PDA

View Full Version : Kayak Negatives????

BuckeyeRick
02-25-2008, 01:58 PM
I'm thinking of selling my boat (12' Lund w/electric only) and buying a kayak. I have read a ton as to their positve points, but what are the drawbacks? Also, what tips can you yakkers give me about buying a yak? Length? Beam? Equipment I shouldn't leave the shop without? Anything would be welcome. Thanks!

Troutman
02-25-2008, 03:23 PM
I fish from an inflatable kayak on rivers and lakes. It has a lot of positive points but a few drawbacks as well.
1. Harder to cast from a sitting position with legs in front of you.
2. you are constantly trying to control the boat direction and cast at the same time.
3. cannot anchor down in high or really fast moving water like a drift boat or raft.

I would not go less than 12ft in length on any boat. My yaks width is 39". It is very stable but you still cannot stand up.
If I ever trade up, I would get an inflatable 12ft raft and fishing frame. A friend just bought one used and can go anywhere that I can in the yak with more comfort and fishability. If I only planned on fishing alone all the time, a personal pontoon that I could row or motor(troll motor) with the ability to stand and cast would be my next choice.

Plunker
02-25-2008, 04:25 PM
I just received some info on Nucanoe www.nucanoe.com (http://www.nucanoe.com) and am waiting on some info from www.freedomhawkkayaks.com (http://www.freedomhawkkayaks.com)

The nucanoe adventurer model is 12' with a 42"beam looks very interesting around $600 or $700 I think.
The freedom hawk is a 14' with two lever operated outriggers that "Y" out from the stern for stability...this one looks pretty expensive though MSRP @ $1895.

May be able to get a used flat's skiff for that :p

Plunker
02-25-2008, 04:48 PM
Did some checking...the Nucanoe lists for over a grand as well.. too rich or my blood. Sorry to mis-lead you:redface:

Tellico Angler
02-25-2008, 04:49 PM
Rick,
If you are fly fishing from it I would go with the Freedom Hawk that was mentioned. Ability to stand up and cast and also has an anchor system. They are expensive, but they are definitely state of the art for fly fishing yaks. The outriggers come off for ease of transport if needed also.

Byron Begley
02-25-2008, 07:52 PM
Tellico Angler,

I went on your website briefly but I can't figure out who you are. I thought I knew all the guides in our region. Anyway, I'm glad to see people guiding for smallmouth bass near here. That is an overlooked resource here in East Tennessee. I'll look into the kayaks you chose. We are looking to buy two for use on the Little River and the flats.

Byron

Jswitow
02-26-2008, 12:15 AM
What are you going to do when that 10' bull shark comes cruising down the flat? Kayaks to look like alot of fun.
Tight lines,
John,

Paula Begley
02-26-2008, 07:58 AM
John...I said the exact same thing!

Paula

buckeyetrouter
02-26-2008, 08:39 AM
in regards to the bull shark....it's kinda like bear.....ya only have to be a little bit faster than the slowest person.....But I believe Byron would be the gentleman and lag behind;)

seriously, sharks scare me.......I was at TinkerBell Island (thats what my ft meyers buddy calls SanaBell Island) and saw some fins which caused me to walk on water. My buddy said it was only dolphins to which I replied " I believe I'll enjoy the DOLPHINS from the beach".........

buckeyetrouter

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l303/buckeyetrouter/sharkkayak.jpg

Paula Begley
02-26-2008, 08:56 AM
:eek:

Thanks, buckeye, really...thanks. That picture was so reassuring. :rolleyes:

:biggrin:

Paula

Tellico Angler
02-26-2008, 02:22 PM
Paula,
Don't worry. The kayak that I was talking about and the one that Byron said he was going to look at, comes with a push pole so you can keep them beat off or knock Byron in. Whichever you prefer.

ccmmcc
02-26-2008, 02:49 PM
I chose a personal pontoon over a kayak for the main reason that I found it difficult to control the kayak and fish at the same time. With a pontoon and some flippers, you can float downstream and cast without having to put down the rod and use oars or a paddle. Just let your feet control the boat. The downside to a pontoon, I guess, is that unless you want to deflate and disassemble it every time, you are going to need a trailer, which is what I do. A kayak would carry on top of your car.

Grumpy
02-27-2008, 08:56 AM
Can you say RUTTER, no not Ian, a rutter will help control your direction. I just started fishing from a yak last year, the toons rarely get used anymore, sold one, the wife wouldn't let me sell the other two:eek:
Make sure the boat has drain holes, nothing worse than sitting in water, a sit on top beats a sit in, 12' mininum length, 28" mininum width, dry storage in front, bungies in the rear, carbon, graphite or fiberglass paddle, the wider the boat, the longer the paddle. I have a 28" wide boat, a 240cm paddle works great.
Don't get me wrong, a toon or driftboat are more comfortable, i'm not going to row either one of them 3 or 4 miles upstream against current, the yak isn't a problem & you cut out a shuttle that way.
WIND, it's an enemy for any watercraft unless it's blowing you downstream at the end of the day:cool: that's where the rutter will help, it's not 100%, you can control the boat & still fish.
I can stand up on my yak, not talented enought to cast from it though. A friend has a Ride 135 from Wilderness Systems, i believe i could stand & cast from it(32" wide) it has like a dbl tunnel under it, very stable.
The longer the boat, the less friction on the water, therefore, they're faster.
DRAWBACKS, they feel twice as heavy after a long day on the water:eek: , thank goodness i just throw mine in the back of a truck:rolleyes: 2 people can load one on an SUV with no problems, especially if you have a Yakima system.
Gotta quit now, my finger's tired:redface:

Grumpy

Paula Begley
02-27-2008, 11:21 AM
Grumpy, did you mean RUDDER? We don't know what rutter is. :smile::)

Paula

BuckeyeRick
02-27-2008, 12:57 PM
I don't think it's RUTTING season yet.

snaildarter
02-27-2008, 08:06 PM
What you want is gonna depend a whole lot on what you want to do with it. As others have said above, maybe you want a raft or inflatable kayak or belly boat. There are so many options. What we've got are Dagger Blackwater 11.5's, which have a retractable skeg (or rutter... :biggrin:) making it easy to maneuver on both flat water and up to class 2 rapids (even class 3 if you've got skills and a spray skirt). They are just big enough to pack some camping gear in. Kayaks like ours are probably the most general solution to a wide range of conditions, although they are not the best solution for any particular situation.

And if you want to save money, the thing to do is to get them used.

Grumpy
02-27-2008, 10:22 PM
Grumpy, did you mean RUDDER? We don't know what rutter is. :smile::)

Paula

Rudder-hill people

Rutter-flat landers:biggrin:

Grumpy

Paula Begley
02-28-2008, 12:30 PM
*snort* Grumpy, you crack me up. :smile:

I can't wait to figure out what we are going to end up with in terms of a kayak. I love to paddle and I look forward to the challenge of fishing from a sitting position. I think I may need to start looking at long rods. ;)

Paula

buckeyetrouter
02-28-2008, 06:51 PM
Abby and I use our 11' kayaks on the local reservior alot when warm weather rolls around. Casting is not that difficult from the sitting position and I frequently use my 7'6" 3wt for b-gills and smallies

buckeyetrouter

ps....no more shark pics Paula, promise

clinchguy
03-01-2008, 11:24 AM
I paddled with a TDEC biologist several times in the last couple of years and he had the perfect boat to fly fish from

http://www.otteroutdoors.com/duckboats.htm

I think he had the 2000 model

hope this helps