Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Smoky Mountain Fishing (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Where to camp April 2 - April 5 (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10075)

Aaron871 03-13-2008 10:25 PM

Where to camp April 2 - April 5

Where is a good location to camp and fish during this time frame. We were thinking that on our first trip we would camp "front country".

Is it feasable to camp at Cades Cove and fish Abrams Creek one day and above Elkmont the next and some little prong the last day, or are these places too far apart to drive and make day trips?

Instead, should we camp near one stream and concentrate our efforts in one area?

All input is appriccated, I read this forum a lot and am very thankfull for it....

Hugh Hartsell 03-14-2008 07:00 AM

Camping And Fishing

Aaron,
You certainly can camp at Cades Cove and fish Abrams and other streams, or you can camp at Elkmont Campground and fish Little River,Abrams, or other small streams. The biggest factor is that you need to get reservations and do it quickly or it might get congested. Let us know how your trips go.
Hugh

buckeyetrouter 03-14-2008 07:06 AM

Aaron.....I prefer Elkmont for camping (can't really say why) but I think it does open give you access to more water........don't forget to hit Tremont....

bob

Rog 1 03-14-2008 09:03 AM

I too prefer Elkmont...personally feel it is the best of the front country sites...you can fish right in the campground....walk as high up as you want to go....fish the little river below Elkmont.....you are also only about 10 minutes from all the quiet walkways along the WP of the little pigeon between Gburg and the Chimneys....if you do go to Elkmont...don't forget to poke along Jakes Creek from where it flows into the LR....

Aaron871 03-14-2008 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh Hartsell (Post 49314)
Aaron,
You certainly can camp at Cades Cove and fish Abrams and other streams, or you can camp at Elkmont Campground and fish Little River,Abrams, or other small streams. The biggest factor is that you need to get reservations and do it quickly or it might get congested. Let us know how your trips go.
Hugh

They won't let me reserve a site, it's the "walk in season".
What are the odds it will be full at Elkmont when I get there?

Rog 1 03-14-2008 05:04 PM

I have usually had good luck at getting a walk in site....these sites are accessed from a single parking lane and most sites are within 20-30 yards of the car.....nice little area....you might also look at Cosby....nice little brookie stream thru camp and you can fish Greenbrier area without getting into the Gburg traffic mess....

sammcdonald 03-14-2008 06:08 PM

elkmont should be good to go for walk in at the time you are coming. in fact, all the front country that is open should be good with the possible exception of big creek.
sam