PDA

View Full Version : Spring Fly Swap II

PeteCz
02-20-2008, 03:42 PM
Congrats to they guys that started the first Spring Fly Swap this year! Unfortunately I have been traveling on business a lot this past month and was not quick enough to join in.

Is anyone interested in starting up a second fly swap?

I've been tying bunches of CDC EHC and need to find a proper home for them (other than in the rhododendron on WPLP...)

Kentucky Kid
02-21-2008, 12:30 PM
doesn't look like there will be enough people but I'd be willing to do it.

buckeyetrouter
02-22-2008, 07:02 PM
if ya get enough to go I will participate......

buckeyetrouter

rainshaker
02-22-2008, 07:52 PM
Count me In.....it's an excuse to actually sit down at the desk and do it

onthefly
02-22-2008, 08:43 PM
Count me in for Fly Swap take two. :biggrin:

TroutDude
02-23-2008, 01:13 AM
I'm in as well.

buckeyetrouter
02-23-2008, 08:24 AM
mark me down for a parachute adams........

buckeyetrouter

rainshaker
02-23-2008, 12:22 PM
I'll tie the Secret Weapon or "Smoky Mtn Prince Nymph"

PeteCz
02-23-2008, 03:19 PM
Ok, here's what we have so far. We could do 12, 18 or 24. I was thinking we could use the same format as the first Spring Fly Swap. Since some of you are in the SFS I, we could put the deadline at 3/30, to give you enough time. Or would we need to push it our even farther? Let me know a) the fly you want to tie, b) How many you think we should tie and c) what the deadline should be.

So far:
Kentucky Kid
Buckeyetrouter - Parachute Adams
Rainshaker - Smoky Mtn Prince Nymph
OnTheFly
TroutDude
PeteCz - Yellow CDC EHC (Little Yellow Sally)

onthefly
02-23-2008, 04:08 PM
I thought about doing a #16 Copper John if that is agreeable to everyone.
12 flies, 30 March sounds good to me.

This will be my first swap, so I need a few instructions on the distribution process. Do I make a label for each fly?
Thank you

onthefly
02-23-2008, 04:26 PM
I found an old post from "Griff" so I'm in the "know" on how the fly swap works.
Sencondly, if there is an overall consensus on the color of the Copper John, I'm open to suggestions.

PeteCz
02-23-2008, 08:33 PM
Ok guys, I'm still waiting for everyone's input, but I thought I would put a stake in the ground and we can alter the guidelines as appropriate, based on everyones feedback.

This has been edited (plaguerized, actually) from Griff's Post as well as the other swap thread (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7973): (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7973%29:)

Since this was my bright idea, I'll take the responsibility of being the swapmeister. The theme for this swap will be any Smoky Mtn. pattern. We have 6 participants with 2 flies per person, so that's 12 flies each (for those of us mathematically challenged). The due date for having your flies sent to me will be March 30th. If you have any questions about how this works just ask.

Here are a few ground rules to help keep everything smooth:

1. Send me an email at [petecz@charter.net] and I will send you my mailing address information

2. Start tying! The due date for your flies is March 30th. Please don't procrastinate, everyone is counting on you to make this a successful swap.

3. Each fly will need to have a toetag, this is just a small piece of paper with your LRO username on it, what you tied and what size. Include the recipe if you want, or post it on the thread (or keep it a closely guarded family secret).

4. When you are finished with your flies and have mailed them, post on here, so that I can keep an eye out for them. I don't think my mailman flyfishes...but you never know...

5. Send your flies in a crushproof container with a return self-addressed envelope with return postage. The little plastic boxes you get when you buy flies from LRO work well. What ever box you send your flies in will be returned to you.

6. If you feel the urge to tie a few "bonus flies", keep in mind that all additional bonus flies are a gift to the recipient, and in no way constitutes a return fly unless that person wants too include bonus flies, as well. If I receive extra flies I will distribute them accordingly. If you want to specify who to give the bonus flies to, please indicate that in your shipment and I will add those flies to that persons return package.

7. Communication is very important! Don't hesitate to ask questions.

Thanks to Griff and the Other Swappers!

OnTheFly - My preference would be a Red Copper John, but let's see what everyone else thinks...

TroutDude
02-24-2008, 07:54 AM
Pencil me in for a Mr. Rapidan Cripple. I'd go with red on the copper john as well if possible.

Trouttater
02-24-2008, 05:50 PM
Is there room for one more, or is it set? If there is room, pencil me in for a yellow trude.

