PDA

View Full Version : Holston Below Cherokee

CinciVol
03-02-2008, 10:42 AM
I tried out the Holston directly below Cherokee dam yesterday and had some good luck. There was a midge hatch like I've never seen before going on and I caught 5 fish in a couple of hours, but they were all quality fish. Four were 14-15 inch 'bows and one (that I thought was a snag) turned out to be a 17" 'bow, my new career best. I caught all my fish in the faster runs. there were tons of trout feeding on emergers in the slow runs, but they had little interest in my offerings. Fish were feeding everywhere and it was a great day to be on the water.

fishNlady
03-02-2008, 10:51 AM
sigh....I sat at work for 11 hours yesterday dreaming that I was on the Holston...........

Thats great that you were able to be there and enjoy the day! I had planned to go today but had unexpected things pop up that dug into my time to hit a tailwater. I may still have a couple of hours to hit Greenbrier or Cosby creek later today if I'm lucky. It is just to gorgeous of a day to sit in the house! Sppring is so close now I can smell it! :biggrin:

milligan trout degree
03-03-2008, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the report. Do you mind me asking if you were fishing the area just downstream of the dam, or were you on another spot? I ask because I plan on spending pretty much a full day below the dam on thursday since my S. Holston all day adventure was cancelled for unforseen circumstances on sunday. I'm glad you pulled some bigger fish out of there, Im excited. I haven't caught any fish bigger than 14 or 15 inches, but I did hook a bow that was pushing 20, but he got off the size 22 midge. The midge hatch is crazy there isn't it? Fish rise everywhere, and are picky as heck.

mikebone
03-03-2008, 02:53 PM
We floated the river yesterday starting at the dam and had very good fishing all the way down. No caddis yet but tons of midges. All the late November stocked trout are in great shape and getting fat. After last year's dry, hot summer I was worried about the holdover fish (we measured the water temp in August at 78 degrees) but from what we found and other people are saying, a good number of those fish made it. Our largest fish was 17 inches but we caught a pretty impressive number of 13 to 15 inch trout. Should be a great year.

CinciVol
03-03-2008, 04:25 PM
I was fishing just downstream from the dam. You're right, the trout were VERY picky in the slow water, but seemed to be a little more gullible on the fast parts.

FYI, if you haven't fished there before, the "pulse" they send down the river periodically throughout the day is a pretty serious amount of water and nothing to mess with. Keep an eye out for rising water and take a lunch/nap break during the pulses...

Rockyraccoon
03-03-2008, 04:51 PM
The pulse is close to 2200 CFS. That's a lot of water.

ajh10567
03-03-2008, 07:05 PM
Just to give you guys a heads up I fished the Holston at nances ferry and there was also a good midge hatch down there, caught about eight fish in a couple hours although none were bigger than 14 inches.