PDA

View Full Version : Clinch Report ???

Sage
03-03-2008, 01:11 PM
Found a couple hour gap in the schedule Wednesday after lunch and was thinking of heading toward the Clinch given the gen. schedule is ok. Was wondering if anyone had been lately and how it is? Same old midges and nymphs?

Thanks in advance,
BH

ajh10567
03-03-2008, 07:00 PM
Hey I fished the Clinch on Saturday and Sunday. I brought about 5 five fish up on saturday with a 20 zebra midge. Nothing to big caught about a 12 inch brown but that was as big as it got. Sunday was very frustrating i caught a couple small ones on a midge also but nothing much was rising.

JimmyC
03-03-2008, 09:27 PM
Did very well on the Clinch Sunday. Same pattern as above, 20 Zebra Midge, black or red. Can't wait to get back. I'm still grinning about it!

tennswede
03-03-2008, 09:32 PM
Have you guys tried down at the jail yet, this spring?

monktrout
03-03-2008, 10:43 PM
tennswede, I'm thinking the jail area won't fish well until April. At least that has been my experience. Hopefully a good sulphur hatch by late April.

Jimmyc, Sounds like the fishing gods were pleased with your offering. Give us more on your good day.

UofMontanaAlum
03-04-2008, 08:24 AM
I feel its picking up. It has been very slow for the past few months. I was on the Clinch both Saturday and Sunday. Both days treated me very well. Fished a crackleback on Saturday with success. Tried the same crackleback on Sunday and had no takers so I switched to a top-secret midge and started hooking up in some faster moving water.

JimmyC
03-04-2008, 12:27 PM
Hey, monktrout

I don't like to shoot off at the mouth too much because in the end I feel it can bite me! And nobody likes a braggart. But I will say that, before Sunday, my personal best below the weir was a 19 inch bow. I did better than that Sunday, twice. My dad had the numbers, though. Since friendly competition among fathers and sons is completely sanctioned by the fishing gods, we argued size over quantity. But, size aside, I almost wish we went to the park what with all the hatches people were reporting. And being a bit more secluded is nicer than a crowded Clinch. Have a good one!

James

Sage
03-04-2008, 02:42 PM
UofMont,
Were you more toward the dam or the jail over the weekend?

Thanks to all who have posted,
BH

Green Weenie
03-04-2008, 03:48 PM
Fished a little while yesterday. Moved some really good fish down at Miller's Island. And by moved, I mean spooked.:p

I did manage to catch a few, though. The best of the day was a brown that stretched out about 14". Most of the fish I caught were really solid. So much so that I am considering using the 5wt next time. Those fish were really giving that 3wt a fit!

92Esquire
03-04-2008, 07:14 PM
I'll admit it, I stunk it up on Saturday. Started below the dam right when the generation went off. I stayed down there for about 45 minutes fishing a succession of 18 and 20 zebra midges to no avail.

I then went to Miller's Island and worked my way down the left size. I had a strike in about the middle of the houses, probably the largest rainbow I've had on. Unfortunately due to the high sun I was fishing a 7X tippet and popped him off quickly. Made my way to the bottom of the island and then started up the far side. Fish rising, not a touch.

Every once in a while you have to get a day that makes you question your committment.