PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Book?

Jubal
02-13-2008, 08:58 PM
What's your favorite book about fly fishing? And I don't really mean a "how to" book, just an all around great book, either a great read or one with awesome pics and insight.

One I've been looking at for a while to buy is "Trout Bum". Anybody read it? My local shop has some autographed copies.

thanks.

rainBBow
02-13-2008, 10:26 PM
Not a how to but excellent read about fly fishing and our quircks with vivid mind pictures and countless laughs would be any of James Baabs books.Very tough to put down once you start, with an occasional mention of local folks and places.

Byron Begley
02-13-2008, 10:50 PM
This is a great thread. There has been more written about fly fishing than any other sport. I have heard that for 30 years. Trout Bum is a must read. I think I own everything John has written. Anything by Jim Babb is a must read too. Both John and Jim were down here fishing in Tellico last year. Jim is Walter Babb's brother who works with us. My all time favorite is Trout Tactics by Joe Humphreys. It is a complete understanding of trout fishing. Through Joe's words you get a perspective like you have never read before. I have an old worn out copy that stayed in my truck for years. One time when he was down here he signed it for me.

Byron

doghaircaddis
02-13-2008, 11:03 PM
This is a great thread. There has been more written about fly fishing than any other sport. I have heard that for 30 years. Trout Bum is a must read. I think I own everything John has written. Anything by Jim Babb is a must read too. Both John and Jim were down here fishing in Tellico last year. Jim is Walter Babb's brother who works with us. My all time favorite is Trout Tactics by Joe Humphreys. It is a complete understanding of trout fishing. Through Joe's words you get a perspective like you have never read before. I have an old worn out copy that stayed in my truck for years. One time when he was down here he signed it for me.

Byron

Geirach was fishing in Tellico?

onthefly
02-13-2008, 11:15 PM
I think I've read most of John Gierachs books including, " Trout Bum " and have enjoyed them all. John Galligan has two mysteries " The Blood Knot " and " The Nail Knot ". I thought both were well done, successfully incorporating crime fiction with fly fishing.

doghaircaddis
02-14-2008, 12:17 AM
Trout Bum is as good as any to buy. I read Geirach's books over and over.

This may seem a little out of place here.... I have a "how to" book called Fly Fishing the Rocky Mountain Backcountry by Rich Ostoff that I got last year from a used book store. I can't recommend this to everyone, but if you have a thing for the Rockies and really long hikes for unspoiled fishing are your type of thing, I highly recommend it.

ruggerfly
02-14-2008, 11:13 AM
My favorite is probably America's 100 Best Trout Streams published by Trout Unlimited. It just gets me dreaming about the endless possiblities and new destinations for a trip!

sammcdonald
02-14-2008, 11:57 AM
not totally fly fishing, but a lot of it was....anything by ed zern.

Rog 1
02-14-2008, 12:15 PM
While not a fishing book this one is full of laughs and those of us who have done any backcountry hiking in the Park can appreciate...Bill Bryson's "A Walk in the Woods"....Robert Redford has bought up the rights and is going to make the movie and star in it.....want to see him on the AT making that climb up to Clingman's Dome....

tennswede
02-14-2008, 12:35 PM
Fishing The Wet Fly by Pete Hidy a recollection of Jim Leisenrings's stories.

adirondack46r
02-14-2008, 12:40 PM
I also love Trout Bum, even though I'm not fond of most of the other books by John Gierach. But one of my recent favorites is A Fly Fisherman's Blue Ridge by Christopher Camuto. His writing is absolutely fabulous.

A recent publication that I also really like is Trout Hunter by Rene Harrop. It is not really a how-to, and not really a muse, but it has some great information and some great writing. If you have fished the Henry's Fork it will have a special meaning to you.

Byron Begley
02-14-2008, 12:42 PM
Doghaircaddis,

John and Jim Babb were here in May. They fished with Walter and stayed at his cabin near Green Cove. I got an e-mail from Jim a couple of days ago. He told me about upcoming articles about the trip. You can read about Tellico Pubs by Gierach in the April Fly Rod and Reel Magazine. Jim wrote about the trip and it will appear in the May edition of Grays Sporting Journal. Jim is the editor of Grays. Jim advised me to stock up on Specks and Tellico nymphs.

Byron

T-Mac
02-14-2008, 12:54 PM
Good books to read

Travers Corners
Return to Travers Corners
Travers Corners Final Chapter (All by Scott Waldie)
Big Indian Creek (Dave Hughes)
Trout from Small Streams (Dave Hughes)
Fly Fishing Small Streams (Gierach)
A Wisp in the Wind (Jerry Kustich)
Casting a Spell (George Black)
At the Rivers Edge (Jerry Kustich)
Royal Coachman (Paul Schullery)
Fly Fisherman's Blue Ridge (Chris Camuto)
Hunting from Home (Chris Camuto)

Backcountry fisherpeople will really like Big Indian Creek and Fly Fisherman's Blue Ridge.
Bamboo people will really like A Wisp in the Wind and Casting a Spell
Travers Corners is light reading about flyfishing with great characters and an interesting story line.
Hunting from home is really not about hunting but a book about a way of life in the outdoors by a fantastic author.
Flyfishing small streams is a very informative book written in Gierach style that translates well to the Smokies

Enjoy

FredEx
02-14-2008, 01:10 PM
I would add to the many great titles already listed the following....

"Upland Stream: Notes On The Fishing Passion" by W. D. Wetherell
"The Longest Silence: A Life In Fishing" by Thomas McGuane
"Fly Fishing Through the Midlife Crisis" by Howell Raines

Brian Griffing
02-14-2008, 02:03 PM
Anything by Gierach is great. I keep a copy of Death, Taxes, and Leaky Waders next to the throne in the master bath. Its a compilation of stories from Trout Bum, Even Brook Trout Get the Blues, Standing in a River Waving a Stick, and others. Each story is worthy of being read several times, and they are just short enough that I can usually get up before my legs fall asleep.
As a kid in Montana, we had an old copy of Norman MacClean's A River Runs Though It And Other Stories on the shelf next to the fire place. I loved the title story, of course, but the other that sticks out in my memory is Logging, Pimping, and My Pal Jim. It's not about flyfishing, but it is the kind of story most flyfisherman like to read. It's got mountains, woods, rough characters, and a sense of humor.

ACinEastTN
02-14-2008, 04:19 PM
I will have to echo Brian on both counts. I love Gierach books and Tout Bum is a great starter. You can turn to any chapter and start reading. I was thinking while reading the earlier posts about the "Other Stories" that follow A River Runs Through It and how I associeate them with fly fishing stories. I love USFS 1919: The Ranger, The Cook, and the Hole in the Sky. A book that I recently finished is Our Southern Highlanders by Horace Kephart. It is strange to me to read a description of a place I know from 100 years ago. Any Thoughts?

