PDA

View Full Version : Bald River

KnoxBioBenz
02-27-2008, 01:54 AM
Hey Guys, Newbie here. I have only been FF for about a year and I am planning on fishing the Bald River this weekend. I might camp out overnight (weather permitting).

My question is this; what flies do you think I should bring along; specifically-
dry flies??
nymps??
streamers??

I have fished the Bald River once before and I was completely awestruck by its beauty. I can't imagine what it will look like compared to the meager flow of last June.

Zack

Grumpy
02-27-2008, 09:04 AM
Dries i like Para Adams or lil Stimulators in yellow or orange, a TN Wulff works pretty good to.
Nymphs, hares ear, PT's or Princes in the 8-10 range with heavy shot
Streamers, dark colored buggers or even some stoneflies.
They have worked for me, then there's been times, especially this time of year that i just fished, they didn't bite:eek: still worth the trip though:biggrin:

Grumpy

oody3wt
02-27-2008, 12:43 PM
If you dont mind a little bit of a hike there's a pretty awsome meadow with some undercut bank and deepish water. An approach from upstream staying out of the water for the most part would be a good place to work a streamer. A heavy nymph with 16-18 dropper would be a good bet maybe even a small egg dropper. best of luck and take care, that creek can get a little sketchy.

KnoxBioBenz
02-28-2008, 12:17 AM
I think I am going to have to back out of the overnight trip but I think I will be able to fish on Saturday afternoon. I only have a few para adams, prince nymphs, what types of streamers should I fish in the meadeow? Also, how far up the trail from the falls is the meadow?

oody3wt
02-28-2008, 12:13 PM
I'm not a good judge on distance but i'd say 2 miles give or take. The trail come to a switch back and its pretty much a climb up the side of a ridge to get up to it, that'll be about 1/3 of the distance. Your streamers should be black, olive, or brown a litte flashabou or cristal chenile wont hurt, sizes 4-8. Hope i got the distance right, send a report, best of luck.

KnoxBioBenz
02-28-2008, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the heads up on that one. I will go home and check that out on my topo. I doubt I will be able to make it 2 miles due to the fact that I am only going to be able to fish about half the day. Maybe next time though, right.

I have fished a little w/ streamers and had varying success I am going to the Creel tomorrow and I will check out what they have there.

Rockyraccoon
02-29-2008, 12:40 AM
Once I made a early morning trip to the river. Got rigged up and found that I'd left all of my flies at home, on my tying table where I'd loaded them the night before.

30 minutes of work in an easy access area netted me 10 flies or so out of the stream side trees. Some were new, others were lightly rusted......I fished all day and caught plenty of fish.

So don't be worried if you run out.....you'll find more! :)