PDA

View Full Version : Lake runners

FishNHunt
02-24-2008, 07:30 PM
I took a trip yesterday to see if the lake runners were moving up any better yet and had a very productive trip. I only caught 5 or 6 that were in my (nonexpert opinion) lake runners ie.noworn down fins, colored nicely and in the 12-15 inch range. The rest were stockers that had moved up. The majority were in the 8-10 inch range but I was broke off twice after I let a #16 BHPT drift threw a very large slow pool several times. It could have been a smallmouth because I never actually saw the fish so I can't say for sure but it was fun none the less. In all I would guess it was a 20 fish day. The fish are feeding on anything you can drift threw including drys' but the takers are mostly the small fish. I kept three small fish and fried them with potatos and onions right there on the river bank. It was a very nice meal and the warm fire felt good on cold toes.

Saturday March 1st

I visited my spot again with a friend who I am trying to teach the sport (Paula I put a good word in for your class BTW) and the fishing was slower but it appears the first run of nice fish have started. I saw more fish in the 12-14 inch range than previous trips and landed a beautiful 16 inch bow. I have a picture of her but I can't seem to load it up on my home computer. I will figure the problem out and get them on here. Quills were EVERYWHERE but they didn't seem to be taking them very well. My friend caught a 8 inch bow on the very first drift.... beginers luck but handed the rod over after 45 minutes of "trying". This is taboo but I let them use some corn on a spinner (not in the park mind you) and they caught 3 more bows but all were small. The big fish don't seem interested in the corn. They wanted the BHPT and midge patterns. I found that interesting. On the way out we spotted some otters and I squatted down behind a bolder and "whistled" to them trying to imitate there calls they came within 20 feet of us and climbed out on a rock. Very beautiful animals.