This is a great topic. The next best thing to fishing is reading about it!!

Paula Begley
02-14-2008, 06:12 PM
I love Gierach and Babb also...anything and everything they write.

Howell Raines' book, Flyfishing Through a Midlife Crisis, is great.

I'll add one, from a different perspective. Little Rivers, by Margot Page. Yes, she's a woman, but this is skillfully written. From the forward by Nick Lyons:

Little Rivers chronicles a woman's evolution from reluctant student to passionate angler and her adoption of this traditionally male sport as her own. But it is also much more than that.It's a lovely little book with a lot of insight about the beauty of this sport we love.

Paula

tennswede
02-14-2008, 09:09 PM
can't help but pitch in with another one: Joe and Me by James Prosek

Jubal
02-14-2008, 11:25 PM
Thanks for all the responses, never thought this topic would take off so fast. I may pick up the Trout Bum tomorrow if I get time to stop by the local fly shop.

Keep em comin! I'll compile myself a list!

....how about something geared straight towards small mouth fishing? I know most folks here chase trout mostly as do I but I love them smallmouth My local shop has that Clouser book about smallmouths autographed as well.

gjbu
02-15-2008, 12:38 AM
Early Love and Brook Trout by James Prosek is another good one. I like all of Gierach's books and loved the Travers Corner books. Recently reading some of William G. Tapply's books. Also working on The Longest Silence. For laugh out loud Patrick Mcmanus is a must!

milligan trout degree
02-15-2008, 01:43 AM
Gierach's "Standing in a River Waving a Stick" is my favorite of his, but you really can't go wrong with his books. They're not a complicated read, but he knows his stuff, and he knows why he enjoys fly fishing. He also knows how to write about it in a way that would make you kill to get on the river while reading his essays.

"A River Runs Through it" is good read too. It's a shorter book, which can be knocked out in a day if you choose to spend the time on it. Its purist fly fishing to the core, this book makes more of comment on life in general than just simply fly fishing.

"The Old Man and the Sea" by Hemmingway isn't about fly fishing, but its one of my favorite books of any genre. I read this book once or twice every summer, and definately when I'm at the beach. It's only 90 pages, and I highly recommend everyone to read it.

I'm about to start "A Pale Morning Dun" by Jeff Hull. I'll let you know how it is.

ttas67
02-15-2008, 07:30 AM
"a good life wasted" by dave ames is without a doubt the most entertaining fly fishing book I've read.

obviously trout bum. "joe and me" is also an excellent read.

a good how to book is "instinctive fly fishing"

lauxier
02-15-2008, 10:41 AM
middleton's spine book is great,hemingway's "Big 2 hearted river "is good-trout bum is a good one-a little book called"foggy mountain breakdown"by Dweller(out of print I think) is agreat book that was ignored--fishing boy grows up to be a messed up man--all in the Smokies--lots of truths."Pale morning dun" is kind of ok--We have been "A River Runs Through It" to death-but it is a good story,distorted somewhat by Redford's excellent movie.

buzzmcmanus
02-15-2008, 12:23 PM
If I ever give anyone here some advise, you are taking advise from someone who really enjoys reading Patrick McManus. If you can't laugh at his adventures, you've got a lousy sense of humor.

No, he is not a relative, however my brother's name is Patrick. My brother has never even picked up a fish pole.

Sweepercts
02-15-2008, 12:43 PM
Hello,

I often read this message board but have never posted. I actually fired off a message in reply to one of this weeks fishing reports where Byron talked about fishing at Gates Lodge here on the AuSable. I saw the thread about books today and just had to add my two cents.

Don't forget the Michigan contingent and or the Michigan connection. Hemingway was mentioned. However, we have a wealth of great fishing/outdoor writers who are either from here or have a Michigan connection.

Jerry Dennis
Jim Harrison
Thomas McGuane
Robert Traver (John Voelker)
Nick Lyons
Bob Linsenman

These are the guys that I can think of just off the top of my head. There are many more out there and you can't go wrong by opening one of their books.

Chuck

jeffnles1
02-15-2008, 02:42 PM
Trout Bum, and most of Gierach's books are some of the most subversive things you're going to read. After finishing one of his books, I have serious thoughts about quitting my job, loading my stuff in the back of an old pickup truck and heading out to fish (forever) leaving my job and desk just a distant and very bad memory. The other side of the coin is I have a 13 year old son that will have college expenses and a wife that I'm rather fond of. I believe if I chucked my job and went fishing my loving wife would, rightly so, have a few less than positive things to say about the situation.

However, John's books are very good. I'm about 75 pages into "A good life wasted" right now. It is entertaining so far with a pretty eclectic cast of charactors. I don't think it's as well written as the Gierach books but it is entertaining and a fast read.

Jeff

Hal M
02-15-2008, 05:43 PM
One of my favorite books is Hunting and Fishing in the Great Smokies by Jim Gasque. It is now out of print, I think , but Jim Casada who was raised in Bryson City had some copies for sale. You might find one at an old book store. While not totally about flyfishing it gives some good insight into the people of the Smokies, especially Mark Cathey, who is known for the dance of the fly. I think you will enjoy this book

Hal

Stonefly
02-15-2008, 06:52 PM
I went through a period of about twenty years where I read nothing but fishing books. I've read a lot, most of what's been listed. One name I don't see mentioned is Steve Raymond. I don't think the fact that he's kind of my dyslexic name-sake influences me. His books pretty much all have a west coast/steelhead bent, which intrigues me though I've never done it. Year of the Angler and Year of the Trout are a couple of good ones. His Blue Upright is on the shelf, ready to read next.

I'm another a huge Gierach fan, and like Dave Hughes too.

sb

Plunker
02-15-2008, 09:57 PM
Especially theThe Nick Adams Stories.... "Big Two Hearted River" and others...The whole collection is good.

Just discovered Harry Middleton...fantastic!

I look forward to adding to the library with many of the books listed in earlier posts.

Great Thread!!!!!!!!!!

dalerio
02-16-2008, 01:32 AM
IDIOT'S guide to Fly Fishing........

laugh if you will but starting from scratch with no internet or no one to teach you and you do what you have to.

monktrout
02-16-2008, 12:58 PM
Sylvester Nemes' Soft Hackle trilogy for the SH crowd. The River Why? Dark Waters by Russell Chatam-excellent. Jim Harrisons' A Good Day to Die-funny and dark. Dave Hughes' Wet Flies. Old Man and the Sea, because I'm getting old and the book is so great.

