PDA

View Full Version : tellico is on fire!

2weightfavorite
02-16-2008, 08:45 PM
Started out today about 9AM above Green Cove. Immidiately started catching fish on nymphs. It seemed every good looking run had fish, and what was even better every fish I caught was, or at least appeared to be, wild. Most of them were in that 6 to 9 inch range, with just absolutely terrific colors. Its kind of strange, but when people talk about Telllico they talk about the stocked fish or the delayed harvest, but man I think alot of people are really missing the boat up there. There are a ton of wild fish up there, especially when you fish above Green Cove. I would also like to add that above green cove, up closer to the hatchery the angler pressure seems to drastically decrease.

I also fished the North today as well, starting just above the Donley Cabin. And there too I caught fish after fish on nymphs....until that is I put on the Parachute Adams. Now I don't know how the fishing was in the Smokey's today, but even the dry fly fishing was good up at Tellico today... By the way, just where are the Brook Trout people talk about in the North River. I have yet to catch a single one...???

pineman19
02-17-2008, 02:29 PM
Good report 2weight, you sure know how to stoke that Cabin Fever. The weather forecast looks pretty decent for the next 10 days, plenty of rain in the forecast. Hopefully, conditions will keep getting better. I hope to explore the Tellico area this season, have been in the area, but have never wetted a line down there. Nice to hear your catching wild trout on top of the stockers that occur in the lowere sections. I have one questions, where do the Wild Trout waters begin on Tellico? I would like to focus on the wild ones as well and stay away from the crowds in the heavily stocked sections.

Thanks,

Neal

oody3wt
02-17-2008, 02:46 PM
Dont loose faith in the brookies 2weight, they're in there you'll just have to find em like the rest of us. good report and best of luck.

2weightfavorite
02-17-2008, 03:33 PM
In my own experience the wild fish really start around Green Cove. Now not to say that you wont catch some below there, but to catch them with regularity I'd start out around Green Cove. I've fished a good bit between the mouth ouf the North River and Green Cove, and to be honest that stretch really didn't impress me at all. Very few fish, and even fewer wild ones. Now the North is all wil fish, except for those rampbunctious few that make the swim up stream.

So about these Brook trout... just how far above the Donely Cabin does one need to go to catch them?? Are there alot of them up there, kind of like the West Prong of the Little Pigeon above Alum Cave, or are they far and few between no matter how high up you fish??

psnapp
02-17-2008, 08:43 PM
2wt -- gotta go a long way past Donley Cabin!

Grumpy
02-17-2008, 10:04 PM
You know they just started that rumor bout the brookies to get people there to fish;)

Grumpy

Tellico Angler
02-18-2008, 12:23 AM
2wt,
Try some bushy dries about size 16. Be patient and handle with CARE when you catch them.
Never had a problem finding any brookies on the North, so don't really know how to help you there. I will tell you that they are not as active as the bows in the winter. Especially on the North River. Good luck!

Grumpy
02-18-2008, 09:04 AM
Tellico on fire!

When i first saw the title it reminded me years ago of driving up the road to thick smoke everywhere, after driving 3 hours to get there, we found out they were doing controlled burns, fortunately, they didn't have any areas closed off.
It was kind of leary driving by fires knowing there wasn't a way out if they all of a sudden became "uncontrolled":eek:

Grumpy

wynnsman
02-20-2008, 11:37 PM
Most of the brroks ive gotten have been way up river on the North, almost to the point where you think theres no water left. As far as the main river goes its hard to catch wilds after they start stocking, but ive gotten a few wilds all over the river. But they are few and far between when the stockers come.

Shaggy
02-23-2008, 08:02 PM
I drove up to Tellico today above Green Cove and saw no sign of fish anywhere. I moved to 4-5 different spots and still did'nt even see any. I then drove up the North River a ways and did see a few small fish swim by me real fast, may have been trout. I used pheasant tail nymphs, midges and even some dries. NOTHING, not even a bump! I have been flyfishing for only about a year and normally fish the Hiwassee, but I still have yet to catch a fish at Tellico in 5 trips. I give up on Tellico and will now start driving a little further to the Smokies.

PeteCz
02-23-2008, 08:53 PM
Shaggy, Don't Give Up!!

