PDA

View Full Version : diamondglass....opinions?

stickbait
02-17-2008, 12:13 AM
Might pick up one for a small stream rig. I know of a 3,4, and 5 wt. that are available. I've casted the 4wt. before since a friend has one, but was thinking 5wt. since I would be more likely to use it on tailwaters as well. Is the 8ft. 5wt. too much for small stream applications in a rod like this?

Stickbait

Grumpy
02-17-2008, 08:43 AM
Nope, a friend of mine has that rod, i don't think he's used any of his other rods since he bought it:eek:
He landed a 14" smallie the other day on it, i've never seen such a grin while telling the story.

Grumpy

Troutman
02-18-2008, 11:53 PM
I have both the 8ft 4wt. (804) 2 piece and the 8ft 5wt. (805) 3 piece. They are excellent rods. Fly Fish America 2008 gear guide rated them as a staff favorite dry fly rod. I fish my 805 more than anything else. Get one before they are completely gone, Cortland/Diamondback has already discontinued the 805 this year. Even as a 5wt rod, they feel more like a 3 wt with a fish on, but can throw a bigger selection of flies. The 4 wt is a little faster than the 5wt and can handle some small streamers and tandem rig nymphs very well. Either rod is a good choice.

Rog 1
02-19-2008, 11:08 AM
I got their 6'6" 3wt for my birthday last year...intended for the smaller creeks and the backcountry....ended up fishing with it everywhere .....a little faster than my Orvis one ounce but a great rod.

TroutDude
02-21-2008, 10:55 AM
I also have the 8' 5 wt. It has become my go to rod. I absolutly love it. It can handle most situations that I happen to come across.

As well loved as the rods are, it is somewhat surprising they are slowly being done away with. The have a definite cult following.

flyred06
08-06-2008, 12:15 PM
I have the 4wt diamond glass rod and I love it. It stays strung up in my study all the time. I grab it to go pan fishing or light bass on a moments notice. I also use it to practice casting new flies I tie up and I can't say enough about how much I love this rod.