PDA

View Full Version : Net Question

gg1262
02-20-2008, 04:56 PM
What is the general consensous on nets, specifically, rubber net bags vs. the "fish friendly" fabric bags? I need to replace the netting on my trout net and I am wondering if I should try to find a rubber net instead of a fabric one. Which is actually easier on the fish? I fished out in Oregon two years ago and they required rubber nets. Last year I fished in and around Glacier and the guide I had was completely against handly fish period, but when he did grab the net for the one "large" fish (18" cutthroat, not bad) it was a rubber net. Is this just the "new thing" or is there some level of truth to it?

Greg

Grumpy
02-20-2008, 10:38 PM
There's a lot of truth to it, a wet rubber bag does less harm to a fish. Most of the time the fish will throw the barbless hook in the net & the person is back casting before the fish is released, that is, unless it's an "admirable" fish;)
I've been using a rubber net for 12 years or so, won't even look at another one unless it has a rubber bag.

Grumpy

gg1262
02-21-2008, 09:41 AM
Thanks for the input Grumpy! I am going to go ahead and get a rubber bag for my net. I found a site on the net that has replacement bags. The net was a gift from my mother who purchased it from LL Bean. They do not, at least on their website, offer replacement bags. Although they have great customer service so if I called they would probably help.

Anyhoo, thanks again for you input.

Greg

irfishing
02-21-2008, 10:02 AM
Grumpy,
If you don't mind sharing, what brand of net do you use/recommend?
I have been thing about getting one because the net I am now using is really bad to tangle and makes removing the hook a mess.
The fish deserve better. Thanks

Grumpy
02-21-2008, 11:40 PM
In the boat, it's one of those from BassPro, 42" aluminum handle & shallow rubber bag.
I like the Brodin Cutthroat boat net, it has a longer handle than the regular Cutthroat model great for yaks or toons, it's on the heavy side though.
Fisknat & a few other's make some lighter models with synthetic handles & such. I'm sure there are other manufacturesrs out there as well, be interested in hearing from some folks that have them.

Grumpy

gg1262
02-28-2008, 10:37 PM
Hey Grumpy and IR:

I just got a new bag for my net. It is a rubber replacement net bag from American Fly Fishing Co. (www.AmericanFlyFishing.com (http://www.AmericanFlyFishing.com)). You just take the old net off and the new one zips on. It's a "measure net" to boot. Pretty nice, especially for $13.00. I could see where I may someday look at eliminating the zipper and using cord to attach the net, but this will be fine until it's not.