PDA

View Full Version : Big South Fork Fishing?

YoungBuck1
02-26-2008, 06:00 PM
I'm going camping at Big South Fork this weekend and have never been/fished the area. Are the rivers fishable? Can you fish them this time of year? Thanks for the help!

ajh10567
02-26-2008, 07:00 PM
Youngbuck,
I went to big south fork last november, and the fishing was fair. I hiked down to bandy creek and fished it for just one day. I caught several smallies on a white beadhead streamer. The water was really down so I can't tell you how it will fish right now. Do you know what river you will be fishing?

Flyfishjeep
02-26-2008, 09:23 PM
Some of my co-workers hiked up there a lot and spin fish for smallies. they have had great luck everytime. If I remember them right,they said that they could see some large trout, but they could never catch them. Hmmm I wonder why? They went in the summer when the water is warmer. I don't know how active the fish will be, but it looks like you will have some nice days to fish. The nights look cold, so be careful.
Make sure you take some pics of your trip and fish.

KnoxBioBenz
02-27-2008, 01:42 AM
Youngbuck,
I have wanted to fish that area for the past year. I hear the river is gorgeous and there are several places to putin and takeout w/ a canoe or kayak. Will you please let us know how the fishing is up there. Thanks

Marmot
02-27-2008, 01:42 AM
I have fished up there some.. There are some nice smallmouth in there. I have had decent success in the Summer months but I have never tried it in the Winter..

Marmot

YoungBuck1
02-27-2008, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the info. I'll definitely report on it when I get back. I'm camping at the angel falls overlook and I know there's a river right below there. I'm not sure which one it is - i'm really unfamiliar with the area. I'm not expecting the fishing to be great since it's winter but we'll see what happens...

TroutAssasin
02-27-2008, 08:42 PM
I personally have never heard of anyone catching any trout up there. I have heard there is some good smallmouth fishing. It seems like there should be some cool water creeks up there that could hold a good rainbow population.

snaildarter
02-27-2008, 08:46 PM
I fished there a lot in years past. Most of the good spots are hard to reach without floating. Few things to know:

- There are few trout streams, unless they've started doing winter-only stockings somewhere, which I wouldn't know about. If you want trout, you can focus on the few streams there that hold them, but it's really not worth your effort.
- That Angel Falls area is going to be hard to catch a fish out of if you are new to the area, and in the winter. If you are like me, you would bring a pole anyway.
- If you really want to have a chance at a few bass, and the weather decides to cooperate, and you don't mind driving an hour from where you'll park for Angel Falls, drive to the Peter's Bridge or Zenith accesses (look on a BSF map that you'll get from the Rangers stations; you used to need a 4wd for Zenith, but now who knows), and walk the banks, fishing the deep holes, slowly with something like a big bugger.

Hope that helps!

snaildarter
02-27-2008, 08:57 PM
@TroutAssassin: There are a few trout streams, but they are marginal. A few on the Kentucky side are stocked pretty well, though... One was Rock Creek. Or at least it used to be.

That BSF area is huge, and a few of the smallest streams are able to support naturalized trout for a few of their miles. All in all, it's just not a trout fishing destination. A lot of the streams are still impacted by mining, too, like much of the New River fork.