PDA

View Full Version : watauga/s. holston on tv

milligan trout degree
02-25-2008, 08:01 PM
I fished the bend on the watauga today and got there in time to see about 4 hydes sitting in the water with two camera men set up and a sweet camper with four different trout species painted on the sides. Apparently the group has been travelling across the country doing a show for the outdoor channel on fly fishing for trout. The guy I talked to said the show would air some time in april. Does anyone know anything about this show? I can't remember what he told me the name was going to be, sorry. Anyway, I thought it was pretty cool that the two rivers I fish most often will be given some national credit. As long as they don't crowd the rivers too bad. Maybe they'll show them getting skunked.

BTW....blue wings big time the last three days on the watauga, around noon in the middle section of the river.

FLYFSN
02-25-2008, 08:26 PM
TU's new television series is set to start in April on the Outdoor Channel. Read more about it in Trout winter 2008, page 13.

JimmyC
02-25-2008, 11:47 PM
I'm pretty excited about this show. Really cool you got to see them, too.

milligan trout degree
02-26-2008, 12:36 AM
yeah that's right, I forgot to mention they were filming for T.U. The guy I talked to said they caught some monsters the day before on the trophy section. He also said he's never fished this area before and it compares to any other river he's fished across the country. He said the SOHO is now on the top of his list.

I hurried to the water in hopes of getting some air time when it comes out, but I don't know how that went. I caught my first fish just as they were making around the bend. Bummer. Only problem is, I don't get the outdoor channel in my dorm room, I might have to get my parents to record it back home.

David Knapp
02-26-2008, 12:58 AM
yeah that's right, I forgot to mention they were filming for T.U. The guy I talked to said they caught some monsters the day before on the trophy section. He also said he's never fished this area before and it compares to any other river he's fished across the country. He said the SOHO is now on the top of his list.

Selfishly I hate to see this...:rolleyes: All we need are more crowds...however, more interest means more for the local economy which in turn lets the "powers" that be know that the river is valuable...works both ways I guess...

milligan trout degree
02-26-2008, 01:20 AM
I agree with you. I don't want such quality tailwaters to be overrun either. That was one of my first thoughts, but now I'm thinking that anyone who is watching this show and lives in the area probably already knows about both these rivers, and anyone not living in the area isn't going to make a trip to the river every week to fish. Both these rivers are already very much public knowledge, so I don't think this show is letting out any secrets to anyone who doesn't already know besides folks living outside the general area. If they were filming great fishing on some remote Smokies stream, then I could see more of an impact. I don't think this gonna bring about much change at all really. Maybe the guides will have another few days booked up, but I don't imagine they're complaining there.

Atleast I hope it doesn't change the rivers.

Grumpy
02-26-2008, 08:49 AM
With water rights rapidly dwindling in the west, i'd say it's just a matter of time:eek:

Grumpy

CinciVol
02-26-2008, 09:55 AM
I checked the Outdoor Network's webpage and it looks like you can watch most of their programs on your computer. I think that's what I'll have to do.

stuart
02-27-2008, 07:04 PM
Selfishly I hate to see this...:rolleyes: All we need are more crowds...however, more interest means more for the local economy which in turn lets the "powers" that be know that the river is valuable...works both ways I guess...

Ditto.

STU