Plunker
02-18-2008, 12:33 AM
--We have been "A River Runs Through It" to death-but it is a good story,distorted somewhat by Redford's excellent movie.

Lauxier, I agree with you totally..."The Book" is a great Story the Movie WAS excellent...and I get aggrevated each and every time I see proponents of Fly-Fishing on other boards, and in print, gripe about what it did to this sport. I think most would be better served by examining what it has done for this sport...
I freely admit that I didn't grow up flyfishing...not too many trout in South Alabama in the 70's and 80's or Fly Rods for that matter...and yes I will admit being all caught up in the Movie and then the book, and yes..then the sport.
But the important part is that involvement in the sport came to me, and it has enriched my life through it's process, practice, mystique, and tradition.
Many who crtiticize the Movie, are the same people who complain that our children are too caught up in video games, and that the industry has suffered of late from lack of interest...yes there were people who got caught up in the esoteric aspect of FlyFishing and showed up on the streams and rivers outfitted in their finest Orvis gear, with backcasts more suited to the bull whip than the flyrod...never to step in the water again. But look what it did for the people who stuck with it...yep that's me:redface:.
The cast is still not beautiful, and I may be embarrassed about it in the prescence of others...but the last trout I caught with it was every bit as exciting as the first, as will be the next...should there never be another...there was always the river.

I, for one, am glad that life imitates art sometimes.

fishNlady
02-18-2008, 10:20 AM
I am SO glad you all got this thread going. As a newcomer to fly fishing, I am tickled to death to have all these wonderful suggestions of books related to this awesome sport. I have ordered "On the Spine of Time" and plan to get several more as I go along. I'm looking forward to reading it and many many more.

BTW.. I have never read the book "A River Runs Though it" nor have I seen the movie. So it is ALL brand new to me. ;)

Jubal
02-18-2008, 10:40 AM
I am SO glad you all got this thread going. As a newcomer to fly fishing, I am ticked to death to have all these wonderful suggestions of books related to this awesome sport. I have ordered "On the Spine of Time" and plan to get several more as I go along. I'm looking forward to reading it and many many more.

BTW.. I have never read the book "A River Runs Though it" nor have I seen the movie. So it is ALL brand new to me. ;)

you owe it to yourself to watch the movie at least...it's a great film IMO. Not all about fishing...more to the story line...but it really is a good movie.

fishNlady
02-18-2008, 10:44 AM
I plan to order the DVD soon. I have heard about this movie before but just never took the time to watch. Now I will make time.

Plunker
02-18-2008, 12:24 PM
Sorry to tell you...but "River Runs Thru" was just on Turner Classic Movies TCM last night. That is actually what got me so fired up to rant about it in my last post. I love the movie, my wife does too (though I suspect it's for TOTALLY different reasons...Brad Pitt and all:eek: )
I do however feel compelled to warn you that it has a rather sad aspect...chokes me up every time...who says men aren't sensitive and romantic?:biggrin:

As to "On the Spine of Time"...I think you'll love it, I just discovered it myself from hearing about it here. Check out some of the other threads about Middleton posted by Monk, Laux, myself, and others they will provide an interesting perspective on Middleton that greatly enhances the read....GREAT book! The first chapter is a little heady, but after you get past that it reads like water gently running down the mountain side...I look forward to your opinions...enjoy!

jwebb541
02-19-2008, 03:51 AM
Middleton's --- Spine of Time
Kephart's--- Our Southern Highlanders
The second is not so much fly fishing but a great read in understanding the heritage.

adirondack46r
02-19-2008, 09:40 AM
Great thread...

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that great fishing classic, the Gospel of John. In chapter 21 the boys are bummin' because their buddy is not hanging out with them anymore, so Peter says, "I don't know about you guys, but hey, I'm going fishing". They all jump in the boat and before you know it their fishing buddy is on the shore cooking them breakfast and there are 153 fish in their net! Then they just hang out around the fire talking about old times. What a day!

... my personal favorite.

ccmmcc
02-19-2008, 09:58 AM
In addition to the many fine books already listed I would add anything by Joseph Heywood. He wrote a series of fiction books that are based in the UP of Michigan. Not alot of philosophy going on, just some fun reading with fishing, hunting, etc.

Rog 1
02-19-2008, 11:01 AM
Can't remember if this one has been mentioned....not a fishing book per se...but for anyone that frequents and fishes the waters of the Little River try "The Last Train to Elkmont"...this tells the story of the lumber company that cut this side of the mountains....some amazing information about Tremont and Elkmont in here and how far back into these mountains people lived....those of you who fish above the Cascades of Tremont probably know about the last vestages of a splash dam in the river....reading about how these dams were made and used will give you some appreciation of what was once done on this waterway....

Green Weenie
02-19-2008, 11:48 AM
I recently picked up a little paperback at a book sale called "The Curtis Creek Manifesto". It has a great deal of drawings in it, which is more my speed.

lauxier
02-19-2008, 12:37 PM
the guy who owned sage rod co. said " the evolution of fly fishing falls into 2 distinct periods--before "a river runs.... and after "a river runs..."the movie.The movie accomplished it's mission---Redford made a lot of bucks--the movie charged an ailing industry--sales of tackle and clothing etc went throught the roof---streams were jammed with Orvis poster boys for a day or two--(exactly as Plunker wrote)---wwhen the smoke cleared--the streams still flow as before---folks who fly fish do it cause they like it,99% of those who were drawn to streams because of the pathos of a film are no longer fishing because 1)the pathos passes2)fly fishing is hard to learn and extremely complicated in the beginning.The fly fishing industry got a real boost,the added revenues tempted the industry into research and development,the sport could afford to become high-tech with vast improvments to everything from waders to rods to zingers to reels to videos on and on.That's what Redford and his film did for flyfishing and for fly fishing folks---So watch the movie--it is a dandy---and when the final credits flash before you,be advised the power of imagry is awesome and the sport of flyfishing has been bettered by it.

lauxier
02-19-2008, 01:04 PM
Fishing metcalfe bottoms with grandson---not far from the bridge---2 girls stop on the bridge to watch us fish----my grandson says"watch this"watch me Brad Pitt these chicks"----wades to center of stream----makes about 10 false casts,with drama,finally lets dry fly land on water---pulls it out of water again---10 more false casts--it was just about more than I could take--realized the long term effects of "a river runs.."are indeed many---in conclusion---Boy sees movie,boy uses movie to try to pick up chicks--grandfather is appalled and amuzed----

Sweepercts
02-19-2008, 01:25 PM
ccmmcc brings up a good point.