Brad

Gerry Romer
02-24-2008, 11:04 PM
I had been tying up a mess of Yellow Doc's Cork dries for the "other" Spring swap, but I just checked back on that thread and noticed that I'm not in the list. I guess I didn't make myself very clear.

Anyway, if anyone's interested, sign me up for the Yellow Doc's Cork - aka, Daniel's Neversink Caddis - photo to follow shortly. I'm tying 14's and 16's so y'all will get one of each.

Gerry

PeteCz
02-24-2008, 11:26 PM
Ok, I think we are now at our limit. If we do two flies each we're at 16.
Here's what I have heard so far:

Kentucky Kid
OnTheFly - Copper John - Red (other colors available if you ask nicely! and quickly!)
TroutDude - Mr. Rapidan Cripple
PeteCz - Yellow CDC EHC (Little Yellow Sally)
Trouttater - Yellow Trude
Gerry Romer - Yellow Neversink Caddis (Doc's Cork)

Gerry Romer
02-25-2008, 03:23 AM
Here's the Doc's Cork. Not exactly the best pic, but you get the idea...

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l233/gwrom/DocsCorkYellow.jpg

This particular specimen is a size 16.

Gerry

Kentucky Kid
02-25-2008, 06:06 PM
I've decided on the tellico nymph. size 14

PeteCz
02-25-2008, 10:50 PM
Kentucky Kid - Tellico Nymph
OnTheFly - Copper John - Red (other colors available if you ask nicely! and quickly!)
TroutDude - Mr. Rapidan Cripple
PeteCz - Yellow CDC EHC (Little Yellow Sally?)
Trouttater - Yellow Trude
Gerry Romer - Yellow Doc's Cork

Trouttater, I see from the other swap that you are tying a Yellow Sally EHC. Does it include CDC? If so, I'll pick something else...

Gerry, I like the Doc's Cork. I had been trying to tie some Neversink Caddis, but had been taking the hackle to the hook eye. I like the yellow foam head on yours. It makes it easier to tie off the hackle.

Trouttater
02-28-2008, 08:45 PM
No, I've tied it using CDC, but this one is just a simple yellow body EHC with light ginger/straw hackle.

buckeyetrouter
02-28-2008, 10:16 PM
ok guys.....going into mail Friday, all done with this one:cool: ...pic is below..

Trouttatter....thanks again for the help!

bob

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l303/buckeyetrouter/DSC_0086_edited-1.jpg

:eek: just kidding, blackburn tellico nymph below

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l303/buckeyetrouter/blackburntelliconymph.jpg

Gerry Romer
02-28-2008, 11:13 PM
Nice looking nymph!!

Hey, petecz! Did you get my email?? I've got mine ready to go, so where do they go???

Gerry Romer

buckeyetrouter
02-29-2008, 06:37 AM
opppppps....wrong thread, this is going to the first spring tie.....tying a different fly for this one.....sorry

buckeyetrouter

Kentucky Kid
03-02-2008, 02:21 PM
I've almost got mine all done too. Can't wait to see everyone's flies.

buckeyetrouter
03-02-2008, 04:53 PM
just starting mine as I just mailed my tellico nymphs in friday for the first spring tie swap......will start tying for this swap at end of this coming week....

question.....does anyone care if I switch to the BWO parachute.....if no objections by mid week I willl get started so I can mail them out by end of next week....

bob

Kentucky Kid
03-06-2008, 09:34 PM
Hey Petecz what is your email or address I need to know where to send the flies.

PeteCz
03-06-2008, 11:21 PM
I'm at petecz at charter.net

buckeyetrouter
03-15-2008, 04:17 PM
hey guys......tried a new material for green weenies, whatcha think? If I have time I may tie one for each of you in the swap to try if ya want.......

bob

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l303/buckeyetrouter/DSC_0097_edited-1.jpg

rainshaker
03-15-2008, 04:39 PM
awesome!!!..

what is that stuff and more importantly, where did you get it ?

buckeyetrouter
03-15-2008, 04:53 PM
hobby lobby.....it is bracelet stretch wiring for plastic bead bracelets....was the only one they had left and was marked down to $.46......would have bought 20 of them if they had them......

bob

rainshaker
03-16-2008, 02:45 PM
Cool thanks for the info...

Their website is fairly minimal, but I was able to confirm they also make a "glow in the dark" version of this product.....hmmmm

Kentucky Kid
03-16-2008, 04:13 PM
Well, bad news. I had all my flies tied ready to send in with the tags. Then when I went to send them they weren't there. I've looked everywhere and can't find them. So I won't be sending any in. Sorry if you already tied them but I'm not tying a new batch.
Sorry.

rainshaker
03-17-2008, 12:18 PM
That must be terrible to spend so much time and effort making 16 flies and tags and shipping and postage and all only to have them evaporate.

