Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Smoky Mountain Fishing (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Rods and Reels (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10117)

BlueRaiderFan 03-18-2008 05:19 PM

Rods and Reels

What length and weight rods and reels do you guys use. I have a 8'6" six weight rod that seems big in the park. I'm thinking of getting one around 6' and three weight.

patillac 03-18-2008 06:44 PM

Highsticker

I use either an 8' 4wt. or a 8' 3" 3wt. rod in the park. By big, do you mean long, or heavy/stiff/too much rod for an 8" fish? For me, the pro's of an 8' rod (extra reach, nymphing, looks cool) outweigh the con's (hitting trees, etc.) by far.

patillac 03-18-2008 06:48 PM

Oh yea, reels. I like one only big enough to hold my line (as light as possible). I shorten the line to fit.

BlueRaiderFan 03-18-2008 07:23 PM

Yeah, I meant too big to cast without getting hung up. I guess I meant too long. Thanks for sharing. I was thinking of taking mine back, but I think I'll keep it now.

jeffnles1 03-18-2008 08:42 PM

I have a7'6" 3wt and a 9' 5wt. They both have their place and their pros and cons. The short rod is nice when there's a lot of stuff overhead and it's just a lot of fun to fish. The longer one is better for high sticking and for keeping your fly line out of the water when there are a lot of conflicting currents pulling your line in 15 different directions at the same time.

I like them both for different reasons.

6wt may be a little more than you need in the park for the size of fish and bugs you're likely after. Of course, you really need to think of where you'll be using the rod the most and what you're after for most of your fishing. If it is only for the park, I'd probably go with a 3 or 4 wt. I use a 5wt in most of my fishing for bass and bluegill and it is also fine for the couple times a year I make it to the park to fish. I also like the 3wt on some of the small streams around here to fish for sunfish and bluegill. It is also fine in the park.

I hope this helps.

Jeff

BlueRaiderFan 03-18-2008 09:03 PM

Jeff,

Thanks. I think I may get a smaller set up for the mountain streams.

BRF

ijsouth 03-18-2008 10:18 PM

I wouldn't skimp too much on the length, even if you're fishing in tight conditions; it's easier to control your fly with a longer rod, and there are always ways to get around the brush, if you're creative. I have a 3wt that's a shade under 7ft, and a 2wt that is a little over 7ft, and those are my rods for the park. If I targeted the bigger fish in the larger streams, I might go with a heavier outfit, but I tend to stay with the smaller streams.

Grumpy 03-18-2008 11:01 PM

I tried fishing a 6' rod one day on a blue line, it worked me to death, nothing shorter than 7' from then on, reels, all ya need is a line holder.

Grumpy

Plunker 03-18-2008 11:43 PM

I agree with these Guys

I have a TFO pro 7'6" uplined with a 4wt Dbl.taper (on the advice of Gerry Romer here) It worked like a charm on my last trip to the park. I also had a 9' 5wt with me as well. I kept finding the 3wt in my hand while there, and often find it in my hand when fishing our Sipsey River Tailwater...seems to make 8" stockers a bit more interesting.

ttas67 03-19-2008 02:13 AM

8ft is about the perfect length for me. I too thought a 6'6" 2wt would be cool to fish in the park. I used it for a while then sold it. it is a blast to fish on occasion, but it's not too versitle. I'd suggest anything from a 7'6" to 8'6" in a 3 or 4 wt. my 2 cents.....