PDA

View Full Version : Old Fashioned Fish Camp

buckeyetrouter
03-02-2008, 08:53 AM
I know this has been talked about, but is there any interest in doing an old fashioned fish camp with folks from this board........

bob

limbsnagger
03-02-2008, 07:42 PM
Hey buckeye. The old thread you're probably refering to was one I had posted after reading one of Byrons fishing reports in which reference to opening day of trout season and the experieces of being in towns like Roscoe. There wherer a couple of people interested including yourself. Honestly, I'd thought that type of thing would have gotten a little stronger response but people are all different. I suppose some folks probably don't camp as much as they fish. Actually I wonder if people in general camp as much as in times since gone? Then theres the whole meeting & dealing with folks you've not realy met except on the net which some may think is rolling dice on a good fishing trip & honestly that may not be unfounded. Speaking from experience I've gone first time fishing with guys and had a blast & I've taken some fellas with me & they ruined the day with winning about not catching 20 fish or they just moaned and groaned in general. Fishing buddies are usually selected out carefully & alot of guys will not camp/fish with anybody else once those circles are formed. Personally, I'm type of person that will take a chance on any one once; so I'd be up for something myself! Would be willing to help get camp site or set a date but the problem is trying to reserve something and not knowing how many folks might or might not show.

Chad

Byron Begley
03-02-2008, 08:23 PM
Chad and Bob,

I totally missed that thread. Interesting idea. I started looking for a fish camp here in 1980. My best friend Frank Brown from Kentucky and I were going to buy one as a partnership. Instead we settled on buying land next to each other in the late 80's. His land is still here with no structures but I built a house on mine. Top on our list of criteria was it had to be on a trout stream. I ended up buying 11 acres with a trout stream running through it. Now, with all of the streams and rivers around here owning a stream is not as big a deal as it was back then. I lived in Nashville and it was a dream come true. I hardly ever go down there anymore. I prefer to drive an extra 10 minutes and be on the Middle Prong. At one time some guys got together and bought a camp on a tailwater nearby. The story I've heard, one of the buys ruined it for the others. He got caught there cheating on his wife. The camp folded soon after. People say one of the members bought it, he and his wife moved there and later he passed away. I knew him and a couple of the other original members. My friend Frank has a hunting camp in Kentucky. We spend a couple of weeks there every year during turkey and deer season. It is like a home away from home. There are liability issues to consider, insurance, buy/sell agreements and other legal things to think about. But it is an interesting concept. Land and cabins are expensive here, especially on the Little River. My experience on owning multiple homes or condos boils down to this. It's cheaper and more flexible to rent. Now, if you want to buy raw land to build a pavillion, have power and water, bring in a portajohn when people are there, and use it for camping that might be a feasible option.

Byron

Byron Begley
03-02-2008, 08:35 PM
I kinda missed the idea. You are talking about organizing a camping trip at a campground?

Byron

Sweepercts
03-02-2008, 09:12 PM
Hi Guys,

Actually this is something that we do at least twice a year up here. Sometimes we stay in a pop up and sometimes a tent, but always it is rustic at best. And that makes it all worth while because the less amenities the harder we fish and even then we don't probably fish as hard as we can. The salmon camp story over at TCS is about that camp. It is now in its 11th year and we also have spring camp where we chase steelhead or trout. There is a core group of guys and it always seems like there is a new face or two. If you have that core, the guys that whine or don't fitusually just drop out. We have fun with it though and if you can get that core of 4-5 guys together I recommend it for sure.