Did you look behind the couch? Perhaps you got as far as addressing the envelope(s) and left everything in your truck?

To quote George Carlin: "....[people say] 'well, it just didn't get-up and walk away'....but one day I lost the cat." :eek:

I hope they find their way home soon....

TroutDude
03-17-2008, 02:22 PM
I've just about finished my flies. I'm brewing beer tonight, so I'll finish up tomorrow, and get them in the mail Wednesday. Take care all!

Gerry Romer
03-17-2008, 02:34 PM
Brainstorm!!!

Anybody up for a beer swap ??

Dude -- you can start us off!!

rainshaker
03-17-2008, 04:39 PM
I enjoy a frosty Lager from time to time...unfortunately Tennessee is one of five states that won't allow citizens to import (order online) out-of-state alcohol....

so much for free trade.

In other news...my Smoky Mtn Prince Nymphs are in the mail

onthefly
03-19-2008, 08:00 PM
I've finished my flies and will be placing them in the mail tomorrow. I left the barb crimping to be done by the respective recipients. I'm sure most crimp however, I did not want to be presumtuous. Thank you all in advance for your flies in return.

rainshaker
03-20-2008, 12:10 AM
I thought the same thing.....I'm in a habit of crimping barbs and caught myself a couple times trying to manipulate hooks that, I guess, technically weren't mine or ultimately wouldn't be.

It's been fun tying up another successful batch.....I'm looking forward to filling up my fly box with some spiffy new creations.

Thanks everyone

TroutDude
03-23-2008, 08:28 PM
Sorry It took me so long guys.
With the last batch of rain that came through the Ohio valley last week, I ended up with 4" of water in my basement and spent all my free time bailing and salvaging as much as I could. I've got the flies packaged and they are in the mail tomorrow.
If I could send you all beer from the brewing session I would. Look me up at Troutfest, I'm heading down with a soda keg full of beer.

Once again, sorry for the delay.

Dude

Trouttater
03-24-2008, 07:20 AM
I finished mine yesterday while watching the game. They will be in the mail either today or tomorrow.

buckeyetrouter
03-24-2008, 07:40 AM
I just have to package up mine also and they will be in the mail......if possible I am going to try and get one of my new transluecent green weenie in for each member of the swap also........

PeteCz
03-24-2008, 08:56 AM
Kentucky Kid - Tellico Nymph - Lost :frown:
Buckeyetrouter - Parachute Adams [finished tying - on the way soon]
Rainshaker - Smoky Mtn Prince Nymph [Completed - Received]
OnTheFly - Red Copper John [Completed - Received]
TroutDude - Mr. Rapidan Cripple [finished tying - on the way soon]
PeteCz - Yellow Stimi - [Completed - Received]
Trouttater - Yellow Trude [finished tying - on the way soon]
Gerry Romer - Yellow Doc's Cork [Completed - Received]

Ok Guys, were getting close to the finish line! Rainshaker, OnTheFly, Gerry and I have our flies in and Buckeye, Dude and Tater have completed theirs and are sending them in. I hope to have all the flies in, sorted and back out by Friday...

Unfortunately, the Kentucky Kid misplaced his flies, so I'm in the process of wrapping up a batch of Yellow Foam Humpy's to take the place of his Tellicos.

If you haven't sent me an e-mail asking for my address, I'm at petecz at charter.net.

buckeyetrouter
03-24-2008, 03:31 PM
shot you an email for your addy.....parachute adams were ready and I rushed thru some buckeye green weenies with the transluecent tubing for each to get one....let me know if they fish well.......

bob

ps.....any extra flies should go to the swap moderator IMHO.....so if I send too many, you should just keep them.....

onthefly
03-26-2008, 04:04 PM
I have not tied a lot of Stimulators. I'm still trying to get the proportions right. This ones tail is too short and the overwing is a bit on the lengthy side and, the palmered hackle is a bit long too. :p

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh50/Onthefly73/Pictures/Fly%20Fishing/Stimulator.jpg

buckeyetrouter
03-26-2008, 06:09 PM
I think it looks really good........if the Smokey Mountain trout start measuring wings and thorax I may be in real trouble.....

real nice looking fly! ! !

bob

Trouttater
03-26-2008, 08:31 PM
Good looking fly. I tie all my stimulators with a little bit shorter tail. It is definately a fishable fly.

PeteCz
03-26-2008, 11:35 PM
onthefly, That's a good looking Stimulator. I go short on my Stimi tails, as well. Some folks think it resembles an egg sack, rather than a tail...

