PDA

View Full Version : Gorges State Park area???

mtnman2888
02-20-2008, 02:19 PM
Hello, was wondering if anyone has fished in this area or knows anything about it. A friend and i are trying to plan a camping trip to the area around easter, before it gets too warm. I know that there is tons of water to fish in the area, like horsepasture, thompson, and whitewater, not to mention all of the smaller streams that feed into these. Would anyone be willing to share maybe a good place to start? We don't mind the walk so actually the farther back the better.

I have also heard rumblings that this is an extremely rugged area with lots of waterfalls and cascades. I don't know if this is true or if this is more of those things to try and keep people away. Sounds like a beautiful place to go and i'm definitely going to check it out, though. Feel free to email me if you would rather not post, any information would be appreciated as it's hard to come by. Thanks.

Craig

kytroutman
02-21-2008, 02:34 PM
Craig, do you mind if I send you an email with some information?

Gerry Romer
02-21-2008, 02:47 PM
I'm trying to locate an article I came across last Fall about the Gorges Park area - specifically about fly fishing - that was very informative. I'm thinking it was in an issue of Eastern Fly Fishing magazine. Can't find it at their website (which is not the best website ever built) and I think my son borrowed the mag... If you've got access to back issues you might be able to find it. I'll keep looking.

Gerry

mtnman2888
02-21-2008, 05:46 PM
I actually have that issue of the magazine. I had found this area and was looking into it right before that issue came out. It has some good, basic information in it but i would like to hear from someone who has actually been there. There is a big difference between "magazine talk" and someone who has actual experience in the area.

Craig

brownhunter
02-24-2008, 09:44 PM
Craig,
I fished that area last summer and really had a great time. I only fished the Whitewater, but I pretty much had the place to myself. I fished the SC part of the river. It is rugged the farther up you travel, but then again, if you go downstream too far you run into another large waterfall. I will go back this spring/summer to fish that area.

bamafly
03-29-2008, 12:53 AM
if you are still in the area........check out panthertown.......brookies!!