Joseph Haywood also did a book called Snow Fly that got very good reviews (I didn't read that one). He also did a book called Covered Waters (I did read) a good book about his obsession with fishing among other things. I have not read the Woods Cop series but heard it is good as well.

Michael Delp is another Michigan guy who is skilled with poetry and essay. He has contributed to TCS before and it looks like we will be spotlighting him in the upcoming issue.

I also wanted to mention a buddy of Byron's; Rusty Gates did Seasons on the AuSable for opening day 2007. It is a chronicle of each month of the season on that great rive and what it takes to catch trout during that time.

Chuck

(http://www.thecedarsweeper.com)

JimmyC
02-19-2008, 03:06 PM
Got lucky and found John Holt's "Knee Deep in Montana's Trout Streams" at McKay's Used Books. Such a fun read! It's like Gierach telling you "where" to fish. He's holds an affinity for Bull Trout, but also plays the cutthroat and rainbow game. But I agree with everyone, anything Gierach is priceless. Trout Bum and At the Grave of the Unknown Fisherman are my faves.

jeffnles1
02-19-2008, 03:32 PM
Boy sees movie,boy uses movie to try to pick up chicks--grandfather is appalled and amuzed----

My mom just bought the movie and wants my son and I to come over to their house this spring and watch it with them (Mom and dad spend winters in Florida).

That is all I need, my 13 year old son using fly fishing to pick up chicks.

Come to think of it, that's the main reason I learned to play guitar.

Oh well, on to another thought.

Jeff

Rockyraccoon
02-19-2008, 03:32 PM
I'm a huge fan of Dave Ames.

As mentioned, "A Good Life Wasted" is a great and very entertaining read. I've read it several times over the past five years, and in another day or two will finish it.....again.

Dave's other books are also very good.

His first book "True Love and the Woolly Bugger" was very entertaining. I believe I'll read it again once I finish A. G. L. W. again.

Dave's latest book is "Dances with Sharks". I've only finished one chapter of it and it's apparent that it will fit in nicely with his previous style, humor, and lessons.

For the how to and when to aspect of fly fishing, it's hard to beat the legends....

Folks like Lafontaine, Richards, and Whitlock have written wonderful books about the bugs we imitate, with so much information in them that they could be used as class books for college courses.

Plunker
02-19-2008, 04:40 PM
:p Boy sees movie,boy uses movie to try to pick up chicks--grandfather is appalled and amuzed----

That's the funniest thing I've ever heard.... I wanna go fishin with that Kid! Primarily so I can catch the the fish he spent 10 minutes false casting over:biggrin:

Speaking of the movie...last year Big Sky journal did a story about ol' Norm, and printed a picture of his father in the story... the casting director for Redford was a Genious...Tom Skerrit is the man re-incarnated!!!

Vern
02-19-2008, 09:29 PM
I have a coworker that I am trying to teach flyfishing to. He came in this morning all excited about watching "A River runs through It" "man can you teach me that Shadow Casting(False Casting) that looks really cool!" I broke his heart when I told him that I try to never false cast unless I really need to. He understood after I explained to him how it can spook the fish. But I could tell his heart was set on looking like Brad Pitt. Then I had to remind him that he was a 40yr old short heavy set man like me (47) and no amount of false casting would make us look like Pitt.

Sweepercts
02-20-2008, 05:29 PM
I hate to see this post end. I thought I would throw out what I have on my bookshelf and see what happens.

Thomas McGuane - The Sporting club, 92 in the Shade, The Longest Silence, Nothing but blue skies.

Jim Harrison - Just Before Dark, True North, The Road Home

Robert Traver - Anatomy of a Murder, Trout Madness

Hemingway - The Nick Adams Stories

Charles Gaines - The Next Valley Over (a southern writer)

Jerry Dennis - The Living Great Lakes, From a Wooden Canoe

Anthology - Michigan Seasons

Geirach- Standing in a River Waving a Stick, Death, Taxes, and Leaky Waders.

I hate to see this end because I have written down the names of all the books and authors that I am not familiar with for future reference.

Chuck

Jubal
02-20-2008, 10:20 PM
I hate to see this post end. I thought I would throw out what I have on my bookshelf and see what happens.

Thomas McGuane - The Sporting club, 92 in the Shade, The Longest Silence, Nothing but blue skies.

Jim Harrison - Just Before Dark, True North, The Road Home

Robert Traver - Anatomy of a Murder, Trout Madness

Hemingway - The Nick Adams Stories

Charles Gaines - The Next Valley Over (a southern writer)

Jerry Dennis - The Living Great Lakes, From a Wooden Canoe

Anthology - Michigan Seasons

Geirach- Standing in a River Waving a Stick, Death, Taxes, and Leaky Waders.

I hate to see this end because I have written down the names of all the books and authors that I am not familiar with for future reference.

Chuck

I'm right there with ya, I've been researching most of this books and then some to find a good one to pick up I haven't seen before.

Thanks for keeping it rolling. Surely we haven't mentioned them all yet.

I also want to make sure adirondack46r's post doesn't go without my saying...THANKS FOR REMINDING US ALL! Knowing Jesus was a fisherman and a fishermen of "men" then we all should be blessed to enjoy this privilege.

fishNlady
02-25-2008, 10:43 AM
Well after the last few days of dealing with the flu..I managed to utilize the time lying around by reading and watching movies. One of which was "A River Runs Through It" (finally) It was a wonderful story. I see what you all mean now. I also read "On The Spine of Time" by Harry Middleton.

That was probably the best book I have read in quite awhile. It was so visual. I was with him every step of the way. It made me feel like I really WAS there in the flesh. Probably because it was written about places I have seen around here so often. Middleton's writing is very much like the mountain streams he writes about. It draws you in and then carries you right along with its flow. I read it in 2 days. Just could not put it down!

For those who have read his other works is this one the best of them or is there another that you woud recommend that is as good as "Spine"?

donwinn
02-25-2008, 04:14 PM
fishNlady,

His first book,"The Earth is Enough" is a great book as well. It will give you some insight into the things that shaped Middleton's life. Many people do not like "The Bright Country". I read it, but it deals with his struggles with depression. Enjoy!

Sweepercts
02-25-2008, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the posts on Middleton. I will be checking that out for sure.

I forgot a couple of authors and titles that I wanted to throw out there.

Tom Carney is a local guy, I think that he is still writing for the Alpena News. He was a mentor of mine early on; very kind with his knowledge and sharing. I have Bird Dogs and Betty Cakes on my shelf. He also did Sun Drenched Days and Two Blanket Nights. These are both great reads, especially if you are fond of bird dogs.

On the subject of Dogs and informational writing; don't over look Tom Huggler. He has done a lot on dogs, bird hunting, and fishing. He has a great series of "Fish Michigan" books.