Here is the latest:
Kentucky Kid - Tellico Nymph - Lost :frown: - being replaced with Yellow Foam Humpys [Almost Complete]
Buckeyetrouter - Parachute Adams [finished tying - on the way soon]
Rainshaker - Smoky Mtn Prince Nymph [Completed - Received]
OnTheFly - Red Copper John [Completed - Received]
TroutDude - Mr. Rapidan Cripple [Completed - Received]
PeteCz - Yellow Stimi - [Completed - Received]
Trouttater - Yellow Trude [finished tying - on the way soon]
Gerry Romer - Yellow Doc's Cork [Completed - Received]

I unfortunately I have to drive to Buffalo for a funeral (leaving tomorrow), so if the remaining flies come in, in the next day or two, it will probably be Wednesday before I can send them to everyone. Sorry about that...

All the flies look great!

Gerry, can I get your boots to you on Wednesday? If you need them sooner, they will be at our house (or Cindy can run them over to you). I hate to keep them hostage...

buckeyetrouter
03-27-2008, 05:18 AM
dropped mine in the mail Tuesday so they should be there either today or tomorrow.....I was able to quick tie 8 of the transluecent green weenies for everyone also, not the best tie but you'll get the idea....

bob

PeteCz
04-02-2008, 07:00 PM
Thanks to everyone for sending in their flies (they look great!). I have sorted them, repacked them and dropped them in the mail this evening.

Send me an e-mail or post on this thread to let me know when you receive them. Everyone should have about 20 flies. 14 from the roster of flies, a Buckeye Green Weenie [BGW] (Thanks Bob!), an extra Doc's Cork (Thanks Gerry!), a Yellow Foam Humpy and three random flies from the original set. Since we only needed 14 flies and everyone sent in 16+ I just did a grab bag for the remaining flies...

I hope you all enjoy them, and put them to good use (note: feeding rhododendron is not considered a "good" use of them....:rolleyes: )

TroutDude
04-02-2008, 10:27 PM
I just wanted to give a big thanks to Pete for organizing all of this, and thanks to all of you that participated!

Gerry Romer
04-03-2008, 03:30 PM
Well, Pete just hand-delivered my flies (How's that for service? :cool: ) and they all look great!!

I think the Jelly Weenie looks like it'll make an excellent appetizer - especially dropped off the Yellow Stimulator or the Doc's Cork, or the Yellow Humpy :rolleyes: . I just hope it's not too early for so much yellow. Oh well, I can always drop it off the Red Copper John... Trust me, they'll all be put to good use eventually.

Like I needed another reason to go fishing this weekend...:biggrin:

Thanks again and congrats on a great job!!

Gerry

buckeyetrouter
04-03-2008, 04:31 PM
hey Pete (and all other tyers)...if you would like, I could take pics of the flies in this tye and post them similar to the first fly swap (if all would like)

bob

rainshaker
04-03-2008, 10:15 PM
I think that is an absolutely wonderful Idea ! :smile:

Gerry Romer
04-03-2008, 10:49 PM
I say go for it!!

onthefly
04-04-2008, 09:59 AM
I'll third that.

Trouttater
04-05-2008, 09:26 AM
Got em yesterday. Another great looking set of flies. Thank you everyone that participated.

Brad

rainshaker
04-05-2008, 04:26 PM
Got 'em ...this morning

Again, I have say, these are impressive. The quality of these flies reflect how much you guys enjoy this sport.

Thanks, Everyone!

onthefly
04-05-2008, 04:30 PM
I got my flies today, they all look great! This was my first fly swap and I had a blast doing it. Thanks again.

buckeyetrouter
04-07-2008, 09:36 PM
really nice looking flies guys......got them today, you know they have to stop and water the horses twice before they even get to the Ohio territory, but they made it.....

I will try to get them photographed and posted either tomorrow or asap......

bob

PeteCz
04-07-2008, 10:07 PM
Did you get your flies yet?

buckeyetrouter
04-08-2008, 09:09 PM
ok fellers.....here she is, get your popcorn and favorite cold beverage, kick the recliner back and enjoy.....

bob

click on this link:

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l303/buckeyetrouter/?action=view&current=0b5e179d.pbw

onthefly
04-08-2008, 09:20 PM
Hey, great job on the pictures! Thanks for taking the time and effort posting them on the board. They all look really good.

TroutDude
04-08-2008, 11:02 PM
I received my flies the other day, sorry I haven't been able to send a note.
I also had a funeral to attend. They all look great. Thanks to everyone for making this a success. Now, if it would ever stop raining in Louisville, I'll actually be able to put them to use.