Chuck

www.thecedarsweeper.com (http://www.thecedarsweeper.com)

buckeyetrouter
03-02-2008, 09:28 PM
so let's extend out an invitation to try a fish camp (renting campsites or hiking back a bit) and see what response we get....

here it goes......wanting to start a once a year or spring & fall fish camp - who might be interested ? ? ? Looking to start something that is annual tradition type of get together.......
could start out as a long weekend type of thing.....

bob

ijsouth
03-02-2008, 09:47 PM
I'm up for it, particularly after the kids are out of school.

limbsnagger
03-02-2008, 11:34 PM
I'm jazzed up about this one! I'm in definetly. Looking foward to meeting you folks. Will be glad to help any way I can.:smile:

Chad

guerillafish
03-02-2008, 11:51 PM
Time permitting I would be up for it. I'd love to get the opportunity to meet you guys and to get some insight into fishing the park since I'm new to the sport.

TB

David Knapp
03-03-2008, 12:16 AM
I might be interested, time allowing of course... I already come up to camp fairly often anyway...:biggrin:

buckeyetrouter
03-03-2008, 07:31 AM
ok guys looks like we may be rolling! Now we need someone to organize or even 2 someones to organize. Being way up north in Ohio it would be hard for me to do some of these things so if there are any takers to help and see if we can get this going, step forward......

things to concider:

length of trip
timing of trip ( between classes for some of America's finest minds)
elkmont or hike in campsite
how many to take in
etc
etc
etc

God Bless & Good Fishing
bob

The Principal
03-03-2008, 06:03 PM
My Cousin and I would be interested in the undeveloped land
for a fishing camp. Can you suggest some contacts? Send a personal
email if you would rather.

The Principal Ambition: The one who says it can't be done is generally
passed up by someone doing it.

buckeyetrouter
03-03-2008, 06:26 PM
I believe this will be approached more as a camp trip to an exsisting site and not a purchase of land to use for the annual trips....

bob

The Principal
03-03-2008, 06:32 PM
I ment to address the land purchase to Byron. I didn't mean
to confuse the issue, which after reading my post I can see that it did.
Sorry about that.

rainBBow
03-03-2008, 07:55 PM
I am interested.

limbsnagger
03-03-2008, 10:11 PM
I'll be on little river fishing tomorow. I'll check out available camp sites and find out what needs to be done to reseve them. Setting a date is probably priority number one @ this point. I'm thinking possibly some time in April which is not far off but would give folks time to plan. Would love to try to shoot for spring break type of thing. I don't know who all would be coming from where but I'm thinking for students in schools up north spring break is held earlier then down here. Any help or suggestions from folks on setting date would be appreciated. Will attempt to do this when most available for most people.

Thanks,:smile:
Chad

Sweepercts
03-03-2008, 11:00 PM
Snagger,

We usually put together a flyer letting people know when and where. We also let them know a little bit about what will go on (i.e, be ready to fish hard and walk. Please bring your own camping, fishing gear, and food.). Then we let the chips fall where they may. I think I mentioned that we had a few lean years but always a good time, you can't make people come. So, go with what is best for the core that has decided to put it together.

Set that date and let people know what to expect, that is about all you can do. Have fun though that is the important thing. I know that we have a blast at our camps every year.

Chuck

(http://www.thecedarsweeper.com)

David Knapp
03-04-2008, 12:12 AM
Elkmont is a good idea...and I have a suggestion. With the new online reservation system, it is possible to reserve specific campsites. It might be easiest for everyone or small groups to reserve individual campsites all in one area. That way there are not any issues with making sure to collect $$$ from everyone but we are still in the same area, etc... Just a thought...

limbsnagger
03-04-2008, 12:13 AM
So much for fishing little river tomorow. Looks like the old jet stream express is blowing through with some fairly rough weather! I'll still be in LRO tomorow to pick up a few things and will spend some more time trying to plan. Talk to ya later.

Chad

limbsnagger
03-04-2008, 12:29 AM
Chuck & David,

Just read your posts. Those are excellent ideas/thoughts. I was already leaning toward elkmont site. We all fish little river watershed and elkmont is just so centeraly located to lrg. amt. of good fishing. Also, I camped once with some guys who had fly tying station set up in a tent cause they just liked to ty almost as much as fish! I've got several old Indain vices that still work well enough and a decent sized camp table. I'm not bringing my new Renzeti.:biggrin: Thought you guiys might want to make use of it and could help yourselves. Plus, I don't know about everyone else but I'm sure I could pick up a few pointers myself. Just a thought.

