PDA

View Full Version : Going to the North River with MTFF

Vern
03-02-2008, 02:01 PM
I am going on the MTFF outing to the North. I have never fished in this area and it sounds like GSMNP style of fishing. Does anyone have any suggestions of areas to fish, I am really going up there for the dry fly fishing. We will be at the primitive camp ground out of Tellico Plains. March 15th should be some hatches going on.

oody3wt
03-02-2008, 06:09 PM
One of my favorite stretches is the gorge that starts right above campsite #4. good water and a good place to pick up a brown. good water around #8 and 9 if you like it on the skinny side. be sure to give a good report.best of luck.

tennswede
03-02-2008, 08:33 PM
I was up there scouting today. Water temp 47. Snow on top of the hills. We need warmer nights.

Shaggy
03-03-2008, 12:28 PM
I went up the North on Saturday, put some flies in the water in a few places. Still, no sign of fish. I then decided to explore and drove way up the North to the point that there was a small creek. Supposedly, there are some brookies up there, but I dont see how you could possibly fish for them in the brush surrounding the creek. I would love to catch one some day just to get a pic of it and prove they are there.

Anyway, there are browns on the North River and Tellico? Were they stocked there at one point in time? I still have never caught a trout in the Tellico area, but did not know there were browns up there. I am going to spy on one of you guys one day fishing those waters to see how you do it!:cool:

tennswede
03-03-2008, 04:50 PM
Browns show up more regularily above North River Campground. There are some stream structures done by stream restoration folks some years ago. This area has long slick pools where the brown lives. I have caught a few up that way in the 1990's. I don't think they stock any browns or bows in North River nowadays.

Stonefly
03-03-2008, 06:34 PM
Unless things have changed, there's no stocking of anything in the North or the Bald. All wild fish. The Bald used to be good for browns, haven't been up there in a while though.

sb

tennswede
03-03-2008, 09:30 PM
They tried to reintroduce some Brookies a few years ago, hence my statement no stocking nowadays. I don't know how the brookies fared though. Info anyone?

Shaggy
03-04-2008, 06:40 PM
I have been told that the Chattanooga chapter of TU along with TWRA does some electroshocking every year around August way up the North River on some of the feeder streams to count and measure brookies. Apparently they have no trouble finding plenty, some good size as well ( up to 9 inches).

JNTN
03-07-2008, 11:31 PM
I fish the Tellico area alot so I can share some info on some of the questions asked (in no particular order). There is not any stocking what so ever in any streams other than Tellico and Citico. There are brookies in the headwaters of all the major tributary streams, some are quite large depending on wich stream you fish because some are northern strain and others are southern strain. There are browns in the North but Bald river is a much better choice if thats what your targeting. With that being said, the North is a much better fishery if species is not a concern. I try to overlook the most obvious spots though, simply because the North does see more pressure. Get away from the road and hit the little nooks and crannies and you can have a great trip!