Its tough fishing right now, man (I guess I shouldn't make the male assumption...I could have said dude...but I guess that might not have been appropriate, either)

Anyway, its just a bit too cold for the fish right now. I've been to places in the park that I always see fish and I have not seen any, lately. They're there, they're just hunkered down. Give it a go in another couple of weeks (maybe even late March), when the water temps have climbed up above 50. I think if you poke around on this site, you'll find very few people doing well right now.

The Tellico, Bald and North are too close to you to give up on 'em now. It took me several years (yes, I did say years) before I caught fish in the park with a flyrod (while I had been catching fish on the HI). If you can you should go with someone who has caught fish on the Tellico before and watch how they do it, you should be able to pick up a few things and then start catching them yourself. It may be fly selection, where you are on the river, your approach to the fish, casting technique or line management, but trust me, the fish are there...The Tellico is a fine watershed, don't let it defeat you!

Here's my disclaimer: After all, I did say that it took me years to catch a fish in the Park, so I might not be the best person to be giving advice (it would be easy to doubt my sanity). In fact, I started fishing in the park in 2000 and never caught a fish in the park until 2006. I could usually count on a half dozen fish on the HI, but could never catch one on the LR or around Tremont. The difference between Stockers and Wild Trout can be confounding. Once I learned about being stealthy, staying low and not backcasting unless I had no choice, I started to catch more wild trout. Confidence is also a big key. If you think you are going to catch fish, you usually do. If you are worried about getting skunked, you usually do...I have no idea why, but it just seems to be the case.

Keep trying...its not about the catching...

David Knapp
02-23-2008, 11:44 PM
With wild fish, by the time you see them it is often too late...the fish are there, don't give up...:cool:

2weightfavorite
02-24-2008, 08:36 AM
I hate that you had a tuff day up there.... If you ever want to fish Tellico again I'd be glad to fish it with ya. It's funny how some streams treat people differently. I love it up at Tellico, but can't stand Citico. I have some buddies who go to Citico on a regular basis and swear it holds better fish than Tellico. I suppose it's all in the eye of the beholder...well or fisher in this case.

Shaggy
02-24-2008, 10:45 PM
Thank you all for the advice and kind words...I was very frustrated and just sounding off I guess. I got myself all worked up for a return to Tellico now that I am a little more experienced and I guess I just assumed the fish would throw themselves at me:rolleyes: In actuality, it only proved that I will be a newbie at fly fishing for quite a bit longer. 2weight, I may very well take you up on that offer one day, I appreciate the help. If there is one thing that I have noticed since taking up FF is that most of the other anglers are VERY helpful to newbies like me.

Now, it was really not that bad of a day. The streams were beautiful (especially a deep pool with a small waterfall I found up the North River where I saw the 2 small fish dart past me with lightning speed) and there were no crowds either. Now that my frustration has subsided I can see that it was nice to just be there and I am only more determined to find these fish someday.

I have a question, where does Tellico River end and Citico begin, and also, during the stocking season what are the regulations on the river other than the daily permit? I saw people chucking corn this past summer and thought it was artificial lures only, or is that the North River?

Thanks again,

MikeC

Rockyraccoon
02-25-2008, 12:35 AM
I suppose the Tellico ends where the free flowing river runs into Tellico Lake.

Citico on the other hand begins up in the mountains a few valley's to the ne of where the Tellico begins. Citico forms where the North and South fork come together about 35 minutes from the lower Tellico up a long the Cherohala Skyway.

North and Bald Rivers are managed as wild trout fisheries and are artificial only. The Tellico is managed under different regs at different times of year. During the winter a Delayed Harvest is in effect from Turkey Creek up to the North and it is artificial only. During the normal permit season, just about anything goes on the Tellico as long as you have a daily permit.

Tennessee Jed
02-25-2008, 11:41 AM
Did anybody ready John Gierach's latest article in FR&R called, "Mountain Streams of Tennessee"? He fished the Tellico basin with Jim and Walter Babb. He did a good job of describing our cherished little streams, and it was neat to get his take on what the fishing is like in our neck of the woods.

KnoxBioBenz
02-27-2008, 01:50 AM
I am planning and overnight trip to the Bald River this Friday night. I am new to FF and I want to be sure that I have all the flies that I might need.
Specifically, what nymphs should I bring along??
What dry flies should I have??
Any streamers??
I usually eat rice and trout or rice and rice when I go overnight so we will see how it goes, I hav eonly fished the Bald River once.

Thanks Guys, I am going to also post this under a new thread as well.