Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Smoky Mountain Fishing (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   FF Tournaments in the Park? (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10282)

UTKFlyFisher 04-06-2008 09:27 PM

FF Tournaments in the Park?

Im just wondering if there are ever any FF tournaments held in the park? Also if one was to be held would there be any angler participation?

Troutman 04-07-2008 07:25 AM

Competition Fly Fishing

Don't know of any ever happening inside the park. Honestly, I hope there never is any either. I quit bass fishing on the local lakes because of the never ending tournaments going on. The competition brings out the rudeness in people. I feel like FF is supposed to be relaxing and a non competitive sport. There was a FF tourney recently over on the Davidson river in NC on the private water section but I don't think I would ever participate in any fishing competitions other than light hearted ribbing between fishing buddies. How does everyone else feel about this subject? Do you want to see more FF competitions on your local waters?

Bran 04-07-2008 07:38 AM

Troutman,
I, for one, wouldn't care anything about it. I did see a trout rodeo type of thing a few years ago in Pigeon Forge. They weighed in at Patriot Park. I just think we have enough competition in every other area of life, leave the fishing alone, particularly the Fly Fishing.--Bran

pineman19 04-07-2008 07:53 AM

I wouldn't be in favor of it in the Park, just doesn't seem to fit well with that area to me. I agree with opinion that there is enough competition in life as it is, like many of us I flyfish for relaxation, and the chance to enjoy the great outdoors. I don't even keep track of how many fish I catch, especially after I run out of fingers, LOL. Seems like the tailwaters are a better place for FF competions.

Neal

Stonefly 04-07-2008 08:09 AM

I saw a tournament on Outdoor Channel or some such -- one of the Rajeff's was in it and the locales were cool. But I feel pretty strongly that there's no place for competitive fly fishing. I'm not even much on counting fish.

sb

ijsouth 04-07-2008 08:41 AM

Wrong Place, Wrong Fish

I would be against it, and I suspect the Park Service would be too, because trout just aren't built for that type of handling and pressure. Bass, etc are more rugged; no problem chucking them in a livewell for a while before weighing them. The ones that I've seen on TV involving trout were measured on the spot before being released, but it was still a lot of handling, and it wasn't that many fishermen involved.

UTKFlyFisher 04-07-2008 08:45 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone, I was just trying to get a census on what people thought about it, there was an idea within our student chapter of the American fisheries society to have one so that we could raise money. They had discussed that no fish would of been taken from the park, just record largest fish, like they do in the FF world championships. But I do feel the same way, theres enough hooligans running around the park.

AKSkim 04-07-2008 09:58 AM

The National Park Service may have rules against commerical events inside any park.

jeffnles1 04-07-2008 11:11 AM

For some reason, tournament fishing really leaves me cold. I'm not against competition. I like a good NASCAR race, I like a good close basketball or baseball game. I enjoy competing in target shooting events.

To me, fishing is different. It's not a place where I want to be competitive. My job is stressful and has a lot of competition (middle management in a very large corporation), my life is stressful (teenage son, work, commute to work, work, aging grandmother and parents, did I mention work?, etc.). For me fishing is a way to escape all of that for a few hours.

Tourny fishing is just not my cup of tea. I would also not support it in the park. The fish are not stocked (wild fish) and I'm not sure the fishing pressure would be good for the streams. Even if it didn't hurt the stream, I sure wouldn't want to be in a stream fishing and have someone dressed up like a NASCAR driver "pay lake" my run because he cared more about winning the tournament than he did about my solitude.

Jeff

WRN 04-08-2008 07:08 PM

Transporting Fish

With all the new gadgets and science and when I have seen on TV how black bass are handled during tournaments why do fish have to be brought back to the dock to be weighed? Could not the weight be recorded at the time of the catch? This has to take a toll on any fish treated this way. Does anyone know of any truthful stats of survival rates?