I also wanted to throw James Prosek out there. I have Early Love and Brook Trout on my shelf. He also has some other titles that are worth checking out. His writing style does reflect his Yale, literary background.

Chuck

flyman
02-27-2008, 12:26 AM
Lots of great books:smile: My favorite is "A River Never Sleeps" by Roderick Haig-Brown. I have read it a dozen times thru the years, and it never gets old. One of my favorite quotes from the book is "I still don't know why I fish or why other men fish, except that we like it and it makes us think and feel" RHB. Beautifully written in a type and style of prose that is lost on most modern writters, it's truly a classic:smile:

Norman Mclean's also wrote a book called "Young Men and Fire" about the Mann Gulch fire (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mann_Gulch_fire). It shows another side of his ability to tell a story with words.

TroutDude
03-06-2008, 04:46 PM
Having recently received a hardback edition of On The Spine Of Time for my library, I wonder who you think are some of the up and coming authors?

Dude

currently reading The River Why? ... picked up in a second hand bookstore.

Sweepercts
03-11-2008, 10:32 AM
TroutDude,

I am not sure that you can really find an up and coming fishing writers. It seems like you have to kind of linger around the back pages of magazines and build a name first. Then the editors will take your fishing writing seriously and publish it. By the time you publish a fishing book you are pretty old. If you set out to only publish fishing you need to have built your name through magazine or other fiction/non-fiction.

Jerry Dennis is pretty young yet. James Proseck is really young but he seems more interested in art than writing. Those would be the two that come to mind.

Chuck

Hawgdaddy
03-11-2008, 11:45 AM
I don't remember seeing it mentioned, although it would be easy to miss in the six pages of this thread. Fishless Days, Angling Nights by Sparse Grey Hackle is a great older fly fishing book. Parts had me nearly choking with laughter while other parts were in turn historically interesting, mournful, touching or just plain witty. Highly recommended. I also recommend any of John Voelker's fly fishing books. And as many have said, it's tough to beat Gierach's work. Take care,

hawgdaddy

bamafisherlady
03-11-2008, 08:53 PM
100 Best Trout Streams in America. I've had it awhile and am reading thru it again. Some of the places all over the US, I have been to or very near, but we were on vacations or whatever and didn't have the "time" to fish. How pathetic. Here 40 years later, I still remember wishing I could have fished there. One place that stand out in my mind was the dam in Page, Az. You could ... oh well, never mind...this thread is about books. Well one day, using that book, I am going to go to every single place I can and fish it. I mean it!!

If any one wants, I'll finish that statement later.

Today my goal is to do nothing...maybe that way I 'll get something done!

Sweepercts
03-11-2008, 08:58 PM
Bamafisherlady,

Actually I have a book about the trout streams right here in Michigan. I pull it out a couple of times a year and say, .... "I am going to fish here this year and here and here ......." I am lucky to get to even fish one of those places every year.

Your post made me laugh because I can't even get to all the places in my home state. I have been to a few different places across the country and on other continents as well that I wish I had fished. Utah and Luxembourg for German Browns come to mind directly.

Oh well, guess you have to take the fishing where you can get it.

Chuck

bamafisherlady
03-11-2008, 10:46 PM
Sweepercts,

My uncle lives in Michigan and he wants me to come up there and fish it with him. He swears it's great trout fishing, and I am sure it is. Right now though, I have had to move to Chattanooga, TN and have my hands full taking care of two elderly parents, who are not doing real well. So, I just read through the book and dream, and do a little vicarious fishing. I have only been able to get away two times this past year and fish (the Hiwassee is about an hour from here). But one day, when I retire or win some money, I'm renting/buying a big old RV and go to cross country to as many of those 100 streams I can get to. Don't laugh, I really AM!

Grumpy
03-12-2008, 08:08 AM
:eek: i can't believe i read through 6 pages to see The Earth Is Enough, normally it's rated in the TOP 10 for "must reads".
B!+CH Creek by William Tappley has a lil murder & fishing theme to it, Zipping My Fly was very humorous(dry) for me & for the Travers Corner fans, the first book is out of print, which is a must read before you read the last two.
Another out of print book that i enjoyed was Rocky Mountain Warden. & what about Sparse Grey Hackle's books?

Grumpy

jeffnles1
03-12-2008, 12:17 PM
I'm about 75 pages into "A good life wasted" right now. It is entertaining so far with a pretty eclectic cast of charactors. I don't think it's as well written as the Gierach books but it is entertaining and a fast read.

OK, I just finished the book last night. All-in-all, it was an entertaining read. Be cautioned, there are a few pretty "racy" nearly explicit pages in the book that didn't bother me as an adult one bit, but it's not something I would want my son to read. Of course, I'm sure, at 13, he's heard worse at school and on the internet, but still, the last couple chapters added little to the story other than to wrap up a few loose ends and it would have been just as enjoyable without the more graphic descriptions of his exploits.

Again, enjoyable easy fast read. Just be warned there are a couple pages that will get your attention.

Jeff

Grumpy
03-13-2008, 08:10 AM
OK, I just finished the book last night. All-in-all, it was an entertaining read. Be cautioned, there are a few pretty "racy" nearly explicit pages in the book that didn't bother me as an adult one bit, but it's not something I would want my son to read. Of course, I'm sure, at 13, he's heard worse at school and on the internet, but still, the last couple chapters added little to the story other than to wrap up a few loose ends and it would have been just as enjoyable without the more graphic descriptions of his exploits.

Again, enjoyable easy fast read. Just be warned there are a couple pages that will get your attention.

Jeff

I bought his first book True Love & A Wooly Bugger simply for the vivacious redhead on the cover, my wife asked if i was going to read it or frame the cover:eek: it was hardback then with a full page cover, If you haven't read it, DO, the title of the book is a story which i highly recommend reading.

Grumpy

Speckleman5
03-13-2008, 11:39 PM
Our Southern Highlanders by Horace Kephart! A great Author, who had a large hand in creating what we love to retreat to.

Jim Casada
06-21-2009, 08:48 PM
Just perused this thread briefly, but as someone who has studied fly-fishing literature all my adult years and who owns about 15,000 outdoor books, here are a few thoughts. (1) Harry Middleton was a dear friend, and you'll find my name in the acknowledgements for "On the Spine of Time." It's a great read, but take it for what it is--fiction, not fact. (2) I didn't notice mention of Arnold Gingrich or Ernie Schweibert--both were a bit snobbish, but both could certainly write well. (3) Nick Lyons is a superb literary craftsman. (4) For great bedside reading, get some of the enduring antholgies such as those edited and compiled by Lyons, Goodspeed, Gingrich, and others. (5) For sheer literary flights of fancy, it is tough to beat some of the finest British angling writers. Jim Casada

JoeFred
06-21-2009, 09:20 PM
and it's not just because my wife gave it to me. It's of the coffee table top variety and all of 6" x 6"... The Little Book of Flyfishing by Tom Davis, Willow Creek Press.