Chad

budman
03-04-2008, 04:55 PM
I would be interested wherever the location, depending on the time decided, of course. I would like to also throw out a suggestion for campsites, being McNabb Creek in CNF. It is a large open field that you reserve as a group campsite & can accomodate up to probably 40-50 people easily. It is a stones throw from the North River, & very close to the Bald & Tellico. The beauty of it is the isolation as the group are the only ones in the campground, & the only other campground nearby by is the North River CG which is about a mile up NR Road. Just a thought, the whole idea seems like a great idea.

limbsnagger
03-04-2008, 09:05 PM
Thinking about April 18-20th, Fri-Sun. Hows that sound? Thought this would give folks plenty of time to make preperations if need be & April is one dang good month to be fishing in east Tennessee with both nymphs and dry fly fishing starts to pick up at that point. I think the suggested camp grounds elkmont, and the camp grounds in Cherokee national forest mentioned in last post sounded good. The ones in Cherokee also makes easy driving distance to Hiwassee tailwater & some folks might want to do that to. Also, noticed today there was a KOA campground right at the park enterance in Townsend know. If other camp sites can not accomodate everyone the KOA may make a good back up plan.

Thanks for input!
Keep it coming.:cool:

Chad

limbsnagger
03-06-2008, 10:51 PM
O.K. No response to proposed date. So, currently this is what is available in Elkmont on those dates (April 18-20). There is lrg# of first come first serves that may be available. There is one group tent site available site gp04 which has 20 person max. Books in advance for $35. . Does this sound interesting to any one or maybe a different date.

buckeyetrouter
03-10-2008, 07:35 PM
hey Limbsnagger......

I think I could do either date.....I think this is worth a repeat effort and would be a blast.......anyone elst that could work those dates in or others suggestions.....thanks for taking the time to get this rolling Limbsnagger..

bob

Speckleman5
03-13-2008, 11:16 PM
I can never find anyone to go with me. I love going camping and Fishing, but My "Fishing Buddies" All have different work schedules or are in school. I live in Waynesville,NC and Frequently tread the trails and headwaters on this side of the Park. I am a big fan of anything running off of Clingmans Dome on this side or Cataloochee, but I am also only 25 and have been fishing artificial for only 3 years, I consider myself decent but Could pick up some things as well. I don't know if I could get it worked out for April, but I am definitely interested. Don't forget that almost all of the backcountry sites have capacity for several people.

ttas67
03-14-2008, 09:38 AM
I could probably do a saturday night.

Trouttater
03-14-2008, 10:04 AM
I also could probably get a Sat night kitchen pass. I will keep an eye out for the selected date. April 18-20 might prove to be difficult, but we will see what everyone agrees to.

Brad

David Knapp
03-14-2008, 11:01 AM
I could likely come that weekend but will probably be getting a single site as I'll probably have some friends along... Definitely would like to stop by and meet some people and maybe fish with some new friends...

Trouttater
03-14-2008, 07:48 PM
I will be out the weekend of the 18th. Mom and Dad are coming from Utah to see their grandkids. Dad would understand, but Mom and my wife wouldn't.

limbsnagger
03-28-2008, 10:38 AM
Been a while since this one has had any hits. I'm thinking that looks to me like we've got most folks who are interested in doing this on board. Sorry I've not posted on this or any other forums for a while I've been out of commission lately with sever case of coodies/flu/cabin fever.:eek:

I suppose I'll stick to the proposed dates of Fri-Sun April 18-20th. I'll be camped at Elkmont. Look for blue honda civic Cumberland county tags. Please feel free to come over and chew the fat.

I think I'll go fishing today.

C-ya!
Chad