Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Backcountry (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Backcountry camping fishing trip (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10031)

marcusp 03-08-2008 09:35 AM

Backcountry camping fishing trip

A couple of friends and I are planning a hiking/fishing/one night camping trip in the smokies at the end of the month and we were going to camp at site 17 but I read on internet that the site is closed. What do you recommend for such trip.

PeteCz 03-08-2008 11:16 AM

Lots of Options

You might want to switch to campsite 24, if you are looking to do a backpacking/fishing trip. Its up the Little River Trail from the Elkmont campground. You need to make a reservation, but my guess is that not many folks will be up that way. The weather is quite fickle right now, but hopefully by the end of March it will have improved.

For reservations of backcountry campsites from the nps.gov site:
If your itinerary includes a reserved site or any shelter, you must call the Backcountry Reservation Office at (865) 436-1231 to make reservations. The Backcountry Reservation Office is open from 8:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. daily. You may make reservations up to one month in advance of the first day of your trip.

If you had your heart set on fishing Abrams Creek, you could stay at the Abrams Creek Campground (from where you would have to park your car, anyway) and hike up to CS#17 to fish. The Abrams Creek Campground is actually fairly small and not too bad (as far as front-country campsites go). You could also camp at CS#1, which is a small site, but not too bad either.

Another option is #18 on the WP of LR. The fishing is not as good, but its quick to get to (1.8miles hiking) and the site is nice.

My money would be on #24. Its a bit of a longer hike, but the fishing should be good and the trail is relatively flat, so you should be able to get there in no time.

KnoxBioBenz 03-08-2008 10:30 PM

I honestly can't believe that it is still closed. Does anyone actually know why it is closed?

crpntr191 03-10-2008 09:48 AM

I spoke with a volunteer in the back country office on Friday, 3/7, and both 17 & 15 are closed due to bear activity. Strange for this time of year, but I was at campsite 20 in the Elkmont area this weekend and saw bear tracks in the snow.

cardfly 03-11-2008 09:40 PM

I do have the itch to go into the backcountry and try a short trip my self but.....................

Why do they close sites down due to "bear activity"???? What exactly is that or do I really want to know.:eek:

sammcdonald 03-12-2008 05:40 PM

bear activity usually means that a bear or bears have pretty much set up camp themselves.......the remedy, generally, is to trap the rapscallions and move them to another area. it could also mean that there is a denning mother in the immediate area which is not a good thing for campers.