MadisonBoats
06-21-2009, 09:39 PM
The River Why? - Supposed to be coming out as a movie this year too...

Flat Fly n
06-21-2009, 09:45 PM
Fishing Lessons.........Paul Quinnett

I have bought about 4 copies. I loaned out 3 past dozen or so years and never got them back. Finally wrote a curse about never catching another fish over 6' if you kept my book.

One of the funniest book I have ever read. Quick read on a plane, or waiting to get a colonoscopy. It will take your mind off impending doom, or boom depending on how you look at it, from different angles of course.

todd_grainger
06-22-2009, 12:31 AM
If we are talking favorite book on trout fishing I would have to put my 2 cents in for "On the Spine of Time" by Harry Middleton. Yes "instruction" books are helpful, but if we are talking just pure enjoyment, that would be it for me. You want to talk about a book that just gets you itching for some time in the mountains!!! My wife knows that when she sees me reading from it, that there will be a few days without me coming really soon. Plus, it is about all the places in the Smokies that I love to fish as well, and places that I have been.

silvercreek
06-22-2009, 07:40 AM
At this point in my time, the final paragraphs in "A River Runs Through I" are the most moving in any book I have read. Trout Bum and Still Life with Brook Trout by Gierach are my favorites. Anything by Nick Lyons is a good read.

MBB
06-22-2009, 08:05 AM
I am surprised that no one has mentioned Jim Dean. He has a couple of very good books out and he was editor of Wildlife in North Carolina back when it was an outstanding publication. I would certainly recommend his two books.

As others have said, I believe "A River Runs Through It" is an outstanding read. The movie is excellent; the book is better.

I bought a first edition of the "Spine of Time" back in 1991. It is an excellent book.

One of the first books I read as a boy on trout fishing was named "Trout Fishing" and was cowritten with Charlie Dickey. I read that book from cover to cover several times. It was one of the first books written about fishing in the Southern Appalachians.

Finally, I love Ed Zern and McManus. They have different styles, but both have a great comedic wit.

Ky Tim
06-22-2009, 10:52 AM
I like anything by Gierach, really love "on the Spine of Time" because of it's relationship to the mountains and streams that we all enjoy. I am re-reading "Fly Fishing Through the Midlife Crisis" right now. It seems to fit better since I recently turned 42 lol!

JoeFred
06-26-2009, 10:19 AM
One more to nominate (my very first book): "Presentation" by Gary A. Borger and drawings by son, Jason Borger, who btw, was the stand-in for the famous fly casting scene from "A River Runs Through It." A passage from the book in that regard in which Gary's describes a "Shadow Cast":
"This cast was Norman Maclean's poetic remembrance of his brother Paul's casting skills. When Norman's book 'A River Runs Through It' (1976), was made into a movie in 1991, Jason had to create a cast that would travel 'hard and low upstream, skimming the water with his fly but never letting it touch,' and 'creating an immensity of motion which culminated in nothing if you did not know, even if you could not see, that now somewhere out there a small fly was washing itself on a wave.' Jason used 60 to 65 feet of line, standing on the rock and throwing a hard, fast Galway back cast followed by a sweeping, arm extended, Climbing Hook forward cast. The result was a glorious motion of rod, line, caster, and river, capturing Norman's poetry and the sweeping expanse of Montana's big sky..."
Not only that, but the kid, who began casting at age 2, could flat out illustrate.

JoeFred

Jubal
06-28-2009, 09:18 PM
This has been a great thread, and great to see it revived by none other than an author himself...Jim Casada.

I made a short list of many books listed here about a year ago, did some other research and have been reading many of them. I also throw in a few hunting books as it's my main passion. But, trying to find a good hunting book that isn't "How-To" is very, very difficult.

If you care about deer hunting try on "Come November" by Gene Wensel. The dude is different fer sure, hunts a truly different land than these mountains, but it really is a good book. He lives and hunts in a land overflowing with big bucks...it'll only make you wanna move if you live and hunt deer in these hills.

MBB
06-29-2009, 04:33 PM
If you love to hunt, one of the books that I would recommend is by Havilah Babcock titled "My Health is Better in November." It is a book of great short stories and rich in the old tradition of quail hunting in South Carolina in the 1940s and 1950s. I read that book when I was about 11 or 12. I need to read it again. It is a classic.

shouldofbeenhereyesterday
06-29-2009, 06:50 PM
Harry Middleton's "On The Spine of Time" is one of the finest I've read. He loved not only the fly fishing in the Smokies but also the people and local history. This is a wonderful read. Middleton was truly in love with these mountains and what they offered. He had a remarkable gift of being able to put down on paper what others feel in their hearts and souls about this area. My wife, who is not a fishing person asked me one night what I was reading and I mentioned another of Middleton's books, The Earth is Enough. She read it next and said for the first time she understood what I've tried to convey unsuccessfully for years about what is so wonderful about this sport. We lost a great author when Middleton died in his 40's from a massive heart attack.

sam barbee
06-29-2009, 10:04 PM
"****, I Was There!" it is a true story written by Elmer Keithit is about his life growing up in montana before he became a big game hunter.

JoeFred
07-30-2009, 09:21 AM
For the cash strapped among us, what libraries in the Smoky Mountains region have a good collection of books on fishing in and around the park?

Jack
07-30-2009, 11:33 AM
I may be showing my age but how about "Minutes of the Lower Forty" by Corey Ford. I know most of his books are out of print and/or hard to find. I grew up reading all his articles in Field and Stream and I have several of his books. Always good for a laugh.

flynut
07-30-2009, 12:26 PM
I absolutely love Gierach. He's definitely a master wordsmith. Read anything by him and you will want nothing more than to pack up your gear and hit the water.
--
If you've read "Fly Fishing through the Midlife Crisis" by Howell Raines, you may also want to check out the sequel, "The One that Got Away."
--
On the topic of dogs and fly fishing, I strongly suggest "Home Waters" by Joseph Monninger. It is a fantastic story about a man who sets off on one last fishing trip with his best fishing partner, an aging golden retriever named Nellie. It will pull at your emotions like the biggest fish you've hooked.

out4trout
07-30-2009, 08:18 PM
I have enjoyed Geirach's books too. But another favorite is "A Good Life Wasted: or Twenty Years as a Fishing Guide" by Dave Ames. It's about the adventures/misadventures of being a flyfishing guide in Montana. Good book!

nvr2L8
07-30-2009, 09:09 PM
Just finished Fly Fishing Small Streams by Gierach. This one tended to be more instructional than narrative but enjoyed it thoroughly. It was published in 1989, possibly before he hit is stride as a storyteller. His later books by contrast seem to have hidden gems of instructions in the middle of great stories.

