PDA

View Full Version : Snow!!!

David Knapp
02-27-2008, 12:42 PM
Mt. Leconte is getting dumped on...up to 17 inches as of 7:30 this morning (http://www.srh.noaa.gov/productview.php?pil=RTPMRX)and still snowing.... Leconte could fairly easily get up to 30+ inches, wouldn't surprise me at all... A similar event in late winter/early spring a year or two ago produced 36 inches in about 24 hours up there...:eek:

ttas67
02-27-2008, 12:59 PM
david, where do you get this information? I have to travel over the pass friday and need to be current w/ it. thanks

CinciVol
02-27-2008, 01:25 PM
Awesome! I love the smokies in the snow. Plus I love the fact that everything we get helps against the drought. It's good to get an honest winter every now and again.

sammcdonald
02-27-2008, 01:48 PM
865-436-1200 then 2 then 2....road closures in gsmnp

Byron Begley
02-27-2008, 02:04 PM
It is really is beautiful in the Smokies today. It's been hard to get work done because I am distracted by the view. It is snowing again. :smile:

Byron

David Knapp
02-27-2008, 02:24 PM
Trevor, for actual closures, the number that Sam posted is probably best as far as being up to date but you can also get this information on the park website. As to the link to snowfall totals, check the link in the original post ("this morning")...

Byron, if I was you, I believe I'd find a way to get on a stream:biggrin: ...fishing in the snow is a unique experience...

buckeyetrouter
02-27-2008, 04:47 PM
hey David....I believe you are right about fishing in the snow, I believe the only thing that may beat it is wing shooting behind a good dog in the woods with large snow flakes falling.... now that is awsome

buckeyetrouter

flyman
02-27-2008, 05:11 PM
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/productview.php?pil=RTPMRX

fishingjunky
03-01-2008, 11:24 AM
Here is one of many I took this past week. What a beautiful snowfall. Yeah photography is one more of my many hobbies!! Hehe I think this will show the image. I'll have to see.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj70/fishingjunky72/Smokys-snow1.jpg

fishingjunky
03-01-2008, 11:34 AM
Ok, here is one more for you to see. A Little smaller for those with slower connections.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj70/fishingjunky72/Smokys-snow2.jpg

BlueRaiderFan
03-01-2008, 11:59 AM
Wow, thanks for sharing. That is beautiful.

ALflygirl
03-01-2008, 09:56 PM
Great photos!!

tomwicker
03-06-2008, 11:54 PM
You all are really lucky to have scenery like that. Here all we have is white sand and Palm trees with a splash of planted flowers here and there. Our woods consist of some over grown brush or else tall pines that just about covers them. No running streams with fresh trout just a river here and there, we do produce some nice bass here I might add but that covers much of the fresh water fishing other than Brim I think you all might call it a Blue Gill?

I seen earlier in a post that was made about the dangers of getting off the beaten path while fishing. Here it is better to stay off the paths we do have our Porch Puppies to tend with (Gators) I seen a 12 footer today sunning while looking for some Redfish You all have your copperheads I believe someone said here we have our Cotton Mouths just waiting at waters edge for you.

Mention was also made of sheer cliffs, man what I would give to have some here we have our swamps and bayous No hills at all .
The next time you walk out your door and look to the hills at all that beauty the lord blessed you all with just remember how lucky you are

nvr2L8
03-07-2008, 09:03 AM
Tom,

Thanks for your perspective. We truly are blessed to have the Smokies in our back yard. It's a beautiful place regardless of the season.

Paula Begley
03-08-2008, 10:10 AM
It rained during the night and when we woke there was no snow. It started about 8 a.m. and it is coming down hard! The ground is starting to turn white and all rooftops are covered.

Yippee! :biggrin:

Paula

nvr2L8
03-08-2008, 10:38 AM
Got your sled waxed?

Gerry Romer
03-08-2008, 11:04 AM
It rained during the night and when we woke there was no snow. It started about 8 a.m. and it is coming down hard! The ground is starting to turn white and all rooftops are covered.

Yippee! :biggrin:

Paula

Paula --

I'm looking out at the Greenbelt and it, too, is covered. Pretty as a picture postcard.

Okay, now that I've gotten that out of my system, let's get back to Spring! :biggrin:

Gerry

Paula Begley
03-08-2008, 11:19 AM
Got your sled waxed?

Charlie...that sucker has been ready and waiting for the last 7 years! :biggrin:

Brang it on! I need a sledding fix! Nothing like the threat of bodily injury while traveling at great speed over ice and snow, I say. ;)

Then, everyone can have their spring...honest.

Paula

Jswitow
03-08-2008, 05:10 PM
I have a couple of sleds I brought from Louisville, leftover from when I was a kid and we used to sled alot! I heard Louisville rec'd 12" yesterday, hard to believe that being 150 miles south makes such a difference! Can't say I miss it very often, but it is beautiful in the mountains. You are right this is beautiful country, don't think I will ever move from this region.
Little bit of a shame for our son though, he has been sledding once in his 10 years! I am ready for spring as well though.
Best,
John

FishNHunt
03-08-2008, 07:32 PM
Foothills Parkway was closed at 1 pm today when I attempted to go up. HA!!!! Surely they didn't think this ole country boy didn't know of an alternate route up there did they??? Top O the World had about 4 inches and it came down hard for some time. I left at 5pm and it was melting alittle but the air temp was right at 24 degrees. It was absolutely beautiful.

sammcdonald
03-08-2008, 09:32 PM
JSwitow,
sledding in louisville would have been good in seneca park with that much snow...just gotta stop before going into beargrass creek