Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Smoky Mountain Fishing (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Deep Creek (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10264)

Roffwarg 04-04-2008 01:35 PM

Deep Creek

Hey everyone,

I'm new to this site and it looks like a great message board so I'm excited about keeping up with it and posting a report here and there when I get out and fish.

I'm taking my first trip to Deep Creek next weekend (11th-13th) and I just wanted to see if I could get a few pointers from those of you familiar with the water. I'll be staying at campsite 58 for two nights.
I'm wondering if my 8'-5wt or my 7'-3wt would be better?
Also, what length and # leader do you guys go with on this water?
I'd love to leave my waders behind and just use neoprene socks, but I'm thinking I should just take them. Any opinions on that?

Thanks guys, I can't wait for this trip.

russ 04-04-2008 01:43 PM

Either rod will be fine. I'd go with the 5wt myself.
7.5 foot tapered leaders, 5x
5x tippet
No waders.

mtnman2888 04-04-2008 01:51 PM

There are some monsters in that creek, so the 3wt would be fine unless you hooked into one of them. If you saw some of the fish that i saw last fall when the browns were out spawning, you would think twice about your desire to wet wade.............It's a great creek and you will enjoy it.

Craig

PeteCz 04-04-2008 02:20 PM

?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtnman2888 (Post 50786)
If you saw some of the fish that i saw last fall when the browns were out spawning, you would think twice about your desire to wet wade.......

?

Craig, do big browns bite?
:eek:

Keep your waders on boys...I hear banjo music....?
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

mtnman2888 04-04-2008 02:35 PM

Don't know if they become violent, but i do know that anything that big has to have some bite to it. They looked more like torpedoes in the water than fish, it was an incredible sight.

Craig

Speckleman5 04-04-2008 03:47 PM

wet wading

I rarely use my waders, but....Deep Creek is on of the coldest around, I wet wade in the winter so I am kinda used to it, but I would take them with me just in case, you can always leave them in the tent or hidden close by...I've never had a problem with people in Deep Creek.

MBB 04-04-2008 05:37 PM

I'd go with the five weight as it accomodates small dries and heavy nymphs.* I would probably go with a 10' leader for dries and a 7-9' leader for nymphs or streamers.* I would go 5X for dries and nymphs and 4X for streamers.I would certainly take waders.* I personally don't wet wade until May 1st.* Neoprene socks may be sufficient if you are fishing above Poke Patch, as it is smaller water.* I shudder to think what the water would feel like above the thigh.

judgebw 04-04-2008 08:53 PM

I'm planning to hike up to CS 59 from Wednesday through Friday. This will be my first trip to Deep Creek. My two 15 year old sons are new to fly fishing and are excited about the opportunity to catch their first wild trout with a fly rod! I think I'm more excited than they are-mainly just to have them be so willing to hang out with the old man! Of course, we plan to stop at LRO first to say hi and buy some stuff! I hope we cross paths.

Barry Willett

Roffwarg 04-05-2008 12:36 AM

Barry,

I'll look for you on Friday when we're hiking in. Save some fish for me!