I'm sure somewhere in these 81 other posts, someone has mentioned this one but thought it was worth another shout.

JimmyC
07-30-2009, 09:28 PM
You have to read Gierach, no question. My favorite fly fisherman, Taylor Streit, has a GREAT book -- Instinctive Fly Fishing. No pictures, but a wonderful, if not insightful, read.

Treecatcher2
07-31-2009, 01:59 PM
I like The Earth is Enough also by Harry Middleton

Grannyknot
07-31-2009, 02:17 PM
FYI.....I just returned from McKays here in Knoxville. They had several different Gierach titles in the "personal outdoor experiences" section for, I think, $1.50 ea. They also had "Fly fishing though the midlife crisis" by Howell Raines.

I left them alone and opted for some of Carson Brewer's southern appalachian travel writing.

Grannyknot
06-01-2010, 02:56 PM
Thanks to Grouseman for some direction in finding this long lost thread.
In an attempt to keep it going, here are some books I have recently finished and would like to recommend:

Fishing Related-
"Spring Creek" - Nick Lyons
"On the Spine of Time" - Harry Middleton
"Fly Fisherman's Blue Ridge" - Christopher Camuto

Regional Books (Not fishing Related)-
"In the Shadow of Old Smoky" - C. Hodge Mathes
"Lost - a journal of search & rescue" - Dwight McCarter
"Place Names of the Smokies" - Allen Coggins. More of a quick reference book, but a great guide to the stories behind names like "Mellinger Death Ridge" & "Bone Valley".

Jim Casada
06-01-2010, 03:51 PM
Grannyknot--Here are some additions to your mention of regional books:
Jim Gasque's Hunting & Fishing in the Great Smokies (reprinted a year or two back--I wrote the Foreword. Gasque's chapter on Mark Cathey alone is worth the fare.
Michael Frome's Strangers in High Places. A must for those who love the Smokies.
Any of Sam Venable's books on the region.
If you are keenly interested in Hazel Creek, Duane Oliver's works.
All of John Parris's anthologies--great stories and easy reading.
All of Carson Brewer's books.
Wilma Dykeman's The French Broad.
Olive Tilford Dargan's From My Highest Hill.
Robert Mason's The Lure of the Smokies.
Any by Harvey Broome.
That's a mere start--there's an extensive bibliography with my book on the Park, although I bet not one reader in twenty-five pays much if any attention to it. However, for the serious student of the Smokies there's a lot of grist there for their mill.
My favorite of all outdoor books? No contest. I think Robert Ruark's The Old Man and the Boy is in a class by itself.
Jim Casada

Grannyknot
06-01-2010, 04:08 PM
Robert Mason's The Lure of the Smokies.

Jim, I have looked all over for a copy of this book without success. The only thing I can think is that maybe it has been out of print for several decades. Do you know if this is the case?

Another older book that will soon be too hard to find is "The Wild East" by Margaret Lynn Brown.

Jubal
06-01-2010, 06:10 PM
I've read a good number of these books since I started this thread, again, thanks to all and their input. I've discovered I'm a big fan of many, and at times what I like to read can vary. Middleton is some great stuff and his writings are obviously more of a novel where a good Gierach book is simply a series of essays, with most all of them worth the effort.

I just ordered "Fly Fisherman's Blue Ridge" and look forward to reading it this summer.

And, one would be worthless in this thread without a little "shout-out" to Casada and his new book. If you care any about the Smokies, which I know all of us do, it is also very worth the read. His passion and dedication to memory of such small details of each stream he mentions is amazing. Thanks Jim for putting it together.

Jim Casada
06-01-2010, 06:11 PM
Grannyknot--The Mason book was published many decades ago (I think 1927 is the date but that's from memory and may be off a bit). It is moderately rare (value in the $100 range). Brown's biography of the Park is much more recent (last decade or so) and shouldn't be too difficult to find. It is admirably researched and in my view the single most useful treatment of Park history. There are some glitches, as is inevitable in a book of its scope and depth, but I consider it a masterful work. She obviously spent a great deal of time in Park archives and I admire the fact that she doesn't hesitate to criticize the Park when criticism is merited. It is a fine piece of academic history, and as someone who labored in the vineyards of academe for a quarter of a century (and as a historian) I think I've got a decent grasp of such things. I don't know Dr. Brown personally although we have exchanged e-mails.
Jim Casada

pmike
06-01-2010, 06:12 PM
My current favorite is Mr. Cassada's, "Insider's Guide to a Pursuit of Passion". I especially like the peronal touch of his own experiences and historic references to others from the region.

On the Spine of Time, by Middleton is also a personal favorite and is also from whence I obtained my signature line :)

Last but not least the Traver's Corner series by Scott Waldie are the kind of books that are awfully hard to put down once ya pick them up!

Mike

rivergal
06-01-2010, 07:13 PM
Way off topic, I am reading Bring Em Back Alive-Frank Buck's adventures capturing wild animals, cobras ,and pythons.

fishndoc
06-01-2010, 07:35 PM
Due to a prolonged illness a while back, I spent way more time reading about fishing than fishing for several years, and for good or bad have read the majority of books and authors mentioned so far;

Gierach will always be my favorite, especially "The Fishing Car" story in his View from Rat Lake, and I also really like James Prosek (didn't he write a story about fishing in Townsend?), but if I had to pick just one book that really struck a chord, it would be Chris Camuto's "A Flyfisherman's Blue Ridge" (as much as I hate his politics)

Wayne

Jim Casada
06-01-2010, 08:45 PM
Rivergal--If you like Frank Buck, you need to read about Buffalo Jones and maybe some of the hair-raising accounts of Jim Corbett or J. H. Patterson--way off topic, to be sure, but still books and authors with an outdoor thrust. Jim Casada

sammcdonald
06-01-2010, 08:59 PM
margaret brown's excellent book, the wild east, is still available in the park stores. i met her at the 2009 wildflower pilgrimage (along with dan pierce and harvey broome)....she is also a contributor to the brown book ... the hiking bible for the park.

rivergal
06-02-2010, 06:33 AM
Jim-Thanks for the book suggestions-Corbett's Temple Tiger is next on my list
of armchair adventures.

