PDA

View Full Version : Elk River 2/16/08

highpockets
02-16-2008, 08:52 PM
Got there late (2:20) but caught 5 before dark. 3 on size 22 Prince fished under an indicator and 2 on an olive Wooly Bugger with some silver flash in it. Caught all but one at the ends of deep pools right where they got shallow again!

Caught one walking up the river with my line in my hand and the prince trailing behind me! Scared me to death!

highpockets
02-16-2008, 10:30 PM
Correction! Not Prince Nymph, Copper John! Brain fart!

UofMontanaAlum
02-17-2008, 11:57 AM
Caught one walking up the river with my line in my hand and the prince trailing behind me! Scared me to death!

I did this once when I was a kid. I was playing along the bank of a lake in Montana with a huge Rapala lure on the line. The lure wasn't more than 3-4 feet from dry land. All of a sudden I hear splashing and felt something pulling like crazy on my rod. At first I thought it was my grandpa playing with me. When I turned around an 8 lb Northern Pike was thrashing around in the shallow water hooked to my Rapala. Talked about scared to death! I'll never forget that day. It was great.

irfishing
02-18-2008, 11:50 AM
I have caught(???) trout while walking with the fly trailing along behind me while fishing on the Elk as well as the Duck. It sure is a surprise when it happens since there is no setting the hook, raising the rod tip,etc. Maybe stockers are just under educated or something!!!!

highpockets
02-18-2008, 12:40 PM
I was trying to figure out what would make a trout come so close and ignore me walking and thought that the water was cloudy and I was probably stirring up stuff while I walked and the trout was swimming up through the debris feeding.

One of the fish I caught on a Wooly was caught where I just walked through. Kind of a what-the-heck cast!