trying to decide if it should swim up the Beaverkill or the Willowemoc. They have a big party up there. Of course when you drive into Roscoe there is always a big banner over the main street that says "Welcome to Trout Town". Lets keep this one going.

Byron

Gerry Romer
02-08-2008, 05:27 PM
Might be worth throwing the idea Joe's way. I think they already moved it once, didn't they? I seem to recall the first two were the first weekend in June. I know I had to miss the second year because I had to attend a wedding out of state that year and the wedding was on June 4th.

Probably April 1st would be too early for them but there might be another date. Besides, if it were tied into another event that's designed to grow into something much bigger it would only benefit them.

$.02

Gerry

Rog 1
02-08-2008, 05:41 PM
Byron....I began fishing in the park when I was 13....that was almost 48 years ago....my recollection was that the season ran from April 15 through Spetember 15....cannot remember when they went to a year around season but when they did I was able to enjoy some of the first cool weather while camping in early Oct....it seems to me that the season coincided with the spawning times of the rainbows and brookies...no browns back then...they were still stocking the park back then with a hatchery at the Chimney's campground...before it bacame just a picnic area....I will check tonight since I have kept most of the licenses I purchased once I got old enough to have one....a kindler, gentler time for sure.

Byron Begley
02-08-2008, 05:53 PM
Rog1,

That was a kindler gentler time for sure. Daniel reminded me of this today. Walter Babb said that in the old days fishermen didn't know what a Quill Gordon was. They hatched before the season opened so anglers didn't see them. Steve Moore told me this morning the season in the Park changed to year round in 1983 except for Abrams Creek. He opened the season to year round there in 1986.

Byron

Rog 1
02-08-2008, 06:05 PM
Byron....my grandfather who fished in the Park before it was a park and until he was 82 initially had only one basic fly in his vest....a ginger quill....he told me that in the very old days these flies were fished in tandem as wet flies...when I asked him how they came to use this particular fly his answer was because it worked....my high school friend briefly got into entomology and after dredging up the streams for samples of underwater life he was able to ID the most common nymph and as you might guess the book gave the corresponding fly as being a ginger quill....guess you cannot argue with success.

sammcdonald
02-09-2008, 08:42 PM
i think we ought to do it on ground hog day...if the trout see's our shadow, we get 6 more weeks of hard fishing weather

Gerry Romer
02-09-2008, 09:31 PM
well that wouldn't work 'cause nobody would show up as a way of guaranteeing 6 weeks of easy winter fishing... but I like the way you think!

sammcdonald
02-09-2008, 09:38 PM
well, consider it...instead of punx...phil ///we use townsend timmy...the forecasting trout

Gerry Romer
02-09-2008, 09:49 PM
or how 'bout a mated pair... timmy and trudy trout.

Byron Begley
02-15-2008, 12:53 PM
I had an interesting conversation with Herb Handley this morning. Herb is in charge of Tourism and Travel for our county. We have become good friends. I can step out of the shop and yell and he will almost hear me. Our offices are close to each other. Though I'm taking the week off I go in to the shop every morning to write the fishing report. Herb called early and wanted to drop by to talk. We started talking about "Opening Day". As our conversation progressed we strayed away from fly fishing and started talking about "Opening Day" for Townsend. It would be a celebration of Spring. I am Chair for Tourism and Travel for the Blount County Chamber and Partnership so I need to look for all opportunities from a business point of view. We agreed to work on an "Opening Day" celebration in Townsend. The Anglers would meet at one location, the hikers at another. The history buffs would gather somewhere else. But one thing we agreed on, it would be a party in the Spring. We spend several hundred thousand dollars on advertising. And we are always looking for new ways to keep our motels and businesses thriving. I'm going to work with him on "Opening Day" in one form or another. Look for it in 2009. Reply here or send me an e-mail. Thanks.

Byron

buzzmcmanus
02-15-2008, 01:47 PM
I can see it now... A bunch of flyfishermen standing in a group with the fly rods in one hand, wearing waders and fly vests. A group of hikers in their boots wearing their Coolmax shirts, hippacks with water bottles. Another group with history buffs, wearing their spectacles, smoking pipes. And the last group...a bunch of tubers in their flipflops, tubes around their wastes, floaties on their arms, standing around a big cooler of beer.
I don't care who you are, that there is funny.
I hope none of the tubers takes this the wrong way. If so, I appologize. I would probably be in the group around the cooler of beer anyhows.

Byron Begley
02-15-2008, 05:54 PM
Buzz,

We are thinking about April. Tubing season opens in June. :smile:

Byron