Jim Casada
06-02-2010, 07:33 AM
Sam--I think the "hiking bible" for the Park which you mention refers to the GSMNA work on the subject. If you mean the one where there are a number of contributors, I would have to disagree. Certain sections of the book are full of errors. My brother is an avid and accomplished hiker and he keeps meticulous records, including GPS information, on his hikes. In the last two years he has walked virtually every mile of every trail in the Park. He says that on some trails the guide is so far off that he has to wonder whether the author for that section had ever been on the trail. If you want specifics I can get them from him, and its possible you have a different book in mind. However, I did want to mention the matter and, if nothing else, get clarification.
In my view there is no book on Park trails which even comes close to Ken Wise's Hiking Trails of the great Smoky Mountains National Park. It is, sadly, out of print, but some index to its merits is provided by the fact that copies sell in the $150-$200 range on the out-of-print market. He is well into a revised and updated version of the book and it is something every hiker and fisherman should keep an eye out for.
I thought I remembered seeing Brown's book in one of the visitor centers during a recent "browse," but I didn't want to say for certain. The book holds a cherished spot on my shelves. It wouldn't have been Harvey Broome you met in 2009. A Knoxville lawyer, he died way back in 1968. The Knoxville chapter of the Sierra Club is named for him, I believe, and his wife and some friends put together a posthumous book which honors him. The title, if memory serves, is Harvey Broome: Earth Man.
Jim Casada

old east tn boy
06-02-2010, 09:45 AM
"What Fly Fishing Teaches Us", a fly fishing photography book by Denver Bryan in the genre of coffee table texts. The publisher is Willow Creek Press dated 2006. A smallish book with beautiful pictures supported by a few lines of text to support the content in the photo, it can set one to day dreaming within the first dozen pages. I have only seen one, which I purchased, in an antique shop in Sweetwater.

knoxrod
06-02-2010, 08:48 PM
I am not seeing the love for Corey Ford and the Lower Forty Shooting, Angling and Inside Straight Club of Hardscrabble, USA as appeared in Field and Stream when I was a youth. I am fortunate enough to have a copy of his reprinted works issued by the Trustees of Dartmouth College in 1987. i believe Corey Ford died in 1969. Also, another favorite of mine while growing up was Robert Roark's Old Man and the Boy and its sequel.

sammcdonald
06-02-2010, 09:23 PM
jim, it was frome that i met,

BlueRaiderFan
06-02-2010, 10:02 PM
I really like "A Peach Tree in an Apple Orchard" Has me laughing whenever I read it.

adirondack46r
06-03-2010, 05:16 PM
Has anyone read the new Harry Middleton book recently published? I have read all of his others and wondered if there would ever be a collection of unpublished works.

Actually, I take that back - I have never read the Starlight Creek Angling Society. Have never been able to find a copy reasonably priced. But wait... here's one http://www.amazon.com/Starlight-Creek-Angling-Society/dp/B0006F0AWC

Jim Casada
06-06-2010, 11:23 AM
adirondack46r--Although I haven't read the new anthology of Middleton material edited by Ron Ellis, I'll offer a couple of thoughts. I'm pretty sure all the material in the anthology is of a published nature--his old columns for Southern Living, magazine articles, etc. I don't know that there would be enough unpublished material for a book, but what might be a possibility would be a collection of his letters. He was an avid and wonderfully expressive correspondent. I have a thick file of letters from him, I know he also corresponded regularly with Nick Lyons, and I suspect there are others with whom he exchanged letters and who had the foresight to save them. The new book is edited by Ron Ellis, and being familiar with his other efforts I have no doubt whatsoever it will be first-rate.
If you (or others) want to send me an e-mail address, I'll share a column I'll be writing for Sporting Classics on the new anthology and my friendship with Harry in advance of its appearance.
Interestingly enough, while in attendance at the Southeast Conclave of the FFF at Unicoi State Park this past weekend in Georgia, I had the pleasure of talking with a couple of fellows from the Birmingham area who were enchanted with Harry's literary endeavors. I read or encounter enough folks like them to tell me there is a small Middleton cult out there.
As for The Starlight Angling Society, it is extremely rare and cherished, and it's highly unlikely any copy will sell for a price south of four figures.
Finally, to return for a moment to the FFF Conclave, it was by all accounts the most successful in many years. I know my seminars were very well attended, those of Gary Borger drew the sort or response you would expect, and Anthony Hipp (FFF SE president) and those helping him did a grand job. The location was a great one, and the Conclave will be back in Helen the first Friday and Saturday in June next year. I'd recommend thinking about attending. I know I was most pleasantly surprised, and it was a far cry from the nature of things when I last attended and spoke to the group at Callaway Gardens several years ago.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com (http://www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com)

kflies
06-07-2010, 02:31 PM
Gierach's books are my favorites with Trout Bum, Rat Lake and Sex, Death and Flyfishing being way up there. Also anything by Nick Lyons....
Ted Leeson's The Habit of Rivers is also very good and if you can get by some of Schwiebert's stuffiness, his obsession with detail often paints vivid and beautiful pictures.

lauxier
06-09-2010, 05:41 PM
For me,Harry Middleton's "On the Spine of Time".I suppose Middleton had his share of problems,I think Jim Casada knew him,would be interested to know what Jim thought of him.Middleton was a great writer,maybe one of the best ever.

Owl
06-10-2010, 03:33 PM
I'll second anything by Nick Lyons.

Jim Casada
06-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Lauxier and Owl--I knew Harry Middleton quite well and in fact I'm working on a piece on him for Sporting Classics right now. Nick Lyons was a good friend of Harry's as well, and for Harry, as for so many others including yours truly, he has been a mentor, a helper, and a source of encouragement. He wrote the introductory material for my book on the Smokies and gave me some invaluable advice while it was being crafted. In addition to being a splendid writer, he is the quintessential gentleman.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com (http://www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com)
P. S. At some point maybe I'll do something on Harry for Byron's newsletter. I have a thick file of letters from him, and they read just as well as his splendid books.

Streamhound
06-11-2010, 11:19 AM
If you could use that correspondence to generate columns that would be really great!!!

flyfishsim
06-25-2010, 02:25 PM
I would second the recommendations of several here for the Travers Corners series by Scott Waldie. I'm also a fan of Gierach and Babb!

But one of my favorite books that I have read, and plan on rereading, is Pale Morning Done by Jeff Hull. He has established himself as a wonderful story teller, and the fly fishing in the story makes you want to hope in the car and point it toward Montana.

judgebw
07-14-2010, 08:32 PM
Has anyone read Dark Waters by Russell Chatham? It is a bit difficult to find and somewhat expensive. To a fly fisherman, that elusiveness is alluring!